Comfort (or lack thereof)

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
BigJames
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Comfort (or lack thereof)

Postby BigJames » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:26 pm

I just happen to have Myrtle's (95 Sportsman) stock seat that needs foam (and I am way too lazy/cheap to do that), a '13 Stock Ural bench seat the fits nothing I own (and I like it but fits neither the Retro or Sportsman! Sportsmans have no holes in the fender for a tractor back seat. 13 seat doesn't have the little brackets that slip into the seat bracket Ural used since who knows when for bench seats) If you want either, let me know...

I run HD cop seats on my Retro and Sportsman...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

scan

Postby scan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:39 pm

eastbloc wrote:I got the Pro-Taper bars on the bike today, it was a piece of cake. i ditched the risers for now.
The position of the bars definitely unloads my butt and puts more weight on the wrists. It makes the bike feel a lot more sporty which in itself is interesting.

I'm confused about which handlebars to get and maybe the whole concept of replacing the bars instead of a 1" riser.
Looking at the Pro-taper website the bars that appear to be the best fit are the ATV High but when I take a measurement from what came with my cT stock handlebars look bigger. The Pro- tapers are 3 inch wider from grip to grip but it looks like you have to lean into the handlebars to reach them.
http://www.protaper.com/default/control ... duct-tabs2
Am I missing something because I thought the idea was to raise where your hands land with handlebars instead of the 1" spacer. If you go up and inch on the tractor seat and you are a big guy then you need to go up at least an inch on the handlebar to accommodate. The pro-tapers looks like I will be leaning forward way more than I am now? or no?
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Wanderrad » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Here is a pic of my rig with the Russell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby eastbloc » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:41 pm

scan wrote:
eastbloc wrote:I got the Pro-Taper bars on the bike today, it was a piece of cake. i ditched the risers for now.
The position of the bars definitely unloads my butt and puts more weight on the wrists. It makes the bike feel a lot more sporty which in itself is interesting.

I'm confused about which handlebars to get and maybe the whole concept of replacing the bars instead of a 1" riser.
Looking at the Pro-taper website the bars that appear to be the best fit are the ATV High but when I take a measurement from what came with my cT stock handlebars look bigger. The Pro- tapers are 3 inch wider from grip to grip but it looks like you have to lean into the handlebars to reach them.
http://www.protaper.com/default/control ... duct-tabs2
Am I missing something because I thought the idea was to raise where your hands land with handlebars instead of the 1" spacer. If you go up and inch on the tractor seat and you are a big guy then you need to go up at least an inch on the handlebar to accommodate. The pro-tapers looks like I will be leaning forward way more than I am now? or no?

You will absolutely lean in more with the Pro-Tapers, and the grip is wider. This is desirable for me as the stock bars leave me sitting up on my tail bone like a prairie dog. I prefer to lean in a little and raise the seat. This puts more of the weight on my legs and arms and less on my spine.

So far, this feels like it reduces fatigue in the saddle. I'm not yet sure I like the angle which the pro-tapers put my wrists, though. If I do the Crotona Midnight Run, I'll let you know how it feels after an all-nighter :lol:
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

scan

Postby scan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 pm

Good info on the handlebar eastbloc, thanks. I still think you can get that tractor seat more comfortable but what I don't know is why the more expensive gear up has a less comfortable seat than the lower model cT?
I have a gear up cover that I tried for a day and while it looks and feels nice the ride is much worse. I can feel the seat in my spine. The cheaper pleather/rubber cT seat cushion has more padding and is a lot more comfortable. If you combine it with gel foam you wont feel anything on your spine. I took a picture of the two seat covers hard to see the comparison. With the rubber seat cushion I can easily fit that thick piece of gel under the cover.
seat cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 cT
K&N air filter
Raceway reverse shifter

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby eastbloc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:26 am

That's good info. The nylon seat cover definitely does nothing for comfort. Like I said, I can feel the frame of the seat through the rubber, which has always been a feature of these tractor seats but that pleather cover you're showing there looks like it may be good.

I don't see these on Ural NE's web site though. Who sells them?
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

scan

Postby scan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:41 am

That cover came with my bike stock. I don't see them anywhere either and that is one reason why I haven't got a passenger tractor seat yet. I would like it to match.
2015 cT
K&N air filter
Raceway reverse shifter

lwcollmann
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby lwcollmann » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:00 am

pic of my Russell saddle. saddle is a personal thing. What is good for one may not be for other people.
IMG_8765.JPG

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:05 am

I had a Russell Day Long on an 1100rt a few years ago. Initially it was the ugliest seat I had ever seen.
But XXX10 for comfort. You really can go all day and beyond on one of them. Not cheap!

They actually do look pretty good on a Ural. Guess the bike and the seat compliment each other looks-wise.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Wanderrad » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:36 am

Agreed. When I initially installed the Russell I didn't really like the look or the feel of it. But now I really like it. I was used to the tractor seat which sat a bit closer and lower. Plus the Russell needs to break in to the rider. If you need to move up and aft, the Russell will do that.
2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

lomax

Postby lomax » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:06 pm

eastbloc wrote:Is that a Russell bench? I'd like to see some better pics!

OK it took me long enough but here are some better pictures. I know it looks goofy on the bike but my butt thanks me. :lol: It does sit up quite high but I like it that way.

84 R100RS LE,14 Ducati MTSGT,14 Hyperstrada, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 01 200EXC, 77 HD XLCR https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby eastbloc » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:45 pm

I added a rubber block to the stock seat. It makes a big difference! I no longer feel the seat frame through the seat.

It still doesn't lend itself towards "body English" in the turns, but the comfort is vastly improved with the hockey pucks and extra rubber block and support is much better.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:32 am

This seat was on my rig when I bought it. I think it may have come from raceway. It's big, cushy and not the medieval torture device known as the tractor seat. Yes I tried my bike with the OEM seat and I would rather slam the man parts in a car door than spend 20 minutes on that thing againhttp://i665.photobucket.com/albums ... ksvxcn.jpg
2012 Patrol
No chrome
It's not a speed limit, its a goal.http://sidecarmark.com/

Casty62
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Casty62 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:33 am

2012 Patrol
No chrome
It's not a speed limit, its a goal.http://sidecarmark.com/

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby eastbloc » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:34 am

I made a major breakthrough in comfort by moving my seat forward (using the OEM holes). This is counter-intuitive, since I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam, but with the Pro-Taper bars the grips were moved forward quite a bit from the Russian "roto-tiller" handles. This position also puts my back out of conflict with the rear passenger grab bar loop, which tended to leave bruises on my back.

So now I've done:

- double hockey puck seat height boost
- Pro-Taper bars
- move seat forward

and I think I can now live with the tractor seat.
'14 Gear Up
'00 Bavarian Classic

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”