Ural Performance Upgrades

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
GregAus
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Ural Performance Upgrades

Postby GregAus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:28 am

Snakeoil wrote:A few miscellaneous, thinking out loud thoughts on this subject. These are rhetorical in nature. Not expecting anyone to have a hard answer for any of them.

How hard would it be to convert the engine for a totally pressurized oil system so that plain big end bearings could be used? Lot of work but has been done with Dnepr crankshaft, same big end bearings.
With that done, what would it take to fit a late model BMW airhead crank? $$$$$$$$
With a stout crank, could VW jugs and pistons be used? I'm thinking VW because airhead parts are getting expensive, even when bought as used parts. Been done on Ural 650s
VW heads are out because I'm pretty sure one head bolts to 2 jugs. So, BMW heads would be the next choice. Look up Half VW. Great Plains even made a head for half VWs
Hmmmm...Maybe BMW jugs, pistons, rods are the way to go. Solves fit-up problems. Just need to get the jugs mounted to the crankcase and have the pushrods line up with the valve train and sealed. Been done. BMW R 65 heads and barrels fit with only the need to move the bottom two studs and make a spacer plate and machine the crankcase mouth. Lack of oiling causes problems though.

Cam would be a custom grind. I wonder if there is enough meat on a stock cam to regrind. Might require metal spray. Might require a custom cam made from scratch. Easy Peasy to get a custom cam, just costs $$$$$

We need somebody that owns a CNC machine shop and owns a Ural. Would be great to have someone whittle out some custom jugs and heads. A custom, on-piece forged crank would be a great starting point.

Last point is Terry Crawford was involved with a Bonneville record bike based on a 650 engine. I'm curious what mods were made to the internals. Everyone with experience on these engines always points to the weak crank. So, I would think, if all those concerns are justified, something was done to improve crank integrity. Welded, pinned, duct tape?? Don't know what Terry did but TIG welding pins is common on Japanese 4 speedway engines.

All this seems to take me full circle back to the question of whether it is better to simply retrofit a BMW airhead into the Ural? Replaceing all the internals with BMW major parts is really turning a Ural engine into a BMW engine. There's a Polish Dnepr with a R850 engine fitted. No idea what was done, but it would have been extensive.

I like cateyetech's approach. All the usual "can't be done" people come out. But that's been said throughout human history, and it's generally been done. Reminds me of this song, just replace (Safety) Dance with Ural Upgrade.

cateyetech
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby cateyetech » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:40 am

Hey GA
Thanks for the :lol: in the morning
love the safety dance :boogie: and hadn't seen that version 8)

I do the safety dance at the shop and Dallas the parts guy always gets cracked up and spits coffee sometimes :o

Safety Upgrades? So you can run with traffic and have enough power to get out of their way sometimes :lol:
:foilhead:

We can upgrade if we want to
we can leave the other's behind
we can make more power
we can have better performance
than the other comrades of mine
:lol:
2003 Gear-Up

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm

We had a chance to go out for good ride last Saturday
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49361#p620956

I have ridden up Hwy 7 many times over the last few years
and this time it made me smile :D
the ease that the rig pulled the hills @ 55-60mph :P
it was always doable but I had to hit 65 to slingshot up and would drop to 40-45 and cause a downshift to 3rd before :(
and this time we never had to hit 3rd to get up some of the rougher spots :) never dropped under 50mph :boogie:
and I had the monkey and we go much easier in the curves and dump speed before starting up the hills :x

The rig feels great at 60mph, app 1/3 throttle :)
the head porting did really help on the top/ Hwy speed :thumbsup:
and we ran 150km of dirt road with a range of 6-30mph and rig performed excellent at low speed also :)
so all is like a new rig :lol: power & performance wise :twisted:

I am going to make a 0-60 video when I get time

and last week on the way to work in traffic I got in a jam pulling into a moving lane from a stalled lane
and wound it up and crammed it into 2nd and it DID pop the front wheel up again!!!

so when I make my 0-60 video I will have a camera pointed at the bottom of the front wheel, so we'll see :D

more to come soon :foilhead:
2003 Gear-Up

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 am

Your treatment of the engine will definitely put to test the theory that the cranks are not up to the job. Looking forward to the vid.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:05 pm

I finally remembered to do a few speed runs with my 650. I did them today.
Rig is my 2000 Tourist, fully rebuilt with stock pistons, new jugs, timing gears, Denso, Japanese bearings and crank. No spare, no rack, no farkles of any kind.

Third gear, fully warmed up 20mph to 40 mph. Timed by counting 1 Mississippi, 2 mississipi... Close enough for what we are doing and experience has shown it to be damn accurate for me.

Sidecar windshield up - 6 seconds
Sidecar windshield down - 5.5 seconds
Wife in hack, windshield up - 6.5 seconds to 7 seconds.

For grins I did the same run, 20-40 in second gear with windshield down and hack empty. 4 seconds.

