Comfort (or lack thereof)

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Comfort (or lack thereof)

Postby eastbloc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:20 am

The one thing I know I'll be missing from my now-deceased R1150GS-Ural rig is the comfort of the height (I'm 6'4") and the Corbin saddle. While I love the look, the tractor seat is a torture device, leaving me cramped and with burst blood vessels on the small of my back from leaning into the passenger grab handle.

I'd like the seat to be taller and offer a larger range of motion. I'm guessing that might mean going with the bench, but I'd be curious to hear what other tall people have done to improve the comfort of the Ural on longer rides. Also, how much work is it to swap between tractor and bench on the latest bikes? Does fitting the bench require drilling or any other changes? Finally, do bench seats interchange between pre- and post-FI bikes?
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Comfort (or lack thereof)

Postby GHGoodwin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:37 am

I would suggest that you consider making your own mount and using a HD seat. Bunch oF stuff in this forum about modding seat mounts.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby thumper05flstsc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:59 am

I too am 6'4" and have bad knees to boot. I have used all three (stock tractor, bench and Harley Police) seats and have found the Harley seat to be the most comfortable both for my backside and my legs. The bench is nice (the flatter one) in that it gives you the ability to move fore and aft. I like the look of the stock tractor the best and the comfort the least. One of the two things I did with mine were a set of 1" risers and a 1" seat block to raise either the stock or Harley seats. Those have to be the best additions I have done to mine so far. Harley Police seats can be found pretty cheap on Ebay.

Hope you find something comfortable
Forrest fog 2013 Gear Up. "IT"........GONE Replaced with an Indian Springfield.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

Charro
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Charro » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:10 am

Tractor seats just look right on a Ural especially on the Gear Up. But I know what you mean about comfort for a tall person. I'm 6'1 with long legs. I felt locked in the tractor seat with no room to move, which cause my hips and knees to hurt. I moved the tractor seat as far back as I could, evev raised it 1 inch, not much better for me at least.

I installed the Enduro seat, much better. Even though I feel it sits a bit lower than the tractor it allows me to scoot back and move side to side. I'm happy and have even gotten used to the look. Installation was a simple bolt on with no modifications required. Your Gear Up already has the mounting holes, as it mounts where your tractor seats were mounted.

I was often tempted to give the tractors one more try, but luckily sold them to a member here.

YMMV
Andy
2012 Ural Gear Up
2004 Triumph Speed 4
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
1997 Triumph Speed Triple
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride, and I'll tell you what kind of rider you are. (Old Mexican proverb)

vetsurginc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby vetsurginc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:13 am

+1 on the Harley seat (got mine from Gene at Holopaw). I'm 6'4" and 226. Today I would probably try the enduro seat option first as being able to slide around to different positions can really help on a long ride. The bench seat has a separation between driver and passenger section (like a /5 beemer) so not as easy to shift around. also try standing for a few minutes - great breeze, blood back to butt and knees, and freaks out drivers :naughty:
Doug
2011 GearUp Vasily (Васи́лий) Main 125, idle 38, Raceway needles, and stock exhaust, MKIII air filter
2010 R1200RT Gustav

eastbloc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby eastbloc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:29 am

The most comfortable Ural I ever had was my '96 Tourist, which had a flat bench seat not unlike the Enduro seat. I'd tend to sit towards the middle of that seat, and that worked OK. That Enduro seat sure is pricey though, for a RPOC!

The "locked in" stance of the tractor is murder on hips. I was out on the bike for three hours yesterday, and while I did do some pretty abusive mountain biking in between I suspect almost all the discomfort I'm experiencing the next day is from the Ural.

I got a Harley police seat coming, we'll see how that works. In the meanwhile, I'll probably mock up some wooden blocks to raise the tractor seat and see what that does for comfort. Ideally, I'd want it to be a lot more than an inch higher. Maybe four inches!

What do you guys use for bar risers?
'14 GU
'00 BC
'95 R1100GS

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby thumper05flstsc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:33 am

Charro wrote:Tractor seats just look right on a Ural especially on the Gear Up. But I know what you mean about comfort for a tall person. I'm 6'1 with long legs. I felt locked in the tractor seat with no room to move, which cause my hips and knees to hurt. I moved the tractor seat as far back as I could, evev raised it 1 inch, not much better for me at least.

I installed the Enduro seat, much better. Even though I feel it sits a bit lower than the tractor it allows me to scoot back and move side to side. I'm happy and have even gotten used to the look. Installation was a simple bolt on with no modifications required. Your Gear Up already has the mounting holes, as it mounts where your tractor seats were mounted.

