H4 vs. H4-LED comparison

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
rebelrider
Comrade General
Comrade General

H4 vs. H4-LED comparison

Postby rebelrider » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:54 am

Hey folks,
I though I'd share this. A while back, I replaced my M70 stock sealed beam lamp with an H4 kit. Its pretty crowded inside the cone, but I made it work by leaving out the big rubber seal. http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38476&hilit=headlight
That was about a year ago, and Its been working great.

I'm an LED nut though, and have been wanting to try one out. I recently got my old Cyclops flashlight working, which just happens to take an H4 bulb, so I thought I'd start with that. The LED I decided to start with is made by Cyron http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00REQVA34?psc=1

Comparing Power:
At 12v, the regular H4 uses 4.5A (55W), or 5A (60W) High beam.
At 12v, the LED uses 1.2A (15W), or 1.8A (22W) High beam.
High beam info doesn't seem available, but the light uses 2 LED chips for low beam, and lights up a third for high beam. I assumed that each chip uses the same amount of power.

Installation:
The lamp came with 4 adapters to fit multiple types of light bulb. I picked the one that matched the H4 shape, and it all went together fairly well.
It has a heat sink and fan on the back, which takes up more room than the standard bulb, but the plug is on a cable, instead of attached at the back, so that helps.

Comparing Light:
Looking at the light patterns, keep in mind this is a basic flashlight reflector, not a fancy headlight diffuser. So actual results on the bike may vary.
What I noticed was that the LED on dim was significantly brighter than the H4 on dim.
The LED on bright though, was not much brighter than the LED on dim.
Both bulbs on dim showed a bright half-circle in the periphery below the central bright spot.
The LED had a higher than center bright spot than the H4 on dim.
The H4 on bright seems to me, about the same brightness as the LED on bright. Though, the LED is whiter, and has a larger central bright spot.
Both peripheral areas were large and fully circular on bright.

I've heard from several sources that LED Headlights are disappointing as far as the bright setting, and that the headlight angle may need to be moved down to compensate for the different beam pattern. I'd agree the light will probably have to be adjusted down when I get this on my bike. As for the disappointing bright setting, I'd say the issue lies with comparing the LED dim to the LED bright. The LED dim is much brighter than the H4 dim, but the two bulbs on bright seem about the same to me. Except for color.

At some point I'll strap this on my sidecar and do a comparison between it and the actual bike headlight.
Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"

jae
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: H4 vs. H4-LED comparison

Postby jae » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:53 am

the beam pattern (cut-off) on the LED low-beam seems inverted from what I'd expect (upside-down).
'14 Patrol purchased 1/9/16, OR 1.02 map, 497km on first engine. New engine, throttle bodies, throttle cable, rear brake pads/rotor, final drive and 2wd shaft u-joints as of 8/20/16. Mods

'06 Triumph Sprint (naked), '07 Hyosung GV650, '05 Hyosung GT650, '92 Honda Z50 (125cc now), '87 Yamaha Venture (naked, hacked rat), '04 Yamaha PW50 for the boy, '06 Suzi GSX-R 600 project

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:50 pm

I wired my LED so both dim & bright are on all the time (+ blue Pilot). Aiming my Diamond Cut/Projector LED headlight, & LED spots for maximum efficiency. Although Headlight is not as bright as some of the flame throwers I have had over the years, It is more than adequate for Ural speeds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Nice writeup RebelRider, thanks.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”