UPDATE: I just realized I'd suggested 20-35mph run. Sorry. Gray hair ya'know. It might not be a bad idea to do some runs in 20-40 range as well. I'll try to do some 20-35 runs tomorrow. Based on the numbers I saw today, I just might whup your hopped up 750, Charlie. :boogie:
Last edited by Snakeoil on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Snakeoil,

40-60mph in second gear, what final drive ratio are you running?

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

Stryker

Postby Stryker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 pm

I have a 2016 Gear up with the 2 into 2 high mount exhaust. I have been told it was delivered with the latest offroad map. It still has very low mileage,
just at 1000 kilometers. This week I noticed at very low throttle in 1st and 2nd gear it pops a lot and throttle response is quite jerky. I was thinking about the EJK electronic jet kit. Does anyone here have any experience with this kit? Can you recommend it, or is it a waste of time and money?
2016 GU Sportsman
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (long gone)

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Snakeoil wrote:I finally remembered to do a few speed runs with my 650. I did them today.
Rig is my 2000 Tourist, fully rebuilt with stock pistons, new jugs, timing gears, Denso, Japanese bearings and crank. No spare, no rack, no farkles of any kind.

Third gear, fully warmed up 20mph to 40 mph. Timed by counting 1 Mississippi, 2 mississipi... Close enough for what we are doing and experience has shown it to be damn accurate for me.

For grins I did the same run, 40-60 in second gear with windshield down and hack empty. 4 seconds.

UPDATE: I just realized I'd suggested 20-35mph run. Sorry. Gray hair ya'know. It might not be a bad idea to do some runs in 20-40 range as well. I'll try to do some 20-35 runs tomorrow. Based on the numbers I saw today, I just might whup your hopped up 750, Charlie. :boogie:

Hey SO
Thanks for some input :)
That 20mph in 3rd is very low rpm for our rig, I never run less than 25 in 3rd even when Kofi and I are just cruising the neighborhood
I shift into 4th between 40-50 and have never been over 55 in 3rd
If you can go 60 in 2nd you CAN DEFIANTLY out run us!!!! :twisted:

2003 Gear-Up

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Stryker wrote:I have a 2016 Gear up with the 2 into 2 high mount exhaust. I have been told it was delivered with the latest offroad map. It still has very low mileage,
just at 1000 kilometers. This week I noticed at very low throttle in 1st and 2nd gear it pops a lot and throttle response is quite jerky. I was thinking about the EJK electronic jet kit. Does anyone here have any experience with this kit? Can you recommend it, or is it a waste of time and money?

Hey Stryker
I have no Ural FI experience :(
But it does sound like your lean from your description
and with free exhaust you probably need a little more fuel
as far as I know that tuner is your only option :foilhead:
2003 Gear-Up

Stryker

Postby Stryker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 am

cateyetech wrote:
Stryker wrote:I have a 2016 Gear up with the 2 into 2 high mount exhaust. I have been told it was delivered with the latest offroad map. It still has very low mileage,

Hey Stryker
I have no Ural FI experience :(
But it does sound like your lean from your description
and with free exhaust you probably need a little more fuel
as far as I know that tuner is your only option :foilhead:

Hi Cateyetech,
That is pretty much my diagnosis as well, running lean. Although I have checked the plugs and they do not indicate an overly lean mixture.
I think I might just have to bite the bullet and get one.
2016 GU Sportsman

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

Stryker, you should make your questions a separate thread. You'll probaby get more responses.

Ooops on the 40-60. Typo on my part. Fixed it.

I agree that 2500 rpm is below the normal operating range for the engine. But if you remember, the intent was to establish a baseline of sorts to determine if bottom end and mid-range performance is truly enhanced by the mods.

Given the age of your machine and the numbers I got yesterday for my 650, I'm starting to wonder if your 2003 was not a bit tired out when you got it.

Drizzling today so no retest until it stops.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist

Stryker

Postby Stryker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 am

You are probably right snakeoil I will try that.
2016 GU Sportsman

BlueRockCrawler

Postby BlueRockCrawler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:47 pm

They all do that :lol: (EFI rigs that is)
2015 Ural Patrol
previous Honda's were
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:59 pm

Snakeoil wrote:I finally remembered to do a few speed runs with my 650. I did them today.

For grins I did the same run, 20-40 in second gear with windshield down and hack empty. 4 seconds.

Hey SO
I am not a Ural expert!!!! :lol:
but we may be comparing apples and oranges (especially if your rig is red :lol: :lol: )
in gear ratio of 3rd & 4th

Screenshot (10).png

I'll try a 20-40mph run in 2nd :twisted:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2003 Gear-Up

cateyetech

Postby cateyetech » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 am

Hey SO
I tried to make a spreadsheet, but I'm not that smart :(
so here are my #
3rd 1.56
4th 1.19
tire OD 26.5 Looks like :?