WNC2ENC

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

WNC2ENC

Postby Blue Ridge Wheeltor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:34 pm

I love Western North Carolina.
I live in Hendersonville and I really like it here. It is a lot like Asheville, but without the hippies and liberals.
In 35 minutes I can go north and be in Asheville. In 25 minutes I can be in South Carolina. Charlotte is 2 hours to the east of me. Knoxville, Tn is 2 hours to the west. 3 to 4 hours to the southwest is Atlanta. 49 miles N to the Tennessee state line.
I can fire a gun in my backyard. I have had bears walk though my backyard. But I am only 14 miles to a 24 hour Wal Mart.
The riding here is to die for. The Blue Ridge Parkway is 14 miles away. I am 4 miles to Dupont State Forest and all its' waterfalls (Hunger Games was filmed there), about 15 miles to Lake Lure (scene of dirty dancing) and maybe a few miles less to Chimney Rock (Last of the Mohicans). Pretty areas.
Regretfully, the wife wants to move. She has a job offer that is too good to pass up. She is out there now, while I stay here and get the house ready to sell. :(

So what is eastern NC like? I have only been there once and traveled through some ghetto called Elizabeth city, and some awful empty swamp.

Will I be bitten by huge rattle snakes and ornery copperheads?
Will I be devoured by alligators and sharks?
Will I be bored to death by the curveless roads?
Will I be weakened by the excessive humidity?
Will I be mugged by the inner city youts?

I know there are some sketchy characters a little southwest of there. One guy has a flat black patrol. I think he says it is a Raisin.

Anyways, what is riding like there?
95% of all Urals built in the last ten years are still on the road....The other 5% made it home.

Squire230
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: WNC2ENC

Postby Squire230 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:21 pm

Dude,

That sucks.

Don't move.
Al

URAL Gear-Up 2010 w/
K37 tires
Fog lights
Raceway Left High 2-1 exhaust
Smitty Built baskets for fuel & boxes

sallen

Postby sallen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Where in eastern NC are you headed?
Moved to and have lived in the Wilmington area for the last 40 years,
the summers are warm and the winters are not as cold.
19?? Dnepr MT16
2008 Gear Up / Orange camo

A statement I live by.

Panic is a luxury you can afford after it is all over.

rougaroo

Postby rougaroo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:01 pm

It is very flat.
They make their barbecue with that silly vinegar and pepper sauce.
The mosquitos can be fearsome.
Troll lives there.
They do have the beach and shag music..

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:05 pm

You may just have to get a boat.....one of the best ways to enjoy Eastern North Carolina is from the sea. At least that was my experience living there for nine years

+1 what Rougaroo said...but Moorehead City has some of the best seafood you will find anywhere. Plus, the Outter Banks are close by, but still a long ways drive by car or rig if you go up by Nags Head. Hopping a ferry isn't fast but you can move around some......
Miles aka Kilometers
2016 Woodland camouflage Gear Up
previous - 2014 Patrol + 2007 Gear Up

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:59 am

I lived there for a while in the early 80's, then only a half dozen years ago my uncle admitted that the water was contaminated, and the place was a hot spot for exotic cancers for anyone stationed there, and their families. Pawn shops, strip clubs, and dive bars come to mind. On base, Onslow Beach wasn't inherently bad, but rather pointless when 95% of the guests were guys. The long straight divided highway from the main gate at Camp Lejeune to the first cluster of buildings always had the highest concentration of broken down cars on the side of the road I have seen anywhere. It was not really run down or terrible, most places seemed to need a little work, and nothing at all proclaimed upscale. Perhaps the years have been kind to the area, but I was not really impressed with the entertainment it offered.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

rougaroo

Postby rougaroo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:15 am

In seriousness, it all depends on what part of Eastern NC you're talking about. The Wilmington area is pretty, Wrightsville Beach and other islands are close, the inter-coastal waterway runs all the way to Florida and Maine right there so it is like I-95 for boats. Go north from there and Shiftless is right - the Camp Lejeune area doesn't have a lot for civilians.

The middle section - New Bern/Morehead City/Emerald Isle/Beaufort - has a lot to offer. It is like NC's Chesapeake Bay. Lots of sailing, fishing, boating of all sorts.

North of there to the VA border is the poorest section of NC. There are some very pretty old towns, but the economy over the last 60 years basically just left it behind. Huge vacation area around Duck and Corolla on the outer banks up there that attracts people from DC and PA.

