PIAA LED DRIVING LIGHTS

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
URALNUT60
Party Member
Party Member

PIAA LED DRIVING LIGHTS

Postby URALNUT60 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:31 pm

I have a 1997 ural sportsman and was thinking of adding piaa led 2.75 inch driving lights, anybody have a older ural with the russian 35 watt altenator who added such lighting and would there be any issues with this?

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: PIAA LED DRIVING LIGHTS

Postby rivers » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Couple thoughts..."just mine". I'm not impressed with anyones LED lamps. Don't know if it's a manufacturing cost issue or LED tech just isn't there yet. Great when you look at them, dayum those are bright. But they don't throw much light to light up the road. Great for being conspicuous to other traffic but terrible for illumination. Also electrically a 35A alternator is pretty decent max output for running 'within reason' aux equipment. On the other hand the entire elec system, wiring harness, switch gear etc on a 97Ural is poor quality when new and barely adequate to handle the stock elec loads. Point being whatever driving lamps you go with I would wire them up to their own dedicated stand-alone circuit and not run them through the stock harness and switch gear. Again, just "my" thoughts and for my needs LED tech...bah humbug.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

URALNUT60
Party Member
Party Member

Postby URALNUT60 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:16 pm

True that led.s draw less power? What type of driving light would you prefer? Thank you for your imput!

rivers

Postby rivers » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Yes LEDS draw less power but IMHO throw less less light down the road. For useful driving lights I prefer H4 lamps. I like Hella and Cibie brands but there are other brands that work pretty good. A 55w/12v lamp is only pulling 4.5 amps. You'll have to do the match on what watts/amps your existing stuff already draws. A 35A alt is pretty decent output for any motorcycle. On a side note: relays are your friend.:)
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

coyote
Party Member
Party Member

Postby coyote » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:53 pm

LEDs do draw less power for the same light output as an incandescent. I disagree with rivers on the LED tech not being there yet, but agree there is a manufacturing issue. I have a hand held flashlight that puts out around 3500 lumens from a single LED and will light up everything out to around 350 yds in the direction I point it. My point is the tech is there, but the problem has to do with the design and reflector of the light in properly utilizing and focusing the light in the manner you want whether for throw or flood or a compromise between the two. I shake my head at the LED light bars that go all the way across peoples roofs on their trucks. These are stuffed with cheap LEDs with very shallow reflectors, which make them very bright for about 50 feet. I haven't tested the LED driving lights I just put on my rig cause of all the rain we have been getting, but hope to do so tomorrow. LEDs are definitely a good choice though if you want brightness with low draw on your system, you just have to find some that do what you want.
2014 "Sage Green" Gear Up
1989 Honda Hawk
2004 Yamaha R1

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:09 am

URALNUT60 wrote:I have a 1997 ural sportsman and was thinking of adding piaa led 2.75 inch driving lights, anybody have a older ural with the russian 35 watt altenator who added such lighting and would there be any issues with this?

If you have a 35 amp alternator then it has been upgraded at some point. The alternator in 1997 was a 14 amp unit. They went to the 35 amp one for 1998.5 when they went to the true electric start. If it is a 35 amp unit then you may want to upgrade to the new Denso alternator. The 35 amp alternators have been known to have issues that can result in engine damage.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 am

Very odd...I posted twice on this topic last night, and the posts are gone....
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

Speedbump

Postby Speedbump » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:58 am

GillaFunk I think I found them,
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47899
Glen³
2015 Retro.

If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Previous rides:
1977 GS550
1979 XS750

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”