center stand mods?

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

center stand mods?

Postby Thermos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:19 pm

So I went out with the wife to go swimming, and on the way back I got a flat on the pusher. So, I put it on the center stand, go the tire off, and by the time I was to put the spare on, the center stand had sunk into the asphalt about an inch. That made it difficult enough so I had to get out the bottle jack.

Do some folks carry like a metal plate or something else to put beneath the center stand so it won't sink down? Any better ideas?

-T
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
1977 R100S
1977 GL1000
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Re: center stand mods?

Postby cdscoot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Thermos wrote:So I went out with the wife to go swimming, and on the way back I got a flat on the pusher. So, I put it on the center stand, go the tire off, and by the time I was to put the spare on, the center stand had sunk into the asphalt about an inch. That made it difficult enough so I had to get out the bottle jack.

Do some folks carry like a metal plate or something else to put beneath the center stand so it won't sink down? Any better ideas?

-T

The top plate to a junction box works wonders!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby a1930ford » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:02 pm

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are our resume in Heaven."
"Cheapest, most efficient and longest distance wifi in the world is prayer."

2005 Troyka "The Dog Taxi" - Ada, OK.

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Postby cdscoot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:56 pm

You could get one of those metal grates for the grill and carry it with you . If you need it under the center stand use it there - if not you are all set for the campfire! 8)
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2009 BMW R1200RT

kawzak
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby kawzak » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:50 pm

I took mine off when I removed the mid pipes. The stand hit the mufflers when I moved them up-so I thought- If I build a smaller/lighter jack, I can use it at the old center stand location/under side car/ front @ engine to change any of the tires. I settled on a home made small screw jack that has 5" lift from contact with the center stand pivot shaft. I put the pivot shaft back on after I slid a slightly longer piece of 1/2" claer vinyl tubing over between the side mounts-so te pivot shaft would not rattle. So I lost a few pounds and now have a jack I can use to change any of the (3) wheels. I forgot to add-the base of my little jack is 1/2" thick aluminum that is 2" x 3". So I think it will not push into the ground/asphalt very easily.
1999 victory V-92c Ser # 67
2012 Ural Patrol
20+ bikes and a couple scooters

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

center stand mods?

Postby Thermos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:32 pm

kawzak wrote:I took mine off when I removed the mid pipes. The stand hit the mufflers when I moved them up-so I thought- If I build a smaller/lighter jack, I can use it at the old center stand location/under side car/ front @ engine to change any of the tires. I settled on a home made small screw jack that has 5" lift from contact with the center stand pivot shaft. I put the pivot shaft back on after I slid a slightly longer piece of 1/2" claer vinyl tubing over between the side mounts-so te pivot shaft would not rattle. So I lost a few pounds and now have a jack I can use to change any of the (3) wheels. I forgot to add-the base of my little jack is 1/2" thick aluminum that is 2" x 3". So I think it will not push into the ground/asphalt very easily.

I don't want to loose the center stand. I find it convenient in most cases. The fact that I needed to get out a jack was aggravating at the time.

-T
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

1977 R100S
1977 GL1000

former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

center stand mods?

Postby Thermos » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 pm

a1930ford wrote:Squished up beer can or soda can works in a pinch. I'd bet that if you had a couple of those mechanic metal bowls with magnets on the bottom, like you can get at Harbor Freight or an any auto store, you could easily attach them inside the walls of the trunk and use them for such just such an event or as dog bowls for water. Actually lots of various uses when you get creative. They don't take up any real space and hang in there ready for use. I haven't done this to make sure it works, but I am betting it would.

I like the idea of the magnetic metal bowls!!

-T
Yogi Berra

1977 R100S
1977 GL1000

former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

ReCycled
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby ReCycled » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 pm

I like putting a 2"x4" under the inside leg of the centerstand whenever I plan to pull the rear wheel. The extra height and space just makes the process easier, especially if a knobby is involved.

Getting the bike on the centerstand is difficult enough when the rear is flat, the extra 1 1/2" makes it nearly impossible. In addition the first piece of 2x4, I also carry two more pieces screwed together to make it 3" thick. I first roll the back tire on to the single 2x4 and then the double. Now that the back of the bike is raised, I place the single 2x4 under the inside leg of centerstand and roll the bike back. The additional 1 1/2" mechanical advantage means it pops right on to the centerstand without any effort.