I was often tempted to give the tractors one more try, but luckily sold them to a member here.

YMMV
Andy

I just put my tractors back on and still trying to figure out why I did that. Sometimes (OK more than sometimes) I get a bug up my butt to just change something and if I have anything new I go back to something old. I did drill holes in the base plate to allow the front seat to sit further back. That does put my back right up against the grab handle on the passenger seat however which kind of works like a back rest of sorts.

I bought an older model bench which does not have the exaggerated step like the later ones, it is barley noticeable. It bolted right on to my 13 but probably not an option for the newer ones without some mods to the rig itself.

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby thumper05flstsc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:35 am

eastbloc wrote:What do you guys use for bar risers?

I use these. A bit pricey but worth the money for me. I am sure there are some that can be found cheaper but I don't like doing a lot of research on the internet.

http://www.uralne.com/handlebar-risers-1/

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:35 am

On my '07 and I'd go out on a limb to say it would be the same up to 2013... the bench and tractor seats can be swapped in less than 30 minutes. I have both as my Patrol came stock with a bench. I learned to ride the rig on the bench but after getting used to shifting my weight I tried the tractor primarily because I liked the look. Turned out I'm actually more comfortable on the tractor and it and the matching passenger seat have been on the bike since. You can in fact just raise the seat by adding longer bolts and spacers at the attachment points. Many mods in that area if you use the "Search" option on this site. I'm not tiny at 6'2" and 220lbs. so I know what you mean about feeling cramped in the cockpit. Hey, its designed for the average size German/Russian soldier in 1939. But that is only after a few hours of riding. I get the same way in a car nowadays. Ha.

I did add one inch risers to the handlebars and that made a huge difference in comfort. I think from Heindl but other Ural dealers sell them. Direct bolt-on and no need to change or even adjust your control cables. That is an inexpensive and simple first step to see if something like risers and handlebar adjustment makes a difference for you comfort-wise. You have to find the best sweet spot for your body.
Funny thing about the tractor seat is that I recently swapped the stock bench on my old BMW for the classic Denfeld Solo. I didn't keep that on for more than a day. Terrible riding position for me throwing my body forward and just plain uncomfortable. But different ergonomics between the two bikes.

I don't know if the '14's & '15 are as easily swapped?

How my Patrol is set-up. With the risers it is very comfortable.
IMG_4397.jpg

Tried the classic Denfeld solo on the BMW. Y'ad think it would be essentially the same ride as the Ural. Nope, terrible riding position for me and came right off after trying to make myself get used to it for a day.
IMG_4398.jpg

Was disappointed because it "looks" really nice on the old Beemer. But my a$$ and back don't care about "Looks"
IMG_4400.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Stagewex, take the covers off your tractor seat, they look an awful lot like the Denfeld (and there is a valid reason for that) and are equally rough to me...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (90K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:59 am

I know what you mean. I actually tried one of the Ural seat covers on the BMW's Denfeld. No difference as it really was about location or in my case lack of adjustment from the location the Denfeld is bolted in. So function over fashion for me on that bike.

On the Ural between the tractor seat, the risers and the way I have the handlebars situated I am quite comfortable neck-back and arm wise.
The old sit-up-and-beg position.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

VWK75S
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby VWK75S » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:22 am

1920s HD seat
John
GU seat.JPG
Seat2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 GearUp 125,000kms
2007 Retro 19,000kms
1994 KLR250
1991 VWK75S

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby thumper05flstsc » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:00 am

VWK75S wrote:1920s HD seat
John
GU seat.JPG
Seat2.JPG

Do you have more detailed pictures of how you mounted it? I have one in my garage and like the way you mounted yours. Very comfortable seat in my opinion.

Brian Crean

Postby Brian Crean » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:06 am

Corbin also makes a thicker version of that 1920's seat, mounted on the same metal pan. If you go that way, they are comfortable, but be aware that relocating the fender rack is required for clearance

VWK75S
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby VWK75S » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:25 am

On the GU had to turn the rack 180 with two new mounting holes. Seat is Corbin Gentry.
On the Tourist has taller springs the rack didn't have to be moved. Seat is Chinese copy.
Started out with rubber blocks but changed to springs.
John

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21256&start=15&hilit=1920+saddle
2009 GearUp 125,000kms
2007 Retro 19,000kms
1994 KLR250
1991 VWK75S

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”