6 volt to 12 volt conversion

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
chang jiang bill
Party Member
Party Member

6 volt to 12 volt conversion

Postby chang jiang bill » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Has anybody posted a write up for converting a 6 volt, positive ground bike (I.e. Ural m66) to a later 12 volt, negative ground system? I'm redoing my m66 and I don't like the way some PO made a mess of the existing wiring. I'm thinking of buying a new harness and ignition switch and do a proper conversion.
Bill F.

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt conversion

Postby dneprlover » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:52 pm

I thought only the early M72 models were positive ground?
Last edited by dneprlover on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt conversion

Postby siberman1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:50 pm

This was a common thing to do for 6v VWs. All you had to do was change the generator+regulator (which I guess you call dynamo?) to a 12v generator, make certain all your bulbs everywhere (headlight, turn sigs, dash lights, etc) were changed to 12v and you were good to go. The switches did not know any difference with 6v or 12v, so no need to change them. If you were lazy or smart or cheap (take your pick), you just left the starter alone. It spun faster, but you only needed to give it a very quick shot and it started the VW 1600 engine easily. I did that with my VW and the starter was still good after 30 years that I owned my VW. If you only have "kick-start", then that is not an issue.

Reversing to a negative ground is pretty easy, it takes some little bits of copper here and there - just cannibalize some from old trailer lights or turn signals and make your own pieces. I had to do this to put LED bulbs in my turn signals. It was tedious, but doable. If you are doing all the wire over again, I imagine it may even be easier.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”