Flying the Chair

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Vermeer
Comrade
Comrade

Flying the Chair

Postby Vermeer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:27 pm

I have had my Retro for a little over 2 months. I have put about 500 miles on it so far, pretty good considering it is still winter in Colorado. So getting the chair up in the air has been on my mind for a while, but I just didn't have the nerve, it just seemed too radical. I did it on accident a couple of times on some hard rights, completely unintentional. It was weird!

Well today I had some time, it was a nice day and I set out to find a parking lot and (maybe) try to get it up and inch or two. I am not kidding when I say, it took less than 15 minutes until I was completely comfortable flying that sucker!

Initially I set an oval course about 30 yards with right hand turns. I quickly got to the point that I could hold it in the air through the turns. Then I tried to hold it in the straights for as long as I could. 5 yards, then 10 yards, then 15 yards, then all the way to the end of the parking lot (about 60 yards).

Once I figured out the weight distribution and throttle and brake control, I could literally ride it for as long as I wanted to. Then I figured out how to pull it up going in a straight line. Holy crap man, this is awesome!!! In less than 2 hours I have total confidence initiating this super cool maneuver. While I am no pro yet, I have a completely new look on right handed turns and how to control them.

The funny part is the expressions on peoples faces passing by, it freaks them the hell out! It is like they are about to see a train wreck unfold in front of them. Oh how fun this Ural sidecar stuff is. I am having an absolute blast, it's like taking your first jump on my Stingray bicycle when you were 10 years old. 44 years later, I still got it in the blood :clap:
2005 Ural Retro - "Natasha"
2016 Ural cT - "Anastasia"
2016 Ural cT - "Nadia"
2006 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe - "Pearl"

"The function of a man is to live, not exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them, I shall use my time" - Jack London (via Ken "The Snake" Stabler)

tourist
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Flying the Chair

Postby tourist » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:37 pm

:cheers: enjoy
96 ural tourist red peril re homed
07 tourist LX (yet un named) bride's ride now named Blue Rondo
R12rt
I think 3 wheels is too much fun

223sniper
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 223sniper » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:41 pm

We have a few roundabouts in my area. When I am in a good mood I can't help but fly the chair. So far I have not caught anyone looking but, that's not the reason I do It so maybe I'm just not looking. It's just fun.
An armed society is a polite society.
2011 Gear Up
2007 Wolf

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Yep...that's the fun part....but be careful in traffic and always try to read the slope of the road. Making a 90 degree right hand turn, from a level road, onto a road going uphill, with a car parked at the bottom waiting to turn left, can get real exciting when the sidecar comes up quickly. Not that I would know anything about that, having flown the chair countless times and made circles around buildings the size of a super Wal-Mart with the chair never touching down....but if I HAD known something about that, I would have gone back about 30 times practicing that particular turn till I made it up the hill and across the parking lot with the chair still up in the air.....just saying.....it was just a little daydream on a sunny day
Miles aka Kilometers

On a hiatus to try out hacking my Harley after owning and loving a 2007 Gear Up, 2014 Patrol, and a 2016 Gear Up. If a Harley/Hannigan rig doesn't make me feel like my Urals did I will be in the market for a black with white pin stripes Retro.

alienbogey
Comrade
Comrade

Postby alienbogey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:41 am

I scrape the exhaust pipe when flying the chair on my Retro. Do you?
2007 Sportster 1200C
2015 Retro

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby stagewex » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:40 am

If you get addicted to flying the chair make more than often good inspections of your wheels and spokes. They will only take so much before needing an adjustment and they are not exactly NASA rated.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

jeffsaline
Comrade
Comrade

Postby jeffsaline » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Anyone have facts about engine lubrication or lack of it when flying the chair for extended distances? I'm curious if the engine gets oil starved flying the chair for 300 yards or more. Or maybe less???

Thanks and best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2008 White Patrol
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

BillyG
Thread Killer
Thread Killer

Postby BillyG » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:56 pm

No ill effects. You can go for miles and miles. Stop worrying and go fly your hack.
Bill Glaser
2002 Ural Patrol "CYKA"
300,000 km's since May 1st 2002
The "Unofficial Ural Service Manual" can be viewed at: http://www.myural.com

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Looking to break the record, are ya?

Anyone know what the record is? Sounds like a great Rally vs. Rally Challenge.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

bluesman
Comrade
Comrade

Postby bluesman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:25 pm

alienbogey wrote:I scrape the exhaust pipe when flying the chair on my Retro. Do you?

I am a chair flying noobie, but my 2015 retro does not scrape the pipes even when flying the chair way high.
2015 Gloss Black Retro Classic
2007 Harley FLSTC, Springer Classic
1942 Harley WLA

jeffsaline
Comrade
Comrade

Postby jeffsaline » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 pm

BillyG wrote:No ill effects. You can go for miles and miles. Stop worrying and go fly your hack.

BillyG,

Thanks for the reply. Makes me feel much better knowing it should be fine. I know of a couple of guys that have burned up engines in other brand bikes doing extended wheelies.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2008 White Patrol
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

chocolatehauler
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby chocolatehauler » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 pm

I do it almost every time I ride. Ok scratch the almost. But I pick when and where carefully. You don't want to scare someone and cause an accident. Or worse yet get over confident and end up somewhere you don't want to be. Just saying, be careful and have fun.
Green 06 patrol - Grandpa's Toy
Chocolatehauler

Nimbus4
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Nimbus4 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:54 am

I went to Fleet Farm one morning, got there before they opened. I went around the parking lot, loopdy looped around light poles and did figure 8's around shopping carts. That was fun!! Kept the chair in the air for about 5 minutes, did some low speed maneuvers and even got so I could run up 1st - 3rd gear.....Good times under 10 mph, big difference in the adrenaline at 100 mph plus or getting airborne. Safer, which is good now that I am getting older.
Nimbus4
2013 Gear Up
2005 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)

ASE Certified, CASI Certified Lubrication Tech

"A short cut is often the fastest way to somewhere you were not heading."

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:58 am

BillyG wrote:No ill effects. You can go for miles and miles. Stop worrying and go fly your hack.

Yes there is ill effects.
wife monkey will punch you hard.

BillyG
Thread Killer
Thread Killer

Postby BillyG » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Too busy screaming to punch ;-)
Bill Glaser
2002 Ural Patrol "CYKA"
300,000 km's since May 1st 2002
The "Unofficial Ural Service Manual" can be viewed at: http://www.myural.com