Tragedy struck our Ural family today

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
sean0262
Party Member
Party Member

Tragedy struck our Ural family today

Postby sean0262 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:59 am

I'm so sad and devastated to report to our Ural community that today we lost one of our own in a tragic accident. Daniel Muhs (not sure what Daniels handle on SS is???) and his son, 10 year old Joey were heading back home to Illinois. Traveling with Holly my wife and I as far as Martinsville Indiana. were Holly and I would split off North and head for home. And Daniel and Joey would continue of for home. It happened around 3:45pm today shortly after we left Heindl Engineering's open house. Holly and I were there when it happened and we rendered medical assistance until EMTs arrived and took over. Daniel is in critical condition and undergoing surgery as I type this. Poor little Joey passed away on scene. Joey was such a sweet, happy little boy with an infectious smile. He was his Daddy's side-kick and so excited to be at the Ural gathering. He had just given Holly and I fist-bumps just before we pulled out of Heindl, such a happy boy! I stayed and sat with Joey, running my fingers through his short hair and speaking to him as if he was still with us, I just couldn't bear to leave him there alone by himself while Holly and the EMTs worked on Daniel. There are those things in life that just aren't fair. And it wasn't time for that little man to die. He had such a bright future. Holly and I will never forget Joey. He will always remain in our heart.
Now folks it's time for all of us to step up and help Daniel out. Daniel is severely injured and Joey was his and his wife's only child. I'm planning on going out to Heindl next week and see if we can come up with some sort of charity that can help Daniel and his wife with bills and everyday expenses. I want 100% of the proceeds to go to Daniel and his wife. I'm also going to post a cross at the crash site with a teddy bear for Joey.
Little Joey Muhs.jpg

Daniel and Joeys Ural SS.jpg

UPDATE: Aug 3rd 2016, Today I awaken from yet another heavy hearted wrestles sleep. Yesterday I cut and epoxy glued an oak cross that Holly and I along with several other riders are going to place at Joey's resting spot after the accident. Tomorrow I will cover it in gloss white paint and paint Joey's name on it in royal blue. I invite all who would like to attend. And if there are many. I will make arrangements for us all to meet up at Heindl's. So always check for updates or please, please, please send me a privet message.

My other drive is to remember Joey, Joey and Dan's last name is spelled Muhs. But it's pronounced Moose. And on the front right side panel of Joey's sidecar he was so proud to show Holly and I a large decal of a moose that he had placed there to signify their family name. So in honor of the memory of Joey, I want to start a "Moose-ment"(movement). To have all or friends, family, riders and ruffins as we are all, to place a Moose decal or stick on your rigs, motorcycles, cars, trucks, house, light post, sign/signpost and everything ells you can think of. In the memory of little Joey. When I ride cross country, I want to the "Moose-ment" for Joey.
]
Joey Moose02.jpg

UPDATE: AUG 5TH
There will be no ride and cross placing tomorrow. The local Sheriff has contacted me and shut me down for safty reasons, and I can understand his reasonings. I suspect on some warm summer night in the wee dark hours of the pre dawn light. Some magical little fairies dressed in riding gear and helmets will forcibly enter my residence. And Joey's cross shall be spirited away, then deposited along a lonely stretch of Ohio Route 725. So if you ever find yourself coming around a bend on such country road to the south, and you see a white cross with blue Engrossers Old English lettering; it just might be Joey's cross Adorn at the top with a blue moose.
Joey's Cross.jpg

UPDATE: AUG 6TH
Sadly last night as the little biker fairies gained entry into my residence. It's seems that one had fallen into despair. Heavy hearted and filled with sorrow from such a tragic event, could not continue on. So by mid morning some old Soldier who's fading away had mustered up the courage, commitment, and strength to wipe away the tears, and honor the memory of our fallen junior Uralist.
Joey's Cross02.jpg

