Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
paw-paw

Re: Top Twenty frequently asked Questions with answers.

Postby paw-paw » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:04 pm

having just bought the '14 patrol and new to sidecar operations, I had a rack installed over the side car fender by my dealer. I put two bags of lead shot (50lb)in a surplus Army bag of sorts and strapped in on the fender. takes up no room sits low and I can vary the weight when I deem it necessary. been riding on the back roads here in central Missouri where the curves vary from 55mph to 10mph you get a lot of experience in body movement on the outfit. come spring i'll start removing the weights. better to learn with them then to get screwed without them. have taken my wife and dog on some rides, wife has gotten into the leaning bit already so getting closer to lose the extra weight. :D
1975 Suzuki GT 750 "water Buffalo"
1998 BMW R1200
2014 Ural Patrol

Ltrypsin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ltrypsin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Rather embarrassed to ask this one. I get how to check the oil on the FD but what about the
engine? The manual tells you for the FD to screw the stick all the way in to check but doesn't say what to do with the engine. So do you check with the dip stick screwed out or in...
2015 cT

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:24 am

Eng oil: just drop the dipstick in to check oil, don't screw it in.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Ltrypsin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ltrypsin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks...You would think they would both be the same.
2015 cT

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:52 am

I don't know what machine you have, but on mine, they changed the FD where the dipstick wasn't marked correctly. I think it was a 2012 / 2013 thing? With the vent spewing fluid until the FD is happy, I've found the right amount is at the lower mark on the dipstick when not screwed in. So at least for me, the not screwed in method works on both.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2013 GearUp (Taildragger)
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:11 am

I can't emphasize enough searching around this forum for information. SS is filled with Russian Rig knowledge and its wide open for you. Lots of questions get repeated and gladly answered but please take the time to search. The answers are usually right here already. Have fun!!!
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

robertshort249

Postby robertshort249 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:41 am

Hi have just bought a 1980 M67 and it needs a rewire can anybody suggest a supplier and also if I need both the central wire kit and full rewire kit to complete thanks Robert.

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby barnone » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:15 am

robertshort,
Might check with this guy to see if he had a wiring harness for your rig.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiring-harness- ... 3F&vxp=mtr

iural75 seems to be able to get just about any part for Russian MCs
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37826
http://stores.ebay.com/uralmotosteeds/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Central-par ... 1518601958

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:33 pm

siberman1 wrote:
Dnipropetrovsk was the firs Ukrainina city I could say, read on a map (Днепропетровск) and spell in Russian. So, Dnepr is a piece of cake.

Oh yeah? Try this one:

Dzilth-Na-O-Dith-Hle

Its a Navajo word, and town, meaning 'spinning mountain', and/or 'mountain people who move around'...

Just a little trivia...ok...back to your regularly scheduled topics...

:cheers:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

Griever
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Griever » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm new to having a Ural and need to learn something cool to say when people come to talk about the rig, any suggestions?
Is it more fun riding or fixing in the garage?

2016 Ural Sportman UK 1 wheel drive
2010 Yamaha xj6
2016 Sinnis Max II

Brian Crean

Postby Brian Crean » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Griever wrote:I'm new to having a Ural and need to learn something cool to say when people come to talk about the rig, any suggestions?

My favorite one is when they ask me how fast it goes, I tell 'em "half-fast".

phliparoonie

Postby phliparoonie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:05 pm

Griever wrote:I'm new to having a Ural and need to learn something cool to say when people come to talk about the rig, any suggestions?

Ask them if they remember hearing in 8th grade history class about the Molotov/Von Ribbentrop Treaty of 1936 (which gave the design of the German BMW military sidecar motorcycle to the Russians, which became our beloved URAL in 1939), and watch their eyes glaze over. Priceless.
It is important to keep an open mind. But not so much that your brain falls out. Carl Sagan
I am old, but I'm happy. Cat Stevens
It's a tractor, not a Ferrari. Holopaw Gene

2004 Tourist "Charlie" 21.3 kkm - 17/02/22
stock: pipes, carbs, airbox, fuel petcock, tractor seat
new/add: windscreen,hack headlight,4 head stud holes,pistons,rings,starter,FD splined hub,clutch actuator bearing, clutch arm,donut,drive shaft,Ducati ignition,tank xover disconnect

Swaimdoggy

Postby Swaimdoggy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks

DEF1976
Comrade
Comrade

Postby DEF1976 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:
siberman1 wrote:
Dnipropetrovsk was the firs Ukrainina city I could say, read on a map (Днепропетровск) and spell in Russian. So, Dnepr is a piece of cake.

Oh yeah? Try this one:

Dzilth-Na-O-Dith-Hle

Its a Navajo word, and town, meaning 'spinning mountain', and/or 'mountain people who move around'...

Just a little trivia...ok...back to your regularly scheduled topics...

Well the "Other" bike is called 长江/長江

see http://www.chang-jiang.com/bmw/welcome.html for more info 8)
2016 Terracotta Red Ural CT "The Brick"

"Dr StrangeUral or how I learned to stop Hurrying and love the ride"

DEF1976
Comrade
Comrade

Postby DEF1976 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm

MartyL wrote:I'm starting this thread in response to some demand on having a quick reference to some commonly asked questions. This is a work in progress and can be modified. Please contribute to this if you have good material... Here ya go....

