I have been following the exploits of Barry "windmill" and Richard "Leftka" as they have built and modified, constantly refined their air boxes. The air box I have been running for the last four years has worked extremely well but what these two miscreants have come up with in my opinion may very well work better and I think the best praise a person can give is to incorporate the work of others into ones own contraptions. THANK YOU Barry for pioneering this radical concept on the Ural.
I'll be using the air filter and the rubber end caps from my old air box as I build this new one. Using my old filter and end caps will make the fabrication of this new air box much SIMPLER then what the other folks have done as I won't need to build couplers from many different parts.
I am now waiting the for the "Enginaire Pre-Cleaner" to arrive, in the mean time I went down to the local hardware store and purchased the THREE pieces of PVC that will be used to build my version of this style of air box. All I am using is One 4" white PVC Tee, One piece of 2" OD PVC pipe, and One 4" PVC end cap. I may when the air box itself is finished bond to it a couple of PVC couplers that will have steel nuts bonded into them which will be used to mount the air box to the frame of my bike in the same location as my old air box was mounted. If I go this route I'll include how it is done in this build report. So lets get started.
These are the parts I started with, a 4" PVC Tee, a 4" PVC end cap, and a chunk of 2" OD PVC pipe. The rubber end cap is a part I modified to use on my old air box and will be reusing on this version of the air box.
This photo shows how I cut the end off of the PVC end cap and have cut very short the center coupling part of the PVC Tee. I will grind down the flat part of the end cap so that it fits snugly into the shortened center coupling on the Tee where it will be glued in place.
Here you can see that the center coupling of the PVC Tee has been capped off by gluing the modified PVC end cap in place. EDIT, as the end cap was so thin I used TWO pieces of end cap glued together and then glued into the Tee. I neglected to mention this when I first put this post up.
The next step will be to drill-machine a very tight hole in the center of the PVC end cap that has been glued into the PVC Tee to accept a short piece of 2" OD PVC pipe. I'll use a 1-3/4" hole-saw to rough the hole in the end cap and then finish bore it to size with a boring head on my milling machine. I want the pipe to be a press fit as the end cap is not that thick and the bond between it and the pipe will have to support the Pre-Cleaner. Once I get the Pre-Cleaner in hand and see how much it weighs I may change the plan to allow for some other support of the 2" OD pipe. I want to make this as compact as possible so the plan at this stage of the game is to have the Pre-Cleaner mount as close as possible to the flat surface of the end cap.
Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.
Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"
Driver of the yet unnamed, 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test future developments for the new generation of Fueli rigs now being produced.
My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/
Join "Smugmug", use this coupon-code and save five bucks ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 )