IMHO....one can't have too many lights

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: IMHO....one can't have too many lights

Postby 54vintage » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:39 pm

ichbinbier wrote:
54vintage wrote:You got that right!! And a GoPro too!! Any video shot from it's location that you could post.....interesting perspective.

Yes I do. I'm not happy with that placement as I miss a lot of the side scenery.
I can see above a barrier wall but the Gopro in that position can't. I going to move it higher, about head height, and see how that looks.

And as not to hijack your thread I've posted the video here http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42872

I see your point.....you do miss a lot of stuff. I ride with mine on my helmet (right on the crown).....you do catch a bit of the helmet in the shot, but you get a nice wide view and you have the ability to pan around with it in that location.
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Burt1713
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Burt1713 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:03 pm

I agree, you guys need to add lots and lots of Hella lights to your bikes. Hella lights are far superior to other brands of lights. The fact that I work for Hella does influence my opinion though. :boogie: :lol: :boogie:
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Burt1713 wrote:I agree, you guys need to add lots and lots of Hella lights to your bikes. Hella lights are far superior to other brands of lights. The fact that I work for Hella does influence my opinion though. :boogie: :lol: :boogie:

Not much I'm sure :wink:

Keep up the good work!

:cheers:
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

ichbinbier
Party Member
Party Member

Postby ichbinbier » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:40 am

54vintage wrote:
I see your point.....you do miss a lot of stuff. I ride with mine on my helmet (right on the crown).....you do catch a bit of the helmet in the shot, but you get a nice wide view and you have the ability to pan around with it in that location.

I never liked the helmet view. Yes you do have the ability to pan around but then you also miss stuff (if you're looking the wrong way) or you see things you don't want, speedometer, adjusting clothing or views of the bike. And nobody pans their head slowly so it's always a roller coaster ride back and forth. Also I can jump off and check the housing for bug splatter quickly at a light but if it's on my helmet then I have to remove my helmet. Of course it's all personal choice and there is no wrong position.

What I really need is this

or this

2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Man! look at all those options.....I always thought a pre programed drone following you around as you rode would be the cats meow :wink:
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

ichbinbier
Party Member
Party Member

Postby ichbinbier » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:13 pm

54vintage wrote:Man! look at all those options.....I always thought a pre programed drone following you around as you rode would be the cats meow :wink:

Funny you should mention that.

I do own a DJI Inspire. Nice machine and takes great video. The case fits in the luggage rack perfectly but it is too big to take camping or long travels.

So I bought a Lily. I haven't received it yet but it is small enough to carry, waterproof and cheap enough that I won't be really pi$$ed off if I crash it, as compared to the Inspire.

2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:56 pm

ichbinbier wrote:
54vintage wrote:Man! look at all those options.....I always thought a pre programed drone following you around as you rode would be the cats meow :wink:

Funny you should mention that.

I do own a DJI Inspire. Nice machine and takes great video. The case fits in the luggage rack perfectly but it is too big to take camping or long travels.

So I bought a Lily. I haven't received it yet but it is small enough to carry, waterproof and cheap enough that I won't be really pi$$ed off if I crash it, as compared to the Inspire.

Get your monkey to fly it along sometime when you ride....that would be so f...ing cool!!
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Ernest Becker
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ernest Becker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:02 am

These lights have a hi/lo beam and are tied into the factory hi/lo circuit via a pair of relays. They are automatic in the sense that whatever the factory light does - so do these auxiliary lights. No driver input required at all.

Yes, I am going to put a good ole incandescent back into the factory light.
2015 Urinal cT (put the 'in' into Ural)
500EXC and 200XCW
280TXT

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:50 pm

My Hellas are tied into the high beam also.....my LEDs are not.....but that can be changed. It would be nice to have them all blast on at once when you hit the high beam. Hmmmm me thinks we'll do that!
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Ernest Becker
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ernest Becker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:09 pm

I have always had issue with lights that only power up for high beam. The problem, as I see it, is that my eyes adjust to the brighter lighting of high beam and then when I return to low beam it looks dark in comparison. That's why I installed these... three lights on low and three lights on high, all of similar output.
500EXC and 200XCW
280TXT

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Ernest Becker wrote:I have always had issue with lights that only power up for high beam. The problem, as I see it, is that my eyes adjust to the brighter lighting of high beam and then when I return to low beam it looks dark in comparison. That's why I installed these... three lights on low and three lights on high, all of similar output.

I can see your point.....as I don't ride much after dark, I don't think that would be an issue to me. Maybe the answer is a three position switch.....low/medium/high :wink:
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Ernest Becker
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ernest Becker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:25 pm

54vintage wrote:
Ernest Becker wrote:I have always had issue with lights that only power up for high beam. The problem, as I see it, is that my eyes adjust to the brighter lighting of high beam and then when I return to low beam it looks dark in comparison. That's why I installed these... three lights on low and three lights on high, all of similar output.

I can see your point.....as I don't ride much after dark, I don't think that would be an issue to me. Maybe the answer is a three position switch.....low/medium/high :wink:

Good one!
500EXC and 200XCW
280TXT

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby siberman1 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:29 pm

54vintage wrote:

Hmmm, perhaps I am missing something here. If you don't ride much after dark, why so many lights? Curious.

I rarely ride after dark, even with my heavy touring motorcycle, so just the HID headlight and 1 auxiliary light is just fine. The HID headlight really does a good job by itself. I mean, after all, it is a Ural, and has lower speeds than most motorcycles.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:48 pm

siberman1 wrote:
54vintage wrote:

Hmmm, perhaps I am missing something here. If you don't ride much after dark, why so many lights? Curious.

I rarely ride after dark, even with my heavy touring motorcycle, so just the HID headlight and 1 auxiliary light is just fine. The HID headlight really does a good job by itself. I mean, after all, it is a Ural, and has lower speeds than most motorcycles.

YMMV

Tis better to have it and not need it....than to need it and not have it :wink:
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”