Who installed one of those 825cc kits?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Who installed one of those 825cc kits?

Postby cateyetech » Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 am

mr. cob wrote:Howdy Charlie,

I rode the rig for a couple of miles, shut it off and worked the throttle at least 30 times, still no fuel is pumping into the throat of the carbs. Starts and idles perfectly, accelerates and pulls HARD, but there is a flat spot when you first whack it as the pumps aren't pumping, got any ideas?

Dave

Hey Dave
The only thing I can think of is drop the bowls :x
as almost all the pump circuit is in the bowl except the spray nozzle
I don't think this pump circuit even has a check ball, I think the feed hole is smaller than the nozzle and it pushes out both holes as the plunger is pushed down.
Try pushing the plunger rod (rod under the plastic cam) by hand full stroke a few times
if still no go then drop the bowls and work by hand BUT WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES!!!! :!: :lol:
It's just weird that both carbs are not pumping :?
It's like their air locked?

Call if you don't get it fixed

Screenshot (18).png

and I would also recommend raising the slide needle up (clip down) 2 groves :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 Gear-Up

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 am

Just another thought ( I know it's scary)
Use a air hose and blow into one of the vent lines
it will pressurize the bowl and blow fuel from all orifices :)
2003 Gear-Up

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Thu May 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Bigger piston
Dual Plug
Pumper Carb

Watch it Cob, yer bike is getting RIDICULOUSLY modern, for a Ural.
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Thu May 11, 2017 5:18 pm

GillaFunk wrote:Bigger piston
Dual Plug
Pumper Carb

Watch it Cob, yer bike is getting RIDICULOUSLY modern, for a Ural.

Howdy GillaFunk,

Yeah, I know, but until it blows up it sure runs well. :D

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Sat May 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Howdy All,

Well I got the accelerator pump problem figured out, wasn't anything wrong I just wasn't looking in the right place to see the squirt. So todays project was to mount the new air box. I bought a new fueli style air box and the branch tubes that run from it to the fuel injectors on the new rigs. Two problems, one the branch tubes are to short, two the snorkel on the fueli air box is to restrictive to work with the TM33 carbs, no big deal it just pops off. I replaced the Allen head screws that hold the top of the new air box on with thumb screws, MUCH easier to change the filer, no tools needed.

This shows the new air box and how the branch tubes are to short, this was on both sides.

This shows the fix, cut the branch tubes and extend them with a piece of 1 and 3/4 inch ID exhaust pipe, did this to both sides.

The TM33 carbs come with a two way throttle pull mount, in the first photo you can see the extra cable mount in front of the throttle cable, this is not needed. The second photos shows the extra cut off, not really needed just makes a for a neater setup that easier to work on.

So now I am starting to work on getting the carbs jetted properly, these carbs are a bugger to work with when it comes to changing the needle clip position and changing jets, to change the needle clip you have to do a lot of disassembly-reassembly of the throttle shaft and slide assembly, when changing jets you can't see half of the screws that hold the float bowl on when laying under the rig and getting the accelerator pump piston to stay in place while your fighting screws is lots of fun. Oh well, if it were easy everyone would be doing it. Stay tuned and I'll keep you informed on how it runs, right now its running great now I need to get my Ural riding neighbor to bring his rig around so I can see how it goes against a very good running stock rig. So far on my test route its performing better with these carbs then it was with the stock ones, so I am a happy camper.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

mattzahr

Postby mattzahr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:15 am

Any updates????
'98 Italia - Black
'16 cT - Terracotta
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:11 pm

mattzahr wrote:Any updates????

Howdy mattzahr,

I now have over 1,200 miles on the engine, just finished riding the Black Dog, dual sport rally, EASILY out run the other Ural's there, this thing pulls hills like no other Ural I have ever ridden to include the 870cc experimental engine I had a few years back when IMWA gave up trying to make it run properly.

Dave
Mr. Cob

mattzahr

Postby mattzahr » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Dave - thank you for the update - great to know that you are having success with this set up - looking forward to future successful responses/updates!

Kindest regards,

Matt
'98 Italia - Black
'16 cT - Terracotta
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:54 pm

I still say it has a lot to do with that dual spark.

Great work so far,
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:00 pm

GillaFunk wrote:I still say it has a lot to do with that dual spark.

Howdy GillaFunk,

I HIGHLY recommend the dual spark plugs on any Ural engine has high dome, high compression pistons installed in it such as those that come with the 825cc kit. I am setup to machine the Ural heads for dual plugs at a very reasonable price, ship me a pair of CLEAN heads I'll do the machine work and ship them anywhere in the lower 48 for $179.99 that includes return shipping.