Rougaroo

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:48 am

Big change! Hope you enjoy fishing and golf.
I enjoy eastern NC, good riding and some nice places to visit. Lots of nature and wildlife preserves - I avoid the beaches because of the crowds. If the only thing you saw of Elizabeth City was the highway through town you missed it. Nice waterfront area, decent older section of downtown. Lots of flat water for fishing and paddling. Quite a few small communities near the water along the sounds. The so called inner banks of NC. Good pace of life.
Most of eastern NC is farming and fishing, lots of sand and shallow water, and bugs - lots and lots of bugs, especially the kind that bite you. Lots of deer and bear also. An amazing number of small golf course communities.
Lots of small older towns that time by-passed, small fishing ports and farm communities.The small towns are just like any other but a lot flatter - average elevation is 8 ft. Too close to the coast and you have the beach disaster - rental cottages, yankees out the wazoo, and t-shirt shops. It gets hot in eastern NC, and rains a lot also but since its all sand it drains fast, unless its a hurricane or nor'easter which lingers for days.
You can find good places to live everywhere if you look around. You won't find many liberal communities in eastern NC but you will find an abundance of solid, steady people who enjoy a quiet pace of life. No ties allowed.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Postby Blue Ridge Wheeltor » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Golf? Last time I played I shot a 71. Then it was too dark to move on to the second hole. Time before that the ball kept getting caught in the windmill. No, I don't like golf.
She is settled in a condo at Kill Devil Hills. I will follow as soon as the house sells.
95% of all Urals built in the last ten years are still on the road....The other 5% made it home.

WEGUNTER
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby WEGUNTER » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:53 pm

The outerbanks are pretty nice. Not a whole lot of riding places though. One road in and one road out. In the summer it is wall to wall traffic.

rougaroo

Postby rougaroo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:09 pm

A long, long time ago I went with some friends to Kill Devil Hills in December. It is deserted that time of year and you can rent places very cheaply, build fires on the beach, stuff like that. After we got settled in we went to the store. It was around 7 at night and nobody was around. In came three couples in dress clothes- ladies in cocktail dresses and heels, guys in tuxedos. Not talking teenagers for the prom, now, but folks in n their fifties and sixties.

We asked what was going on and they said it was the annual meeting of the "Man Will Never Fly Society." Apparently aviation fans from all over the country fly their private planes in for this big party on Dec 16th. They drink champagne and talk about how man will never fly, the impossibility of it all, how the physics will never work, etc. The next day, Dec 17th, is the day the Wright brothers flew at Kill Devil Hills. On Dec 17th everybody shows up in casual clothes and they have the annual meeting of the "Man Has Flown Society". They bring in speakers from places like NASA and Boeing and talk about all the new possibilities and technologies of flight.

They invited us in for a drink. Very interesting bunch of folks. Have no idea whether that still goes on.

Rougaroo

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm

I lived in Eastern NC from 1999-2003 at Swamp Lejeune. Sand fleas and mosquitoes will about kill you, so always bring OFF or some other bug spray. Always have sun screen and an umbrella on hand. You'll likely need to use both on the same day. As far as roads go... It's flat as pi$$ in a pan but not as bad as the Gulf Coast. Head just a little in from the coast and the roads get better. You'll be closer to nice roads anywhere in NC than someone in, say Houston, TX. You're not too far from Daytona for a weekend trip, nor Road Atlanta and VIR, if you like motorcycle racing. And the outer banks are pretty, if not exactly great twisties for a sport bike. Probably perfect for a trip on a Ural though.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Postby 4Paws » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Well, Kill Devil Hills is smack dab in the middle of the tourist belt. Sound side there are some pleasant areas to live but May until the second frost it's tourist season. Other side of the bridge there is some quiet riding and sightseeing.
You can decide to hate it or decide to enjoy it. Open up an Outer Banks sidecar sightseeing adventure. Lighthouses, wild horses, Wright Brothers Memorial, throw in a couple of wineries (home of the Mother Vine) and the only wind powered craft brewery.
Like fishing?
Maybe the house won't sell.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

Squire230
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Squire230 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:45 am

Dude,

Like I said, that sucks!

Don't sell the house in mountains.
Al

URAL Gear-Up 2010 w/
K37 tires
Fog lights