Comfort (or lack thereof)

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Brian Crean
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Comfort (or lack thereof)

Postby Brian Crean » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:24 am

The seat I mentioned is a Corbin Gentry 47-0552. It has twice the padding of the classic Police Solo, and the corners are rounded, so you have some "wiggle space" on a long run. It'll fit with a Raceway mount, and for me 3" springs work the best

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:03 pm

I got a Harley police seat. It's huge, but it's pretty comfortable. I put it down right on top of the tractor seat to see how it would feel. Amusingly, that's feeling like exactly the perfect position for me -- with the police seat sitting on top of the tractor, making it about the same height as the pillion tractor.

I'd have to get creative with mounting this bad boy, so for now I've decided to take some incremental steps. I installed a 1" riser on the handlebars and a 1" riser on the stock tractor by installing longer bolts with spacers. It's a little better. My knees aren't quite as bent and as a result my weight doesn't ride completely on my spine. But I'm going to want to either raise the tractor a lot more (while possibly switching to the police seat) or ditch the tractors altogether for something like the enduro that allows me to sit further back.
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Brian Crean wrote:Corbin also makes a thicker version of that 1920's seat, mounted on the same metal pan. If you go that way, they are comfortable, but be aware that relocating the fender rack is required for clearance

Have an ancient version of that seat on my Servicar. So early it is a Corbin cover on a stock HD seat pan! Ural also now offers a taller seat mount for, well, tall guys...and a seat riser, or you can slip a hockey puck under your mount and get 1.5 inches of height too...best part of a Ural, so may ways to modify...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (90K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

Revtech100

Postby Revtech100 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Other bikes I've owned, I've built my own seat pans to match my wide azz. Now the ural tractor seat is the most comfortable I have ever had. Maybe to may years on a farm, but it fits me well. On long rides (1,000 plus miles), not even a wimper from the back side. Love it!
2003 HD Ultra Classic - Sold
1969 Honda Trail 90 - Sold
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black - gave away
2000 custom softball - gave away
2011 KLR 650 -Sold
2013 Ural Gear Up

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:19 pm

The hockey puck mod is genius. Two pucks raises the seat to where I think I would like it. I haven't ruled out a third puck, which would put the front seat level with the rear.

IMG_2324 (1).jpg
IMG_2325 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:01 pm

This didn't help much in terms of comfort. It does help with confidence. I've been riding GS'es all my life and don't like sitting low to the ground. I like to be able to see what's going on.

Comfort-wise the bike remains a bit of a disaster. Something about the bars and the seat makes me slouch, and the stiff suspension and crappy area roads act like a pile driver to the spine.

I think the problem is being relatively fixed in position with the tractor seat. I don't think anything short of a bench seat is going to solve this for me. I do think the position of the bars is contributing though, so I'm going to swap them with some Pro-Tapers before I go splurge on the seat.
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Wow, that is really high. How tall are you?

I found the regular standard tractor to be the most comfortable and my bike came with a bench seat. I did add 1"bar risers so I was not slouching downward. I'm 6'2" and 225lbs.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm 6'4" and 220lbs with a 35" inseam. I don't think height is the main issue. I have some specific repeated-stress injuries from years of motorcycling and bicycling that are aggravated by the seating position. I just need to find ergos that work for me. I had the same issue on my '95 Sportsman (tractor seat) but never had a problem with all-day comfort on my '96 Tourist with a bench.

I do think changing the angle of the bars will help. I added 1" risers too but it did not do much. I think the angle of the grips is suboptimal.

One thing I am fully confident of is that it will be possible to set this bike up to my needs, and that it will be well worth doing. I will document the process here in case someone else can learn from it.
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

scan

Postby scan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:24 pm

eastbloc wrote:This didn't help much in terms of comfort. It does help with confidence. I've been riding GS'es all my life and don't like sitting low to the ground. I like to be able to see what's going on.

Comfort-wise the bike remains a bit of a disaster. Something about the bars and the seat makes me slouch, and the stiff suspension and crappy area roads act like a pile driver to the spine.

I think the problem is being relatively fixed in position with the tractor seat. I don't think anything short of a bench seat is going to solve this for me. I do think the position of the bars is contributing though, so I'm going to swap them with some Pro-Tapers before I go splurge on the seat.

I added 5/8 thick gel foam to the tractor seat and it helps. I too need to either raise the bars or replace them. Which pro-taper are you look at?
2015 cT
EJK tuner (settings 5,4,1)
K&N air filter
Raceway 2to1 exhaust header, cat delete, OEM muffler - drilled
Raceway reverse shifter

"God bless the Muhs family"
https://www.gofundme.com/2hksrqjw

gsjo
Comrade
Comrade

Postby gsjo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:34 pm

My 2012 Patrol came with a Russel Day Long with back rest and 1" bar risers. Very good fit for me
6' 3". But not nearly as nice looking as the wife's solo on her GU.

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:36 pm

I got the Pro Taper SE Handlebars from Revzilla. I'll be putting them on this weekend. They're a fair bit wider and shaped more like the familiar bars on my GS.

Maybe I'm too much of a princess, but one of the problems with the tractor seat is that the rubber is very soft and I end up sitting on the two metal supports under the seat. These hard, concentrated points cause discomfort after an hour in the saddle. My '95 Sportsman had the identical problem, so it's not unique to my seat (though it might be unique to my arse!)
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 pm

I modified my seat mount so I could use a British made LYCETTE seat Replica. they are much more comfortable than the tractor seat, having a lot more spring & flex, but still look right. I am using the old Ural pull back handle bar risers, with low superbike bars. fits me pretty well.
see photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

lomax

Postby lomax » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:05 pm

I went full out and put a Russel Day long on mine. Nice and comfortable and sits up high :D

Sorry, best picture I have of it.

Yes it is a Russel bench. I can get better pictures but it will be about three weeks before I can. :oops: I got it from Raceway.
Last edited by lomax on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
84 R100RS LE,14 Ducati MTSGT,14 Hyperstrada, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 13 TR650, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 01 200EXC, 77 HD XLCR https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:26 pm

Is that a Russell bench? I'd like to see some better pics!

I got the Pro-Taper bars on the bike today, it was a piece of cake. i ditched the risers for now. The clutch cable routing is a little convoluted, it hits the headlight ear on the left side pretty soon in the travel of the housing so I may need to tweak it a bit.

The position of the bars definitely unloads my butt and puts more weight on the wrists. It makes the bike feel a lot more sporty which in itself is interesting.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. It's unclear whether this will solve my ergo issues, but it's a low-cost change. I like the look and feel of the bar so far and I like the crossbar (gives me more places to mount stuff).
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:14 pm

Here's a few pics of the Pro-Tapers. Yeah, I ran out of black zip-ties.

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”