New Owner questions - Cleaning, securing, oils

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: New Owner questions - Cleaning, securing, oils

Postby dneprlover » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 am

Best to put questions in the 'hammering and wrenching' section.
Last edited by dneprlover on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

GreyJackal

Postby GreyJackal » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:08 pm

I have a K65 carb, picture attached
snip_20180119190300.png

Also on the picture attached 2 unrelated questions from that picture:
- in red, is it supposed for that piece to be unscrewed like it is? I was trying to find in the manual what that does, what does screwing/unscrewing that piece do?
- in blue, that nut is loose, I'm guessing that it shouldn't

The picture is from the carb that leaks, just today it dripped a lot, after a while it stopped, I would guess it's an issue with the float/needle? I saw some people saying to blow some compressed air in to the fuel intake to try and clear any junk from the system, I think I'll try that as my first approach
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby rivers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 pm

GreyJackal wrote:The picture is from the carb that leaks, just today it dripped a lot, after a while it stopped, I would guess it's an issue with the float/needle? I saw some people saying to blow some compressed air in to the fuel intake to try and clear any junk from the system, I think I'll try that as my first approach

If theres crud in there and you blast the fuel intake with compressed air, where do expect/hope the crud will go/end up? Careful with comp air, you could make things worse. You carb, your call but what about taking off the float bowl and float system and inspecting and cleaning?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

GreyJackal

Postby GreyJackal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:48 am

Very good advise guys, you're absolutely right regarding the air, so instead I disassembled and cleaned off the carb and I'm glad that I did, look at how much trash was inside the poor thing:
20180120_171746.jpg

The container was clean so all that junk was inside the carb...

I also jacked up the bike to check the front bearing, I've tighten the bearings a bit, but they still have some play, I'm not sure if that's normal. If I insert the front axis on the wheel and wiggle it, should it have a small wiggle to it or should it not move at all?
With the bike's front wheel up I managed to free spin it and oh boy, she's not straight at all, there's a clear left right wobble.

Thanks everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 am

Wheel maintenance is covered on page 40 of the MT16 owners manual downloaded from the site I provided a link to on page 1. The MT16 is the same bike as yours apart from the 2wd system. Engine , gearbox, carbs, controls, frame, wheels and electrics are all covered in that handbook. Only thing to be wary of is your bike takes 100cc of oil in the rear drive, not 200cc as in the 2wd unit.
Without having a feel of your wiggle, diagnosis is difficult. Read the book and come back if you don't understand it.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

GreyJackal

Postby GreyJackal » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:12 am

I think I might have a missing screw, can someone take a look at this photo and help me out?

snip_20180215150939.png

I'm guessing there should be a bolt there, do I need to take off front cover to get a bolt inside (same arrangement as bolt next to it?). Wind comes out of that hole when engine is cranked, is that good? My guess is not so much :foilhead:

Return to “Ural/Dnepr 101 - Newbie Questions”