OK so this sucks..................

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
maccaoz
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: OK so this sucks..................

Postby maccaoz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 am

Here in Oz we are seeing those fires on TV
The best of luck to all all involved in that hell on earth :(
The land down under gets more than its fair share of bush fires , we know just how horrible they can can be .

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:44 am

Excess water near your vacation getaway? Still see no reason not to get out and ride.

Pic: The wife and I are riding the blue one off the coast of Moorea 2016.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 am

Those are possibly the weirdest vehicles I've ever seen :o

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

mr. cob

Postby mr. cob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Howdy Bill,

We all have a cross to bear, buck up man, you can handle it. Of course if you need help send me a ticket and I'll make sure you have fresh ice when needed well that is if I am not distracted by the barely clad nymphs in the area.............. :wink:

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:Those are possibly the weirdest vehicles I've ever seen :o -

And they also appear to have cup holders. Hmmm....
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 pm

P1090842_zpskemqtsdj.JPG
Mr Wazzock wrote:Those are possibly the weirdest vehicles I've ever seen :o -

It is about the simplest, fail-safe "sub" you could build, perfect for only needing several minutes to explain to tourists.

Depth; those ropes going up tether the sub to a large balloon on the surface. Adjust the length of that rope to rise or go deeper. The sub simply doesn't weigh enough to pull that balloon under. Of course, the maximum depth is severely limited, and dragging a balloon on the surface does slow you down.

Air; scuba tank under the seat simply dumps a steady stream of air into the plastic bubble the operators peer out of. When full, the air bubbles out anywhere it wants around the bottom edge of the passenger bubble. Rise and the reduced water pressure allows more air to bubble out. Sink, and the increased water pressure will squeeze the air that is generally around shoulder level into a smaller space, however that steady stream of air soon has the air chamber filled again. There is simply not much to go wrong for air pressure regulation as long as you are close to upright. You don't have to breath any different than normal, the air stream is enough to replace what 2 people use up, with the old, and some of the new, bubbling away.

Power; a trolling motor on a steering wheel controlled pivot, with batteries under the air tank, so weight is down low. Some slight control of speed that was frankly barely crawling.

There were 2 divers guiding us on a course, tethering them together at points to gesture and point at certain places.

If you owned one, you would get board and yearn for the freedom of movement the divers have. To try as "something different" it was interesting, and if you read this far, you are already qualified to operate it. I posted about this long ago, questioning the lack of sidecars. Solo bikes only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Interesting, your own air bubble!
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Yeah we were snorkelling the reefs and saw a couple of those go by. Pretty crazy looking when you see it motoring through the water. Was interested in trying one out but they are pretty pricey. For all you guys on the east coast wearing your thermal underwear and powering up your electric socks..................... its 92 degrees here everyday, all day.

Bill and Lori

PS: at Dave. I would gladly pay for your ticket down here if the budget could afford it. Need somebody to keep me on the straight and narrow.

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:PS: at Dave. ........... Need somebody to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Yet somehow I was thinking Dave's guidance would lead you into more trouble. :decision:

Our first snow came a couple days ago for CT. This pic is a year old, but all the same gear and conditions apply. With that knee length full sheepskin lined coat I have never felt cold. I can sit out on my deck sipping a cold one (porter or stout, prefer my beer dark as a politician's soul) and even let the next couple sit out on the table and not worry at all about me getting cold, or my beer getting warm. No melted ice watering down my drinks, no umbrellas stabbing my eye. No need to suddenly hit the showers to get that suntan lotion off if the missis catches my eye. I would say no sand tracked in the house, but I did spread some on the driveway. In any case, you shouldn't worry too much about what you are missing while away, you can't have it all.

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Good one Shiftless. Still 92 degrees here. Boy this sucks......................I wish it would suck more harder. Working on my coconut cracking techniques.

Bill

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Gotta catch dinner. heard they taste like chicken

Nuttymopar
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nuttymopar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:06 am

Pic: The wife and I are riding the blue one off the coast of Moorea 2016.

I just would like to know.... Is the BLUE one really faster?

Enjoy... oh, it already looks like you are.
Scott
2013 Gear-Up, BLACK everything. 2-1 FMF, Kolpin muffs, Oxford heated grips.

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:50 am

Nuttymopar wrote:I just would like to know.... Is the BLUE one really faster?

These bikes were about tied for last place, I could probably hop on one foot faster than these things running flat out. Perhaps the blue was faster, however wisdom prevailed, and I did not race. With that yellow one in front I was just enjoying the scenery.

The highs around here are almost freezing toward early afternoons, so every 3 days it adds up to just as warm as Bill reports. Even while putting on all my riding gear in the house, I am already feeling just as overheated as that island, but then one step out the door, and that refreshing arctic vortex is there to greet you like an old friend.

Yesterday leaving work in the morning (bike out overnight, fairly common, covered only if actively snowing) it was 20F. Stalled a couple times, usually I am very fast to turn off the enrichners (2011 GearUp), but felt the need to give it a few more seconds to heat up before turning off the "choke". Cough, sputter a bit, and ride. A couple miles from home, stalled at a light, easily restarted. It felt rough, so kept the rpm's up for the last few lights. Let it cool for a while in the garage, pulled the plugs, and the sidecar side was really black, obviously fouled by that extra time on the enrichners. Carb cleaner and wire brush, followed by plastic brush, and reinstall. Fired right up, ran find on the way to work. Now my nemesis is the googles fogging. I coat them with a w@* that claims to stop fogging, and modified a pair to lift off the face a little for more ventilation (drilled a few holes, zip tied some 3/4" bits of 1/4" hose), so the googles stand off a bit. Better, but fogging still an issue, particularly at lights.

None of this was an issue on the blue bike. We didn't even wear googles. When snorkeling is expected, we bring our own to avoid the used by everyone, then rinsed off, provided to anyone snorkels found on tours. We have prescription dive googles (internet order with your prescription, they just install the closest lens in front of each eye, seems to work well). The camera for those pics was a bit over $200 in 2014, good to about 42 ft, and that's plenty for our use.

The difficulty with island hopping, is if you ask for a dark beer, they have Guinness. Only Guinness. It's like the Budweiser of dark beers. I like Guinness, and have a couple in the fridge at home right now, but I have a few other varieties in there too. :beerchug: Bill, admit it, you go asking for a few choices on a decent beer, and you realize people on small sunny islands develop the irrational belief that you should settle for beer you can see through. :shock: I give you a quest, find a beer you actually want to consume, or click your mugs together three times, and repeat "There's no place like home!" :cheers: Perhaps the trip was all just a nightmare, and when you wake up, you find your beer fridge has been full all along....

Bendog02760
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Bendog02760 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:40 am

By far this is my favorite pic I’ve seen on SS. Summer pics in beautiful scenery;inspiring , riding with dog; perfection, riding off-road in mud and water; challenging and tough, time with wife or family in sidecar; peaceful.....

Riding like this; pure hardcore. You sir are the reason the they need to print on a coffee cup, CAUTION, CONTENTS HOT!!! Something seriously wrong here, put me down as impressed!! :cheers: :bow: :thumbsup: :loco: :headbang:
Current Rides:
2012 GU (I bought in May 2017) All my GU rides are with my dog, Liberty
HD Road King
HD Wide Glide
Owned about 15 other HD over years
Boston Mass.

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 am

Old video from blizzard in Indianapolis; 2012. edit - not me...

Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”