Dave
Mr. Cob

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:56 pm

mr. cob wrote:

Howdy GillaFunk,

I HIGHLY recommend the dual spark plugs on any Ural engine has high dome, high compression pistons installed in it such as those that come with the 825cc kit. I am setup to machine the Ural heads for dual plugs at a very reasonable price, ship me a pair of CLEAN heads I'll do the machine work and ship them anywhere in the lower 48 for $179.99 that includes return shipping.

Dave

Dont worry. As soon as my VA claim for service connected disability is finalized, Im buying another Ural. Then head straight to your place for a whole slew of Cob mod's and upgrades as we discussed a while back. I sure wish it was possible to do these engine mods on an EFI version. :cry:
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:07 pm

GillaFunk wrote:
mr. cob wrote:

Howdy GillaFunk,

Dave

Dont worry. As soon as my VA claim for service connected disability is finalized, Im buying another Ural. Then head straight to your place for a whole slew of Cob mod's and upgrades as we discussed a while back. I sure wish it was possible to do these engine mods on an EFI version. :cry:

Howdy GillaFunk,

First off good luck with your fight against the va, I fought those bastards from 1987 till 1996 but it was worth the effort in the end.

I would think but I don't know for sure that a person should be able to install this kit on Fueli engine its getting the new ignition and fuel injection to work with it that would be the problem. The ignition and single plugs would work OK, both Van and Ron have has success with single plugs, I forget who makes it but someone is now selling a programer-thingie that allows changing the fueling so perhaps that would tweak the injectors to feed the larger displacement until someone gives it a try we won't know. I am just a very Happy Camper with the way the "Predator" is running, still some fine tuning to do but it runs great as is.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Burt1713 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:54 pm

mr. cob wrote:
GillaFunk wrote:
mr. cob wrote:

Howdy GillaFunk,

Dave

Howdy GillaFunk,

First off good luck with your fight against the va, I fought those bastards from 1987 till 1996 but it was worth the effort in the end.

I would think but I don't know for sure that a person should be able to install this kit on Fueli engine its getting the new ignition and fuel injection to work with it that would be the problem. The ignition and single plugs would work OK, both Van and Ron have has success with single plugs, I forget who makes it but someone is now selling a programer-thingie that allows changing the fueling so perhaps that would tweak the injectors to feed the larger displacement until someone gives it a try we won't know. I am just a very Happy Camper with the way the "Predator" is running, still some fine tuning to do but it runs great as is.

Dave

I believe it is Dobeck that makes an EJK tuner. Since the EFI Urals have two separate coils, I wonder if you could use two dual output coils and run dual plugs on an EFI rig.

Dan
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

MojaveSidecar
Party Member
Party Member

Postby MojaveSidecar » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi Dave

I just discovered this thread and read it all the way through. I am very impressed with your ability to take this project all the way through from inception to execution.

More over I am just as impressed with the collaboration of Van, Ron, and Paul et al to come together to support this effort.. the folks on Soviet Steeds are truly remarkable.

Now that you have some stick time on the Predator, what would you recommend for someone that has... say an 11 Gobi Gear Up that wants to do extensive on road touring across the US that is looking for a little more highway power, not more top speed, you know to climb the 'hills' around Wrightwood.

For example, would your dual plug heads with maybe an 825cc kit plus stock carbs, exhaust and cams be reasonable?

Also, about crankshafts? did you replace the Predators crank with a D10 or something else?

Do you feel the 825cc dual head project is far enough along that you or Van might be willing to start a fresh thread in Order of the Greasy wrench about the latest and greatest way to build one of these engines?

TIA
Randy from Wrightwood
Randy
11 GearUp Gobi
06 GearUp Forest
00 DRZ441 - E plated, Nova Wide Ratio Gear Set, Moto-Mule Trailer
01 KLR/DMC Enduro Sidecar

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:30 pm

MojaveSidecar wrote:Hi Dave

I just discovered this thread and read it all the way through. I am very impressed with your ability to take this project all the way through from inception to execution.

More over I am just as impressed with the collaboration of Van, Ron, and Paul et al to come together to support this effort.. the folks on Soviet Steeds are truly remarkable.

Now that you have some stick time on the Predator, what would you recommend for someone that has... say an 11 Gobi Gear Up that wants to do extensive on road touring across the US that is looking for a little more highway power, not more top speed, you know to climb the 'hills' around Wrightwood.

For example, would your dual plug heads with maybe an 825cc kit plus stock carbs, exhaust and cams be reasonable?

Also, about crankshafts? did you replace the Predators crank with a D10 or something else?

Do you feel the 825cc dual head project is far enough along that you or Van might be willing to start a fresh thread in Order of the Greasy wrench about the latest and greatest way to build one of these engines?

TIA
Randy from Wrightwood

Randy
Ural is unpredictable, with that said I don't promote the 825cc kit!
If your ural is ruining fine
But if you have a spare engine and you want to play, go for it
Btw I just install another kit on one of my recent rebuilt

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”