Joey's Cross03.jpg[/attachment
[attachment=3]Joey's Cross01.jpg

With a little help from my Yamaha FJ-09 I was able to get there quickly and "get-er-done" I placed the cross a 39^37'56" N by 84^38'61" W. I place it about 22 inches from were Joey lay because I didn't want the mowing crews to hit the cross. So its along the tree line. Please take a trip and ride past. Give him a salute, a wave or just a silent prayer. But please don't stop to take a pic, or lay a gift of a stuffed moose, teddy bear or flowers because it is such a dangerous curve. We don't want any more trageties to our family.
I then went to see the Heindl's, Jon and Dave and just had to put all manliness aside and give them both big hugs of support. What great people they are. Damn, makes me want to move to OklaHio LoL (aka: Ohio) They normaly close at noon on Saturdays. But they stay open until 3:30pm. The same time Dan, Joey, Holly and I had left for home. I then continued on passing Joey's cross and rendering a big Army Ranger salute. I stopped in Camden to fuel up for the long ride ahead. And ran into another old Soldier who served with the 82nd ABN and served his community Sheriffs Deputy (Hey Tom). We swapped some old Army tails and I told him a little about Joey without letting him know it was me who was there during the accident or the one who set the cross. (I still had to get out of town without getting into to much trouble. wink, wink, shimmy, shimmy) I told him to spread the word. I hopped on the FJ-09 and headed along Ohio SR 725 W to Indiana SR 44 W to Indiana SR 67 S to Illinois SR 50W the same route Dan and Joey had planned to take home. Once I crossed into Illinois, I turned and headed for home wishing that Joey and Dan would have made it. But I promise you all (aka: Ya'll in Illinois slang) Sorry Danny boy Hee, Hee!!!! Both Dan and I will make this trip together when he recovers from his injuries. It may be on our other bikes until he can get a tan Ural CT and re-moose it. Dan has some odd names in his world, Woody Moose, Uxxxn Moose, and when I think of a tan CT, I think of Desert Moose. Humm now I'm picturing moose walking around the Iraqi Desert... Woww that's a weird thought.. but I wouldn't want to give up camel toe for moose knuckle. OHHHHHHHHH :shock: Sorry just trying to get Dan to chuckle.

Update: Aug 14th
For further updates, continue to the last page for more information. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sean0262 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Hey Folks, I'm looking for a solo Ural motorcycle. Any machine will do. from a Wolf, Solo or just a rig without it's sidecar. drop me a PM
Sean's R3W Steering Damper Kits for sale viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45227&p=563367#p563367
R3W Steering Damper Reviews http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=44242

Revtech100
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Tragety struck our Ural family today

Postby Revtech100 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:29 am

My heart goes out to the family. Keep us in the loop and we will make a contribution. God bless them and a special thanks to you for staying with Joey.
2003 HD Ultra Classic - Sold
1969 Honda Trail 90 - Sold
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black - gave away
2000 custom softball - gave away
2011 KLR 650 -Sold
2013 Ural Gear Up

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 am

That is terrible news. I am in for whatever it takes. Trying to make sense of the picture. Where is the sidecar? Was it a solo rig?

blissamerica
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby blissamerica » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:05 am

Awful. The bike is fitted with LL forks, so whatever happened, the chair was seperated from the tug...
Dave Neale

2006 Ural Patrol: Herzog gear tower, New crank, cam, bearings, rings and pistons, Mr. Cobs Clutch Disks, vented bell housing.
1980/83 Suzuki "Ratana LS": 1980 GS750L frame and swing-arm, lowered, 1983 GSX750S Katana drive train.
1973 Honda CL 350

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals Practice until they can't get it wrong.

And then there's IMZ-URAL...

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:20 am

Awful. Just awful.
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby dneprlover » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:22 am

Sean, that must have been extremely traumatic for you and Holly. Any biker down is sad, a child even more so .

I cannot say I know how you feel, but I do feel for you. My hopes are that Daniel recovers his physical injuries an both he and his wife manage to control the grief that the loss of a child brings.

A bad, bad day.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

greybear
Comrade
Comrade

Postby greybear » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:35 am

My wife and my prayers will go out to the family. Let us know when and where the fund is set up.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:33 am

My sincere condolences. I will forward this to JohnBG and we'll see what we can set up to help. :cry:
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:40 am

I can't believe I just sat down early on a Sunday morning for some coffee and on-line surfing and reading this. Terrible tragedy.
Whatever it takes or is needed. So sad.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

sean0262
Party Member
Party Member

Postby sean0262 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:17 am

I will get a photo of Daniel and Joey from Heindl and/or the guys from Good Spark Garage of a happy and smiling Daniel and Joey at the Heindl open house. So everyone can put faces to there names. When you see them happy and smiling, especially little Joey, it will bring tears to your eyes. Holly and I just can't fathom him gone. So young so sweet.
Hey Folks, I'm looking for a solo Ural motorcycle. Any machine will do. from a Wolf, Solo or just a rig without it's sidecar. drop me a PM
Sean's R3W Steering Damper Kits for sale viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45227&p=563367#p563367
R3W Steering Damper Reviews http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=44242

Lokiboy
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Lokiboy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:43 am

That is so sad.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
70,000 km and counting

rehab circus
Comrade
Comrade

Postby rehab circus » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:04 am

Heartbreaking. I briefly met Joey at the rally and thought he was wonderful kid. So outgoing and friendly. Dan's handle is Burt1713.
2011 Patrol "Yulia"

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:15 am

Truly a very sad day. A parent should never have to bury a child.

Rest In Peace, Joey.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Postby JohnBG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:18 am

Wow, that is terrible news. Our hearts go out to the family and I will keep them in my prayers. Please let us know when you have a charity fund set up so that we all can contribute via PayPal or some other online payment method.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Postby JohnBG » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:20 am

blissamerica wrote:Awful. The bike is fitted with LL forks, so whatever happened, the chair was seperated from the tug...

Hard to tell from the pictures but the sidecar struts were still attached to the bike. Something went very wrong... :o
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”