Electric lean for Ural Sidecar on CL

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
TerryG
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Electric lean for Ural Sidecar on CL

Postby TerryG » Fri May 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Terry

2011 Retro
2000 Bavarian Classic (Gone but never forgotten)

DanKearney

Re: Electric lean for Ural Sidecar on CL

Postby DanKearney » Fri May 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Curious.

There must be a huge Ural market in Hudson, Wisconsin for an inventor to gauge interest on Craigslist there for such an esoteric product. :P

Cheers,

Dan K.

nbsdave
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby nbsdave » Fri May 09, 2014 5:20 pm

no doubt a useful idea
I would like to see, feel, touch one in operation before I become a believer
seems to me he should have posted a pic or two, just to show it's for real
keep your word, no excuses
Ural-it's not just another motorcycle!
2011 Ural T, now only a memory

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 pm

I've seen electric lean on rigs before, seemed like a pita since you had to adjust it as you cornered, at least on the one I saw. Used to have a Flexit on my BMW that leaned with the bike, liked it solo better.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Some of the electric leans claim not just stability but also that you can still enjoy thrill of riding a 2 wheel motorcycle rather than driving a rig.
And you can turn it on or off. I don't know... I think I'd want to keep those two worlds apart.
Still, would be interesting to see especially on/for a Ural.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

Lee Pape

Postby Lee Pape » Sun May 11, 2014 8:53 am

Electric lean is an easy way to adjust for the crown in the road and load in the hack. It might be nice to have if you travel to a lot of different states where the road crown changers a lot. I think if you need to use it going around a curve then you need to learn to drive your rig or get it set up correctly to begin with. Messing with the electric lean while going around a curve would, could be like a teenager, or anyone, trying to text and drive at the same time.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

lwcollmann
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby lwcollmann » Sun May 11, 2014 2:00 pm

a men Lee

BigJames

Postby BigJames » Wed May 14, 2014 11:33 pm

come to our Rally in June. The guy leading the dual sport ride has a Ural sidecar on his GS that he has heavily modified including electric lean. When used properly, it is amazing, when used wrong it breaks stuff and can hurt you, quick. Bill knows how to use his properly...
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (99K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (231K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

governmentmodel45

Postby governmentmodel45 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi... I'm new to the SS forum, actually, this is my first post. I registered because I'm answering the questions mentioned in this thread. You see, I'm the guy with the Electric Lean ad on Craig's List in Minneapolis. The old ad expired, and I posted a new ad with some pictures and more info... I'm thinking about getting a video camera so I can make a video of the kit in action. Just like cruise control and on board air compressors on a Goldwing are not for everybody, neither is electric lean, some people just don't need it. They're fine with things the way they are, and that's all fine and good... But for me, my rig (a Valkyrie with a URAL hack BTW) is a working rig. It's not just a toy, it works every day, and for the most part, until the snow flies, I rarely use a car. In my younger days, I'd ride year round, but I'm getting older and these old bone, do enjoy a heater, once the mercury dips below say 32 degrees or so... In any case, anyone who wants more info, please go to the URL below, and take a look.

Keep your nose in the wind...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/m ... 48218.html
Last edited by governmentmodel45 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Postby Trevorski » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Welcome, and thank you for offering your ideas and effort. While I can't speak for others, some of what you may be encountering in the way of lukewarm reception may have to do with the factor that many of those drawn to/ sticking with Urals like the bomb-proof simplicity of most parts of the machine, like to do their own work (with parts and technologies that they already understand), and tend to be frugal (counter to the bling and image encrusted mainstream motorcycle scene). That's not to say that this product does not have merit or value. I think if you could do some videos, showing the unit in action, explaining its merits in operation in various conditions, and helping people understand how it works, that the parts will be available if needed, that it's reversible (removable) without grief if someone does not like it, etc., and maybe do some exploration and outreach with some of the dealers who focus on and "move" lots of Urals, it might have more traction than a CL trial balloon.

Experimentation and innovation is good, even if a given idea or product is not for everyone's taste/ budget/ priorities.
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

lwcollmann
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby lwcollmann » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 am

I looked into a electric lean when I put a sputnik sidecar on my guzzi. I was too cheep to do it. Now I wish I hade it. I went with the disk brake and not the lean.
DMC motors offers booth of them.
LLoyd

governmentmodel45

Postby governmentmodel45 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:32 am

Trevorski:

I do understand and appreciate your words...

An old gunsmith/machinist friend of mine once said "nothing is permanent if you have torches and a welder"... For some, the lean conversion would be easily reversible, and for others, not so. It's the latter we speak of because those are also the people that don't understand it. In essence, what this conversion does is allow you to infinitely adjust (up & down at the touch of a button) where your sidecars upper shock mount is. Once this conversion is on the sidecar, I can't see a reason why anyone would need/want to remove it. If you don't like using it, just set it where the factory setting was and leave it... Even if the actuator motor goes south (and you just don't want to buy another) you can simply disconnect it and screw it out to what ever point you like and leave it. If you're not committed to this conversion, I'd say don't do it... Read more, research more, understand it and become committed, beforehand. This is a custom installation, It requires removing parts of the frame and adding others (upper shock mount, swing arm stop, etc). Sure, if you have the capability to install it you have the capability to remove it. If you have it installed by someone else, figure it'll cost about the same amount to have it "un-installed"... Personally, I have no problem putting my sidecar under the torch for the betterment of my rig. My rig will always be a work in progress, in fact every motorcycle I own can be counted the same. Motorcyclists are a breed apart from that of our 4 wheeled friends in that we desire to be different, we seek a better way. I recently installed 8 degree trail reduction triple trees and that's a process I didn't relish, but I'm already thinking about changing them to 6 degree trees, and I have no problem with that. I run a car tire on the back of my tug (Valkyrie Interstate), and my next project will probably be modification so I can run a Valkyrie wheel with a car tire on the sidecar. That way I'll get better mileage out of both, and I'll be able to use one spare. All this said, please let me point out, that there is nothing I like better than discussing motorcycles, so anyone with an interest, is encouraged to contact me, and lets "BS" a bit. You can contact me through the Craigs List ad URL below, and once that expires I can be contacted through my internet book business as well, http://www.GunShowBooks.com ... I'm confident anyone who understands it will want it, the only consideration is of course, money. Some will think the costs out weigh the benefits, and others (like myself) will think it's cheap at any price. For those that contact me, a word of caution, as is obvious by my first two posts, I can be a bit long winded...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/m ... 48218.html

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”