Shock options

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Shock options

Postby flcruiser2302 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:06 am

Even in a new rig, I find the need to smooth the ride out a bit for the passenger. We are not off roaders, but may hit a dirt road every now and then. I see where I can buy brand new Ural shocks for $38 off amazon, but obviously don't want what I have already. I have read here about very few options, but one is hagon. At $300 each, sorry, but I just cannot see the bang being worth the buck there. I am talking about a basic upgrade here, not wanting to absorb the shock for a lunar lander. Seriously, you can buy darn good shocks for your car for $50 per, but go get one for a motorcycle and these folks start wanting you to pay $800 for one! There has got to be a middle ground here, or either a way to adapt an affordable shock to the Urals odd mounting. I wish I had a torch, welder, and the skills to use them! Anyone else out there replacing shocks with something besides "NASA" stuff that's more affordable than hagon and offer a better ride than what's on there already? Thanks.
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT
2-1 exhaust with cats removed, K&N drop in filter installed along with Dobeck EJK set at stock settings.

Msblu79
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Shock options

Postby Msblu79 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:00 am

Not many options out there, I run the Hagons and they are worth every cent. Hagon charged $550 for a set of 5 shocks, not out of line for good shocks. :)
Last edited by Msblu79 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Black Patrol

rougaroo

Postby rougaroo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 am

Jeez - you have Sachs shocks, not even the old Ural oil-filled rebuildable ones! Most of the owners of older Urals are looking to trade *up* to Sachs.

You can defray some of the cost for new shocks by listing your Sachs in the grey market. I'll bet they are snapped up in less than an hour.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:08 am

I have noticed the car swingarm, albeit with 1 off shock (i.e. single unit), is sat on its rebound bump stop, even with appreciable weight on it. Whereas the bike's shox meanwhile (double units at each end) are slightly compressed. And I'm not sitting on it yet either!
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 am

As my rig gets older I'm doing maybe one upgrade a year. The plan this Winter is to get a set of Hagon's. They are not expensive for what you get and if you contact Dave Quinn, (eastern rep for Hagon and other shocks) and tell him you are Ural owner he will usually cut you a deal on 5 (usually they are sold in pairs). You read from the earlier post that you can get a complete set for about $110.00 each so I'm not sure where you are getting your prices from? I have the original Russian stock shocks that have held up well for the past 10 years. They are just getting a bit tired now.
Question comes to mind as mentioned in an earlier post... why would you want to change the Sachs shocks you already have on the bike. They are probably the same quality if not better than the Hagons. Unless your shocks are not dialed in correctly or something is defective with them this is about the best you can get, at least for a Ural. I've found over the years on other bikes (especially BMW's) my need to replace shocks taken off my "to do list" just after replacing tires and/or keeping up with a tire pressure that may not be in the manual but makes the ride more comfortable for me.
There is a shock and suspension shop in CA. called Wilburs. They deal mostly with BMW but other European marquees as well. They are Ohlin's experts But I have to say that is not necessarily the brand that they recommend which was a pretty honest surprise to me when I was considering some Ohlins for an rt that owned a few years ago. Might be worth a call to them as see if they could lend some sidecar advice.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Postby flcruiser2302 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:27 am

rougaroo wrote:Jeez - you have Sachs shocks, not even the old Ural oil-filled rebuildable ones! Most of the owners of older Urals are looking to trade *up* to Sachs.

You can defray some of the cost for new shocks by listing your Sachs in the grey market. I'll bet they are snapped up in less than an hour.

Rougaroo

If you say that I have Sachs shocks and that other Ural owners want to trade up to what I have, wow. Either I have no clue as to what to expect from what a shock does, or am extremely spoiled and want a ride as smooth as butter from a bike that rides on struts instead of shocks. I guess I expect not to get airborne when I hit a small bump when I have 5 shock absorbers under me and my passenger.
What are these?
https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Absorber-f ... +absorbers

I see that a response was made as to a price of $550 for a set of 5 Hagons. I have emailed them(2x) after looking at their site, but have not gotten a response. Just browsing the site does not give any sort of indication of pricing other than $250-500 per shock. Unless I am web challenged, which I may be, I saw nothing on the Dave Quinn site that even mentioned Ural shocks. I guess I just gotta break down and call, but if I am selling something, I want people to be able to find, and price, what I am selling, what its for, etc, on my web site.

Anyway, I guess I just better shut up and deal with my shocks that I have and hide it so as not to get them stolen as they are quite sought after.. :sarcasm:
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT
2-1 exhaust with cats removed, K&N drop in filter installed along with Dobeck EJK set at stock settings.

rivers

Postby rivers » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 am

I like the Sachs. Not great but plenty adequate for a Ural utility rig. My next ones will likely be Hagons though. I don't haul a lot of passengers so no complaints yet. I think my few passengers realize it's a Russian utility rig not a touring full dress HD Geezerglide. Mc shocks are a pretty limited market especially Urals and after R&D, tool-up costs, gets expensive. Are you having handling/stability issues or just not comfy enough for the wife? Prolly be cheaper to have a custom seat cushion made for the tub. Have you tried messing with the preload settings on the Sachs?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:56 am

I agree the ride is quite hard. But I think this is an aid to general handling and steering. I once tried experimenting with softer tire pressures, big mistake. They went back to previous ASAP. The rig wallowed badly and the steering was all over the place.

However I'm currently trying the sidecar tire a couple of lbs softer, to see what that does. But the pusher (at least) must be right up to max., 38 - 40.

This only confirms what I was told hitherto, that the bike rear suspension must be hard, and the tire hard.

Am not getting airbourne as far as I am aware. But may only mean the roads I (have) use(d) aren't rough enough. (?)

Good question!
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Talk to gobium about his snowman helpers before spending on new shocks
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:25 pm

This week a special shock for the sidecar should come out of customs: The 2 damping rates and primary spring preload are still made by wrenches + hand wheels.
But the rider can adjust the spring preload remotely while riding!
It has a hydraulic unit 1,5m far away to stiffen the spring by a turning a knob.
Last edited by Peter Pan on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 39.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Shocks? Well, that depends, how much do you want to spend? Considering you will need at least 4.....maybe 5
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Postby flcruiser2302 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:00 pm

dneprlover wrote:Talk to gobium about his snowman helpers before spending on new shocks

Got them installed. I guess for the most part, we/I/wife, are pretty pathetically spoiled creatures who have waited to their ripe young age of 60 "ish" to get a first motorcycle, an Indian Chief Classic, 2016. The wife has balance issues due to a brain tumor back in 2004, so she wanted a side car bike and bought this for me to ride her around in. I LOVE it, she loves it more than riding on the back of the Chief, even though the ride of the Chief was WAY more comfy. I will get Gene to help me with pre sets on the shocks to see if we can get her a bit more secure and get rid of the feeling that I am trying to egress her at each bump I hit, and I swear I do not swerve to hit them like she says I do! :lol:
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT

mexican
Comrade
Comrade

Postby mexican » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Central Texas Hill Country
2011 Gear_Up
2007 Vmax

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Postby flcruiser2302 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:20 pm

mexican wrote:http://www.bombarsbeemers.com/Pages/URALAccessories.aspx

Gulp, $1500 for a set. Thanks but no thanks. I will just dust myself off and climb back on before paying that much for a shock. Like I said earlier, not trying to soften the landing for the lunar module!
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT

mexican
Comrade
Comrade

Postby mexican » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 pm

[quote][/quote]
Agree , that is pricey
Central Texas Hill Country
2011 Gear_Up
2007 Vmax

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”