Fading Tonneau Cover

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
SkippysPad
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Fading Tonneau Cover

Postby SkippysPad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Bilgekeeldave wrote:
nbsdave wrote:I use Back to Black often, have not tried the other stuff.
neither works on fabric though

A Ural toneau cover is not vinyl?

Dave

Nope....the 2013s and after are "Cordura".....a kinda nylon type of material. The website http://www.cordura.com/en/index.html doesn't really say what it's made from.
Loveland, CO USA
Current: 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
Previous: 2013 Tourist No "Upgrades" but all kindsa Farkel (Happy new home in New York)

nbsdave
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby nbsdave » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:03 am

Bilgekeeldave wrote:
nbsdave wrote:I use Back to Black often, have not tried the other stuff.
neither works on fabric though

A Ural toneau cover is not vinyl?

Dave

Some are, in the very first post where the question is asked, Cordura is mentioned as the tonneau material.
Cordura is not vinyl.
keep your word, no excuses
Ural-it's not just another motorcycle!
2011 Ural T, now only a memory

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tx2sturgis » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:48 am

:thumbsup:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:42 pm

SkippysPad wrote:A little update........
I stopped by the dealership to see if they had any thoughts about this issue. They offered up a tonneau cover from a trade in that was faded out worse than mine. I was able to try both the Kiwi and the spray paint methods.

The Kiwi method didn't impress me. It might do good on a jacket where you have lots of odd shapes etc., but on a large piece of fabric it was impossible to get even coverage. I was 3 coats in and could still see uneven lines and places that were lighter than others. I finished it off spraying it with several coats of "Scotch Guard" outdoor water shield. This is the stuff made for water proofing tents, awnings.....etc. The Scotch Guard evened out the lines some.....but they were still pretty obvious in direct sun.
0409141435.jpg

0409141502.jpg

0409141509.jpg

Not happy with the way that turned out, I bought some Flat Black Rust-Oleum made for most any application from metal to nylon and plastic. I did as the previous video suggested and applied light coats until all the fading and lines were evened out. I then put a couple of coats of the same Scotch Guard on and let everything dry. This one came out looking like it did when it was new. It looked so good, that once the Kiwi one was dry, I did it the same way.

Mine wasn't quite as faded......but.....Before
0409141530.jpg

After
0409141813a.jpg

Of course.....time will tell how well it stands up to the sun. My bike is in the garage unless it's on the road or sitting in the parking lot at work. So I was a little surprised at how quickly it faded. Apparently there is something new coming that will be more resistant to the UV damage of the current fabric.

As for the grommets. If you don't want them black as well, a little chap stick over just the top will allow you to clean the paint right off when you're done.

Mine is very faded as well, almost to silver. It looks okay on my FF GU, but I randomly think about dying it back to black. A long time ago, I dyed some white nylon wheels from an R/C truck from natural to black with Rit dye. I didn't leave them in long enough, so they ended up being a very dark purple. Over the time that I used them, only the places where they got nicked with gravel were there any problems.

I was even able to clean up the pot really well when done.

One of these days, I may try cooking up the cover in some dye.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2013 GearUp (Taildragger)
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

SkippysPad
Party Member
Party Member

Postby SkippysPad » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:54 pm

I tried the Rit dye last fall and saw ZERO change. I left it soaking over night in a 5 gallon bucket with an extra heavy solution of dye and not even a shade darker. I'm not sure what "Cordura" is, but it doesn't seem to take dye and at the same time fades pretty quickly.
Loveland, CO USA
Current: 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
Previous: 2013 Tourist No "Upgrades" but all kindsa Farkel (Happy new home in New York)

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:12 pm

From what I remember, you need to add some heat to the mix, esp for 'color fast' materials / man made materials.

Cordura is nylon.

When my tonneau was new, it seemed to bead water, so there might be some waterproofer applied during manufacture. Maybe w@$#ing it first with detergent to remove the waterproofing.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2013 GearUp (Taildragger)
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

The Stagedive

Postby The Stagedive » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 am

SkippysPad wrote:Mine wasn't quite as faded......but.....Before
0409141530.jpg

After
0409141813a.jpg

Of course.....time will tell how well it stands up to the sun. My bike is in the garage unless it's on the road or sitting in the parking lot at work. So I was a little surprised at how quickly it faded. Apparently there is something new coming that will be more resistant to the UV damage of the current fabric.

As for the grommets. If you don't want them black as well, a little chap stick over just the top will allow you to clean the paint right off when you're done.

:bow:

My 2011 Cover had faded to silver/white! Texas sun! It looked reaaaaaaaaaly bad. I'd just been riding with it for years. So I got my bike back from a repair that took far far far too long (and the bastard stored her in the sun the whole time!), and decided to give your method a go!

I just did the spray paint and camp seal yesterday, and its looks fantastic! I gotta ask, how well did your hold up after doing this? Timewise I mean. I know I'll have to replace it eventually, but just wanted to see how long your take on it lasted?

Beastmaster
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Postby Beastmaster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:09 am

I have a vinyl cover on mine and am a big fan of 303 Aerospace Protectant (bilgekeeldave posted a link above). I've used it on my Jeep for years and nothing beats it under the Arizona sun. :thumbsup:
>>>The smartest man knows what he doesn't know.<<<
2018 M70 (Natasha) in Beautiful Southern Arizona (Tucson)

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Ironhand » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Has anyone tried the spray paint method on the seat cover? Both my tonneau and seat cover have faded to shade of purple which I'd like to do away with.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Sun May 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Spray Vinyl Upholstery color will work on Cordura, because it will color vinyl. I wonder what the black rubberized spray "as seen on TV" would do. I sprayed several battery boxes with it. it went on thin & dried a thin rubber coating. I'm guessing it would work.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”