Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
User avatar
Birdy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Springfield Oh

Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by Birdy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm

When I pull the wheel what should I be looking for or doing to help thing longer?
2017 Ural Patrol
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

mtrdrms
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 pm
Location: Colebrook, CT.

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by mtrdrms » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Get some moly paste and lube the s plines.
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol
1998 Tourist

User avatar
Daisy Cutter
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:36 am
Location: Hartselle AL

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by Daisy Cutter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 pm

check your rear breaks and +1 on moly paste
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2003 HD Heritage Softail Classic Anniversary Edition

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:30 pm

cool, haven't done my 2016 gu pusher yet,only 4500km still in good shape. let us newbies know how things go. :cheers: p.s. watch Lokiboys tire change video its great, if you do the brakes there are several good vids out there.
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 6397
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by windmill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 pm

I'm going to depart company here, and not recommend straight moly paste, but rather a moly/grease mix or moly fortified grease. In practice it seems to work better with grease as it continues to refresh itself and protect from corrosion resulting in noticeably less wear.
The only hub I've worn out was when I was using straight moly paste.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

User avatar
BigJames
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 5400
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:15 pm
Location: Macon, Ga. USA
Contact:

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by BigJames » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 am

+a lot on the lube the splines and check brake pads. You should be good at adjusting them by now. While your at it, drop the final drive (it isn't hard) and lube the splines in the driveshaft as well. Do not be surprised if your splines are dry, if due diligence was not done at the dealer, it happens. I do this at every tire change and 100K service... What to use is like an oil thread...I would say what I use but that would just open a can of worms.
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

Hack Man
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:13 pm
Location: Payson, Az.

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by Hack Man » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:44 am

Also be sure to properly align the driveshaft(s). If they are not properly aligned, they can bind at certain angles.
Dependents: 2013 Ural Patrol
2017 HD Road King
2015 CSC RX3
2003 GL1800 Goldwing

User avatar
VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 4335
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:25 am
Location: Sebago Lake Maine

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by VWK75S » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:12 am

If you're going to remove the final drive, lube the shafts and check the brake for the first time give yourself about 4hours.
This will be slow easy pace, and take pictures as you remove parts.
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 135,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

User avatar
heindlengineeringural
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:00 am
Location: Eaton, OH
Contact:

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by heindlengineeringural » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 am

We always check to make sure that the bolt on drive spline hub on the wheel is tight and all of the bolts are present. They may loosen over time. We have seen some of the earlier ones with broken bolts as well. From looking at the bolt with the wheel in the bike it will appear that it is good, but they can actually be broken and still have the heads in place.
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Ural Dealer in Southwest Ohio
(937) 787-3686
www.heindlengineering.com
sales@heindlengineering.com

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:33 am

heindlengineeringural wrote:We always check to make sure that the bolt on drive spline hub on the wheel is tight and all of the bolts are present. They may loosen over time. We have seen some of the earlier ones with broken bolts as well. From looking at the bolt with the wheel in the bike it will appear that it is good, but they can actually be broken and still have the heads in place.
are those the 4-17mm nuts or the 6 Allen head screws/bolts? :?
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:43 am

windmill wrote:I'm going to depart company here, and not recommend straight moly paste, but rather a moly/grease mix or moly fortified grease. In practice it seems to work better with grease as it continues to refresh itself and protect from corrosion resulting in noticeably less wear.
The only hub I've worn out was when I was using straight moly paste.
could be right, low content moly grease is available at Walmart very inexpensive. hard to believe it wouldn't work as good as the special expensive moly past, but some seem to think its not as good ???? :? :cheers: sorry maybe no one will notice hope, i didn't open the oil thread can! :boogie:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
Birdy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: Springfield Oh

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by Birdy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 am

hotflash44 wrote:
windmill wrote:I'm going to depart company here, and not recommend straight moly paste, but rather a moly/grease mix or moly fortified grease. In practice it seems to work better with grease as it continues to refresh itself and protect from corrosion resulting in noticeably less wear.
The only hub I've worn out was when I was using straight moly paste.
could be right, low content moly grease is available at Walmart very inexpensive. hard to believe it wouldn't work as good as the special expensive moly past, but some seem to think its not as good ???? :? :cheers: sorry maybe no one will notice hope, i didn't open the oil thread can! :boogie:
Grease got, Moly grease I got...strait moly paste I no got. :mrgreen: Looks like it'll be moly grease I use.

And should I just upgrade the bolts?
2017 Ural Patrol
2012 Kawasaki Versys, Mini Me
2008 Royal Enfield...the money pit, undergoing restoration

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 am

Birdy wrote:
hotflash44 wrote:
windmill wrote:I'm going to depart company here, and not recommend straight moly paste, but rather a moly/grease mix or moly fortified grease. In practice it seems to work better with grease as it continues to refresh itself and protect from corrosion resulting in noticeably less wear.
The only hub I've worn out was when I was using straight moly paste.
could be right, low content moly grease is available at Walmart very inexpensive. hard to believe it wouldn't work as good as the special expensive moly past, but some seem to think its not as good ???? :? :cheers: sorry maybe no one will notice hope, i didn't open the oil thread can! :boogie:
Grease got, Moly grease I got...strait moly paste I no got. :mrgreen: Looks like it'll be moly grease I use.

And should I just upgrade the bolts?
i wouldn't up grade any bolts or nuts that appear good, the nyloc nuts can be reused several times before they loose the nylon insert. IMHO of course :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

User avatar
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 6397
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Location: Kent, Wa

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by windmill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:12 am

hotflash44 wrote: could be right, low content moly grease is available at Walmart very inexpensive. hard to believe it wouldn't work as good as the special expensive moly past, but some seem to think its not as good ???? :? :cheers: sorry maybe no one will notice hope, i didn't open the oil thread can! :boogie:
I don't have a technical explanation, both moly paste and grease work well for lubrication depending on application, but in my anecdotal observations in over 100,000 km is the combination works better than either alone.
If I were to speculate, the places where BMW and Honda spec it are protected from dirt and water unlike Urals wheel splines.

Unlike an oil thread, one doesn't need to choose one or the other, and can use both without diminishing the effectiveness of either. :)
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Posts: 3482
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Getting ready for a rear tire and a question

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 am

windmill wrote:
hotflash44 wrote: could be right, low content moly grease is available at Walmart very inexpensive. hard to believe it wouldn't work as good as the special expensive moly past, but some seem to think its not as good ???? :? :cheers: sorry maybe no one will notice hope, i didn't open the oil thread can! :boogie:
I don't have a technical explanation, both moly paste and grease work well for lubrication depending on application, but in my anecdotal observations in over 100,000 km is the combination works better than either alone.
If I were to speculate, the places where BMW and Honda spec it are protected from dirt and water unlike Urals wheel splines.

Unlike an oil thread, one doesn't need to choose one or the other, and can use both without diminishing the effectiveness of either. :)
for the purest at maintaining the Ural i would think if you grease the splines at each tire replacement you would be good even with basic grease. makes sense to me! :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Post Reply