To space save, these pieces need only be 4"-6" long. But I prefer the doubled piece to be longer and can then be used as a sturdy prop to hold the front wheel high off the ground when the centerstand is deployed as described and the rig is sitting on the two rear wheels.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

pjarmstrongaz
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby pjarmstrongaz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:59 am

a scooter shop I used to go to had giveaway kiktsand platorms. These were made o plasti so I'm not sure they would be hardy ehough or the Ural. But maybe your loal bike shop has these.
Pam
2007 Gear Up "SHREK"
2012 CSC Military 150 Camo

kawzak
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby kawzak » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:54 pm

If nothing else, go to a Metal Fabrication shop. have them cut you a 4" x 10" x 1/8" thick piece of aluminum. Round off the corners. Drill (1) small hole near a corner so you can run a bright colored piece of nylon string. loop the string over the handle bar. That way you don't have to crawl under the bike to get it-and the colored string will remind you it is there. Plus it weighs almost nothing.
1999 victory V-92c Ser # 67
2012 Ural Patrol
20+ bikes and a couple scooters

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Niteblues » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:30 pm

ReCycled wrote:I like putting a 2"x4" under the inside leg of the centerstand whenever I plan to pull the rear wheel. The extra height and space just makes the process easier, especially if a knobby is involved.

Getting the bike on the centerstand is difficult enough when the rear is flat, the extra 1 1/2" makes it nearly impossible. In addition the first piece of 2x4, I also carry two more pieces screwed together to make it 3" thick. I first roll the back tire on to the single 2x4 and then the double. Now that the back of the bike is raised, I place the single 2x4 under the inside leg of centerstand and roll the bike back. The additional 1 1/2" mechanical advantage means it pops right on to the centerstand without any effort.

To space save, these pieces need only be 4"-6" long. But I prefer the doubled piece to be longer and can then be used as a sturdy prop to hold the front wheel high off the ground when the centerstand is deployed as described and the rig is sitting on the two rear wheels.

You must have taught me that, 'cause that's exactly what I have and use. :bow:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Thermos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:21 am

ReCycled wrote:I like putting a 2"x4" under the inside leg of the centerstand whenever I plan to pull the rear wheel. The extra height and space just makes the process easier, especially if a knobby is involved.

You wouldn't have any pictures of this process, would you?

-T
Yogi Berra

1977 R100S
1977 GL1000

former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

ReCycled

Postby ReCycled » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 am

Thermos wrote:

-T

The doubled piece was cut to fit the width of the trunk, any shorter and I would worry about rolling off the back before the centerstand was fully deployed. The single can be smaller but again, a larger target makes it easier.
DSCF0001[1].JPG

Line up the single then double behind the rear tire.
DSCF0005[1].JPG

Roll the bike back.
DSCF0007[1].JPG

Line up the single under the centerstand.
DSCF0009[1].JPG

Pulling up/back on centerstand should be a little easier as you now have an 1 1/2" advantage.
DSCF0010[1].JPG

Look at how much ground clearance is gained, this makes servicing easier.
DSCF0011[1].JPG

Now the double is free to prop the front of the bike for front end service.
DSCF0013[1].JPG

After I packed things back in the trunk I did it again as I realized this was an opportunity to mention an important safety practice. Whenever you place the bike on the centerstand and remove the rear wheel there is a serious risk of damage or injury should the bike roll forward. This may be because of the slope, footing, or simply because you are wrestling with something to fit. A very easy and secure way to prevent this is to run a strap between the front wheel and the indside leg of the centerstand.
DSCF0015[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Thermos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:58 pm

ReCycled wrote:
Thermos wrote:

-T

The doubled piece was cut to fit the width of the trunk, any shorter and I would worry about rolling off the back before the centerstand was fully deployed. The single can be smaller but again, a larger target makes it easier.
DSCF0001[1].JPG

Line up the single then double behind the rear tire.
DSCF0005[1].JPG

Roll the bike back.
DSCF0007[1].JPG

Line up the single under the centerstand.
DSCF0009[1].JPG

Pulling up/back on centerstand should be a little easier as you now have an 1 1/2" advantage.
DSCF0010[1].JPG

Look at how much ground clearance is gained, this makes servicing easier.
DSCF0011[1].JPG

Now the double is free to prop the front of the bike for front end service.
DSCF0013[1].JPG

After I packed things back in the trunk I did it again as I realized this was an opportunity to mention an important safety practice. Whenever you place the bike on the centerstand and remove the rear wheel there is a serious risk of damage or injury should the bike roll forward. This may be because of the slope, footing, or simply because you are wrestling with something to fit. A very easy and secure way to prevent this is to run a strap between the front wheel and the indside leg of the centerstand.
DSCF0015[1].JPG

Thank you for taking the time to post this info with pictures! That is so simple, I will do just that this afternoon when I switch out tires.

Awesome-

-T
Yogi Berra

1977 R100S
1977 GL1000

former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Thermos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:26 pm

I just changed out rear tires using the 2 by 4 method, and it works so easy! I was able to remove my continental knobby tire(super aggressive tread) very easy with the extra clearance!. Thanks ReCycled!

-T
Yogi Berra

1977 R100S
1977 GL1000

former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”