I love Western North Carolina.
I live in Hendersonville and I really like it here. It is a lot like Asheville, but without the hippies and liberals.
In 35 minutes I can go north and be in Asheville. In 25 minutes I can be in South Carolina. Charlotte is 2 hours to the east of me. Knoxville, Tn is 2 hours to the west. 3 to 4 hours to the southwest is Atlanta. 49 miles N to the Tennessee state line.
I can fire a gun in my backyard. I have had bears walk though my backyard. But I am only 14 miles to a 24 hour Wal Mart.
The riding here is to die for. The Blue Ridge Parkway is 14 miles away. I am 4 miles to Dupont State Forest and all its' waterfalls (Hunger Games was filmed there), about 15 miles to Lake Lure (scene of dirty dancing) and maybe a few miles less to Chimney Rock (Last of the Mohicans). Pretty areas.
Regretfully, the wife wants to move. She has a job offer that is too good to pass up. She is out there now, while I stay here and get the house ready to sell.
So what is eastern NC like? I have only been there once and traveled through some ghetto called Elizabeth city, and some awful empty swamp.
Will I be bitten by huge rattle snakes and ornery copperheads?
Will I be devoured by alligators and sharks?
Will I be bored to death by the curveless roads?
Will I be weakened by the excessive humidity?
Will I be mugged by the inner city youts?
I know there are some sketchy characters a little southwest of there. One guy has a flat black patrol. I think he says it is a Raisin.
Anyways, what is riding like there?
95% of all Urals built in the last ten years are still on the road....The other 5% made it home.