Wow, I've been a member on here for all of 20 minutes and already learned a lot of what I was yearning to know. You all have done a great job with the FAQ.
I have been eyeing the Urals for a couple of years now and just haven't quite done the deed yet - but I get closer all the time.
I currently have a Road King, a Shadow, a Yamaha XJ650, and a Piaggio BV500 scooter (That last one is a BLAST!) I'm considering moving away from the big heavy touring bike and like the idea of a sidecar rig vs. a trike.
My mental tug of war pertains to some of what was talked about in this thread:
1. Will I be satisfied with the Ural's ability to keep up with (ahead of) traffic on a routine basis - the vast majority of the riding I do is in the 45 to 60 mph range and that seems to be what it takes to stay out of trouble with traffic here.
2. Will I be happy with the trade off in power and moving to a rig vs. the RK? I still take the occasional trip. And nearly all my riding is solo.
3. Although I am a tinkerer and enjoy doing my own maintenance and most repairs, will the Ural be more than I bargained for? I like to ride more than I like to fix problems... And the thought of a true mid-trip-stranding breakdown does not appeal to me at all despite the adventure and character building it brings!
4. Is sidecar removal practical to give the added option of a two-wheeler? And how does the bike without the rig respond to a two-wheeled style of riding? Decent power, etc.
5. It sounds like a Retro one-wheel drive is what my needs would be geared for. No off-road and probably little to no winter riding.
I realize no one can make the decision for me but maybe some of you Comrades have already walked in my shoes. I welcome any comments or suggestions you care to make. Thank you in advance!