Pig goes for Her 1st ride

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Siggy
Comrade
Comrade

Pig goes for Her 1st ride

Postby Siggy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:11 pm

A little chilly but she was happy to go for a ride in the new rig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Pig goes for Her 1st ride

Postby Kilometers2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:02 pm

:clap: I love it
Miles aka Kilometers
2016 Woodland camouflage Gear Up
previous - 2014 Patrol + 2007 Gear Up

Ltrypsin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ltrypsin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:00 am

Looking good
2015 cT

Peter Pan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Peter Pan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:19 am

Nice door picture.

The door is a good idea.
I prefer to tie down the dogs from the chest towards the seat pad at the drivers side and as short as possible.
2 of my dogs got in trouble in bends respectively an emergency sway. Therefore I keep the leash short and avoid commercial hooks made out of Zamak....mine are now made out of galvanized steel and with a threaded closure.

You will see how much a dog can teach you the rider!
After a short time you too will know why dogs need to stick their snout into the wind...
Specially Camilla (rip) the Pincher bread and surfer dog taught me well.
Sven
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 37.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:32 am

Really needs a black circle around one eye for that "Little Rascals" look.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:54 am

Ahh, what a cutie and happy pup. It's General Pattons dog, right? William The Conquerer (Willy).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5x7-World-W ... 5731.m3795
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:53 am

Looking good! Love the customized door.

Rex specs or doggles an option for fido.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/200691727117925707/ link I found over the weekend that leads to lots of dog in sidecar options for scarves, helmets, and many other wallet emptying temptations.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:53 am

When I first saw the subject line, I was pretty sure we would read about you in the obits tomorrow. But I see now you are talking about the dog.

Here's a tip on how to keep the pooch comfy and yet safe. I see you are using a harness and a tether that is tied to the rear. The harness is good, but the tether will not stop the dog from going over the back of the bike.

My buddy has a big dog that rides in his /2 rig and his system seems to be the best I've ever seen. He removed the rear seat and had a canvas cusion made that pretty much covers the entire floor up to the pivot tunnel. It is like a rectangular donut in that it has a hole in the middle that allows a strong tether to come up from the floor. That tether is anchored to the floor and attaches to a harness at a point under the dog. So this way the dog can stand or sit or even lay down and the tether is still short enough to prevent the dog from exiting the car in any direction.

We all think we know our dogs, but we really don't. The right situation may have that dog leaping out of the car at speed or even leaping at someone approaching the rig. I thought his design was the best I'd seen and I share it with anyone that has a dog in their hack.
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Siggy
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Siggy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Thanks for all the comments!! Rex Spex on order (they are back ordered) I have to play with the tie down points, 2 different Bull Terriers, Pig, the pictured is a small 13 yr that will just ride around the neighborhood, the male, Bob, is a full size, 60lb bully and will need a different set up and he would be more prone to jump out. Pig just digs the breeze. I set up a D ring under the seat, threaded it up behind the seat, got to get another strap for the front but she has to sit on seat as she is small. Bob will need the seat removed and I like your idea Snakeoil of a center teather.
Side note, you can tell someones age by what they remember the Bull Terriers by. Us older folks think G.S . Patton, or Black Sheep Squadron (TV Series) a little younger, Spuds, younger still Chico from Movie "Next Friday" As if the Ural does not get enough looks, throw a Bull Terrier in there and the stare ratio goes way up LOL! Thanks again guys!

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”