Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Re: Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Postby cdscoot » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Kerbouchard wrote:Another one for newbs, just discovered yesterday:

When trying to put the bike up on the centerstand, make sure the parking brake is NOT set!!! You will not be able to move/lift it, because the back wheel has to roll back a little bit! :oops: (Also means bike has to be in Neutral...)

Looks like we've either covered everything for newbs, or everyone got bored with this thread.....

Cheers,

Kerbouchard

If you are going to change a wheel out when on the center stand make sure that you tie the center stand to the front frame or to the front wheel strut. If there is force that moves the bike foreword and it is unrestrained it will be setting on the mufflers if you had the wheel off already. You know why I already know this! :!:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Underhill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:55 pm

cdscoot wrote:
Kerbouchard wrote:Another one for newbs, just discovered yesterday:

When trying to put the bike up on the centerstand, make sure the parking brake is NOT set!!! You will not be able to move/lift it, because the back wheel has to roll back a little bit! :oops: (Also means bike has to be in Neutral...)

Looks like we've either covered everything for newbs, or everyone got bored with this thread.....

Cheers,

Kerbouchard

If you are going to change a wheel out when on the center stand make sure that you tie the center stand to the front frame or to the front wheel strut. If there is force that moves the bike foreword and it is unrestrained it will be setting on the mufflers if you had the wheel off already. You know why I already know this! :!:

Bummer!!! I always block the other two wheels but now I believe I will go the step further as you suggest.
'08 Patrol Hansel
and other stuff I don't drive much.
I used to be Overkill but theorists broke into my me-mail and things have gotten all iffy now.

Never been tired, never been hungry never been lied to.
Bugrit--millenium hand and shrimp

ecurrent
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby ecurrent » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Tied Tongue.jpg

"urra L" ... almost sounds French (Think bad French accent from movies in the 30's.
I spent about half an hour listening to a translator program before I could say "синий ведро".
синий ведро is pronounced "See Knee Vee Dro" (roll the r). It means 'dark blue bucket' (what I named my Ural, uh "urra L")
Two different Russian customers said I was saying it right. But then again, maybe they were just being polite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special Ed
Tucson, Arizona
2006 Ural Patrol
синий ведро = Dark Blue Bucket
Honor God in all things

Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Underhill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:30 pm

ecurrent wrote:
Tied Tongue.jpg

"urra L" ... almost sounds French (Think bad French accent from movies in the 30's.
I spent about half an hour listening to a translator program before I could say "синий ведро".
синий ведро is pronounced "See Knee Vee Dro" (roll the r). It means 'dark blue bucket' (what I named my Ural, uh "urra L")
Two different Russian customers said I was saying it right. But then again, maybe they were just being polite.

I've been told --Korean is tougher.
'08 Patrol Hansel
I used to be Overkill but theorists broke into my me-mail and things have gotten all iffy now.

flyinglion
Comrade
Comrade

Postby flyinglion » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Why is the sidecar called a "hack"

this newbie wants to know
RIDES present:
2009 Ducati Monster 696cc (new in '09)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R 996cc (For Sale for a sidecar rig)
RIDES past:
1999 Yamaha VMAX 1200cc (new in '99)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 750cc (new in '96)
1987 Honda CMX450cc (used in '88)
1984 Honda Elite 125cc (used in '86)

Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Underhill » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:15 pm

flyinglion wrote:Why is the sidecar called a "hack"

this newbie wants to know

I dunno--taxi cabs at various times have been called ''hacks'' also.
Any relationship, Gents?? :moto: :moto:
'08 Patrol Hansel

gflapg
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gflapg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:02 pm

You know thru the years I have heard many explanations. The best I ever heard was whenever the fist sidecar was attached to a motorcycle someone eventually asked "who hacked that together" . Probably not true but it sounds good.
May all beings be blessed by the three jewels
May the planet be at peace, and the earth stay beautiful
May all beings be happy
May all have good fortune

"When the mind is clear, one can sip tea; when the spirit is at ease, one can talk of aspiration."