1) Q: Does the sidecar come off and can you ride the bike solo?
A: It depends on the model. Two big factors, if the bike has a 2wd feature it's not practical to remove the sidecar. Another issue is the Earls link front end system. A bike with it will be difficult to ride solo as the rake of the front end is closer to the frame.Qoute from BildgekeelDave;"Regarding removing the sidecar, the tire treads will wear square when the rig is in sidecar mode. Take the sidecar off without also putting round cross section tires on it and the handling will suffer when you lean it over in the corners." A rig with 1wd and telescoping front end such as a Ural Retro,Deco, Troyka, or the new M-70 will be more suitable for sidecar removal.

2) Q: Should I get 1wd or 2wd?
A) it depends on your type of riding. Street riding and most light off road conditions will be fine with 1wd. For rough off roading and heavy snow/muddy conditions 2wd is a must. Think of it in terms of a truck with a 4wd option. It's nice to have it when you need it.

3) Q: What type of tires should I buy?
A: Also depends on your riding situations. Stock Duro HF 308's and Russian Uralshina's are fine for most on road and light off road applications. For a more rough off road and better lasting tire there is the Duro HF 307 and the Heidenau K 37's Duros are in the 90.00 range and Heidenaus are in the 150.00 range. For strickly street riding the are many choices such as Avons. The main thing to remember is the tire has to have a hard sidewall with a 650 lbs. or better rating.

4)Q: Will towing a trailer void my warranty?
A: Technically yes. That is what is the written word from IMZ.
Well I have a Irbit IMZ supplied TowBar on mine, I wonder what they expect me to do with it?
Gobium uses trailers in the US and I think he would know what the deal is there.
Here in Europe it;s a Freaking nightmare as every country had different ruls, for example in Germany the rule is 60 KPH maximum speed (that's 37 MPH) and this is enforced on Autobahns. Remember that there is no speed limit for cars so a 240 KPH Mercedes is coming up behind you on a dark rainy night and you are restricted to 60.. guess what. :o

5) Q: Can my warranty be transferred?
A: Yes.

6) Q: what is the average depreciation on a Used Ural?
A: Generally 1000.00 per year on a well maintained Rig.

7) Q: what should I look for in a Used Rig?
A) First no title, no deal. Then remember that Russian motorcycles like to be ridden. A frequently ridden bike with routine maintenance are in most cases better than a rig that just sat around. Maintainence records are a good indicator of how a rig was or wasn't kept up.

8) Q: What year rig should I look at on a used one?
A: As far as Urals, anything 2005 or newer are preferred. Big improvements with 2007 and up such as Hertzog timing gears and Hertzog gears in the transmission. Basically every year has pluses and minuses. Also an older well maintained rig will be fine as well.

9) Q: Can I get any color I want on a new rig?
A: Basically yes. The factory will paint any color they have in stock for you at a additional fee. Some dealers will get you any color you want also at an additional fee.

10) Q: Can I use a Ural for constant highway speeds over 70 MPH?
A: Modern Urals have come along way. They are capable of 65 to 70 MPH. But... At those speeds they are at most of their power band and it is not recommended to run them that high for long periods. The final drive will suffer driven that hard. The sweet speed on a modern Ural is 45 to 65 MPH.

11) Q: Where do I find accessories for my Ural?
A: There are a few places. Raceway services, any Ural Dealer, old timers garage, are just some. Custom seats n such, Rich Maund is a good source who is on this forum.

12) Q: Where is there a good, "How to" place for doing routine maintenance?
A: For Urals there's is Billy G's website, "Myural.com." Billy's site is very informative. His demonstrations of procedures are based on his 2002 Patrol. This site is very good for info in the. "Hammerin and wrenchin" section, as well as, "RussianIron.com" are helpful. You can order maintenance CD's from any dealer which is helpful. Most dealers will give you maintenance answers. But you'll find most stuff by searching on the forums.

13) Q: How fast can I go in Reverse?
A: Fast enough where it can be very dangerous and unstable! General rule of thumb: Walking speed only for safe operation in reverse!

14) Q: what kind of fuel economy can I expect?
A: On the average, well maintained rig will get 30 MPG.

15) Q: Can I run regular grade fuel?
A: The factory recommends high test. There are some who ride on regular. Some mid grade .

16) Q: Should I practice riding with ballast in the sidecar when first getting used to riding a rig?
A: Some say yes, some say no. Personally, I started with two cases of bottled water in the sidecar and then in a couple of days I removed them and got used to an empty sidecar. It is a very good idea to read and practice the material in the "Yellowbook: How to drive a sidecar outfit", a copy can be obtained by searching on this forum. Also if you can get professional training it is well worth it. There are classes available in certain parts of the U.S.

17) Q: I want to have my rig trailered. What size trailer do I need?
A: Basically a trailer that is 6ft. X 10 ft is fine. Owners have made modified trailers. Another search topic.

18) Q: What is,"UDF"?
A): Ural delay factor. A common condition of Russian motorcycle ownership. These rigs are a magnet for attracting curious people. Get used to it. If your shy don't buy a Russian rig.

19):Q: Can I take my dog or small children in my sidecar?
Same rules apply. Your pet and / or a small child has to be able to stay seated and understand commands from the driver. I believe that with kids helmets are a must. With pets and children, they should obey directions from the driver.

20) Q: what is a," Foilhead?
A: Foilhead is a Russian rig owner who wears an aluminum foil hat of some kind to protect oneself from the dangerous mind altering Rays from the government who constantly watches us. :D
2016 Terracotta Red Ural CT "The Brick"

"Dr StrangeUral or how I learned to stop Hurrying and love the ride"

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”