2010 GU ( the year before that goofy Pecans and Cream Version)
2003 Raceway Custom Built Wolf
1993 Solo

Underhill
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Underhill » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:42 am

gflapg wrote:You know thru the years I have heard many explanations. The best I ever heard was whenever the fist sidecar was attached to a motorcycle someone eventually asked "who hacked that together" . Probably not true but it sounds good.

How urban myths are born. :moto: :moto:
'08 Patrol Hansel

tx2sturgis
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby tx2sturgis » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Bilgekeeldave wrote:
My wife is Russian/Ukrainian.

Dave

Wait.

I was not offered a Russian wife with mine!

Maybe I need to ask the dealer for the 'other' catalog.

:wink:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Bilgekeeldave » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 am

Ahh, but you got a Ural, Ukrainian wives only come with Dneprs.

Unfortunately, they've closed the Dnepr factory.

You snooze, you lose! :lol:

Dave
RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

Old School
Location: Chicagoland the unofficial capital of the People's Republik of Illinois

Postby Old School » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Wow, I've been a member on here for all of 20 minutes and already learned a lot of what I was yearning to know. You all have done a great job with the FAQ.

I have been eyeing the Urals for a couple of years now and just haven't quite done the deed yet - but I get closer all the time.

I currently have a Road King, a Shadow, a Yamaha XJ650, and a Piaggio BV500 scooter (That last one is a BLAST!) I'm considering moving away from the big heavy touring bike and like the idea of a sidecar rig vs. a trike.

My mental tug of war pertains to some of what was talked about in this thread:

1. Will I be satisfied with the Ural's ability to keep up with (ahead of) traffic on a routine basis - the vast majority of the riding I do is in the 45 to 60 mph range and that seems to be what it takes to stay out of trouble with traffic here.
2. Will I be happy with the trade off in power and moving to a rig vs. the RK? I still take the occasional trip. And nearly all my riding is solo.
3. Although I am a tinkerer and enjoy doing my own maintenance and most repairs, will the Ural be more than I bargained for? I like to ride more than I like to fix problems... And the thought of a true mid-trip-stranding breakdown does not appeal to me at all despite the adventure and character building it brings! :roll:
4. Is sidecar removal practical to give the added option of a two-wheeler? And how does the bike without the rig respond to a two-wheeled style of riding? Decent power, etc.
5. It sounds like a Retro one-wheel drive is what my needs would be geared for. No off-road and probably little to no winter riding.

I realize no one can make the decision for me but maybe some of you Comrades have already walked in my shoes. I welcome any comments or suggestions you care to make. Thank you in advance! :)

rivers

Postby rivers » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Old School wrote:1. Will I be satisfied with the Ural's ability to keep up with (ahead of) traffic on a routine basis - the vast majority of the riding I do is in the 45 to 60 mph range and that seems to be what it takes to stay out of trouble with traffic here.
2. Will I be happy with the trade off in power and moving to a rig vs. the RK? I still take the occasional trip. And nearly all my riding is solo.
3. Although I am a tinkerer and enjoy doing my own maintenance and most repairs, will the Ural be more than I bargained for? I like to ride more than I like to fix problems... And the thought of a true mid-trip-stranding breakdown does not appeal to me at all despite the adventure and character building it brings! :roll:
4. Is sidecar removal practical to give the added option of a two-wheeler? And how does the bike without the rig respond to a two-wheeled style of riding? Decent power, etc.
5. It sounds like a Retro one-wheel drive is what my needs would be geared for. No off-road and probably little to no winter riding.

I'm pretty new too but I'll take a shot by the numbers with my "opinion"
1. Probably. Helps if you filled out your profile so we know where "here" is. Where I'm at it's 2 lane blacktop mostly 40-55 speed limit. Mine sings along at 45-60mph. If traffic is faster I let'em go by. I'd rather have those 4000 lb mobile cell/text phones in front rather than behind me.
2.Probably. but your passing days of checking traffic, rolling on the throttle and blasting by cars are over. So if you need to be in front you'll want lots of clear road and lots of time. Biggest adjustment I had to make when traveling was daily miles covered. Bike is slower and ergos aren't yet right for me so my previous 2 wheeler 400+ mile days are gone.
3. Do the required servicing on schedule and you should be fine.
4. No. Doable but not practical to do it often.
5. Lotsa dirt roads to explore here so I like 2WD for occasional use but otherwise could have lived with a Retro or Tourist.
Different adventure than a RK but great fun.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

ecurrent
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby ecurrent » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Old School wrote:Wow, I've been a member on here for all of 20 minutes and already learned a lot of what I was yearning to know. You all have done a great job with the FAQ.

I have been eyeing the Urals for a couple of years now and just haven't quite done the deed yet - but I get closer all the time.

I currently have a Road King, a Shadow, a Yamaha XJ650, and a Piaggio BV500 scooter (That last one is a BLAST!) I'm considering moving away from the big heavy touring bike and like the idea of a sidecar rig vs. a trike.

My mental tug of war pertains to some of what was talked about in this thread:
'
1. Will I be satisfied with the Ural's ability to keep up with (ahead of) traffic on a routine basis - the vast majority of the riding I do is in the 45 to 60 mph range and that seems to be what it takes to stay out of trouble with traffic here.

I realize no one can make the decision for me but maybe some of you Comrades have already walked in my shoes. I welcome any comments or suggestions you care to make. Thank you in advance! :)

OK, I'll bite. Here's my 2 cents worth.
My last bike was a Road King. I've been riding almost 50 years now and the Ural is just plain fun. Even blowing a clutch was almost painless once I got into it.
1. You will probably find speed is a bit slower to achieve in stop and go traffic, but it's fine on longer stretches. The uniqueness of the bike makes you much more visible but a 200 db horn is a fun add on. :shock:
2. My RK was so balanced I could ride through town without touching the handlebars if I caught all the lights. Your Ural will not be so boring to ride. Both hands are required to pop wheelies. (see drilled slides). :rotfl: :lol:
3. I'd recommend a 2006 or newer. My 2006 patrol requires less maintenance than my RK did and the cost is MUCH less. :clap:
4. No. It can come off but a solo Ural is not a fun ride. :(
5. The Ural T is only $9999.00. I bought my 2006 Patrol used for $6,500 with only 3800 miles on it.
Remember, the Fonze rode a POS bike. "Cool" doesn't come with a pink slip.

Most people want to be unique "just like everyone else".
:foilhead: Foilheads ARE unique. Unstable maybe, but unique!
Special Ed
Tucson, Arizona
2006 Ural Patrol
синий ведро = Dark Blue Bucket
Honor God in all things

Old School
Location: Chicagoland the unofficial capital of the People's Republik of Illinois

Postby Old School » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 am

Thank you for the replies, guys :)

It's just a matter of time and coming across the right rig... :wink: I'm looking forward to seeing what changes might have been made for 2013.

Seems like dealers are pretty few and far between. Not many rigs to look at.

fishinjim

Postby fishinjim » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:12 pm

I have been reading the questions and comments on this forum for several days and have found it interesting.
I will be 70 when my birthday rolls around again and looking for something that can extend my riding days.
Trikes are just too darned expensive so looks like that leaves 1 option. I am going to the local Ural dealer with my wife and take a test ride.
If she likes it, it is a go. My health has not been good the past year, and I have lost so much strength I would have a difficult time holding my
Suzuki Savage up with the wife aboard should there be a strong crosswind and long red lights. That bike is not really suited to riding double
anyway. Thanks guy's, I now know what to look at. Have been riding off and on since 1959, and just do not want to give it up. :)
2003 Suzuki LS 650 thumper.

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”