Royal Enfield..what's going on?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
mcj115
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Royal Enfield..what's going on?

Postby mcj115 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:16 pm

As spring starts to hit, I like to dream about new toys (bikes). My mind wondered over to the other modern classic brand is the US, Royal Enfield. From what I gather RE is a lot larger of a global company, as compared to IMZ Ural. There is something nice about a small supportive community like Ural.

Now back to the topic...when I look at the RE website it lists the models but it doesn't clearly list prices or dealers. From some initial research from sources other than RE itself, it looks like RE is revamping their dealers/supply network. It would be nice to know what they cost or know where I can go to look at one, however it isn't clear.

Does anyone know what is going on with RE in the US? When they will have any clear announcements on price or distribution method?
1999 Patrol 17km and counting! (October 2013) Now 2450 km and couting-June 2014.

LRP
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: Royal Enfield..what's going on?

Postby LRP » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Enfield has ended U.S. dealer agreements and will be establishing new dealerships. Whether the dealerships will be factory or private, I don't
know. In our central Florida area, it is rumored there will be an Enfield dealer next to a new Ace Cafe in the greater Orlando area.
Army Bird Dog Pilot, Nam.
'08 Green Patrol "Green Hornet"
130/42 jets. JC Whitney mufflers with 4" added baffles=5mph+

19 previous motos

rivers

Postby rivers » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Don't know the full scoop, but appears India Enfield is cutting the US importer (Classic Motorworks) out of the loop. No idea what that grand plan involves but suspect it's a paperwork intensive prospect. With the future of Enfield in the US in limbo, I feel sorry for the current US dealers. Wonderful standard motorcycles, hope we don't lose them.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Heindl lists the prices on their site, http://www.heindlengineering.com/RE/re_models.htm. There are links to dealers on the RE USA site but it convoluted.
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Postby MartyL » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm

Contact Holopaw Gene in Florida if you want a Royal Enfield. He has some in stock. He may still have one of the red cafe racer style Enfields. I believe the cafe racer model is 553cc.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:16 pm

Royal Enfield North America was set up to increase U.S. market share and hired a senior exec away from Harley to do it. Rumors are rampant and include RENA wanting to have large Harley styled showrooms....but I personally don't think the brand will sell in quantites to keep a dealership like that open. The U.S. Is only like 1% of the RE global market. I traveled to Ohio last year to get 2015 C5 from Heindl - great folks and no regrets. Everyone is having to negotiate their dealership status with RENA though and like Urals, you have to want to work on them. Being a large single cylinder, things vibrate off and locktite is your friend. I am still breaking the bike in (RE forums recommend 3 oil changes first 1000 miles and STRICT adherence to the break in procedures and ridng speeds until broken in). I like the C5, but LOVE my Ural. There are others on this forum with way more RE saddle time than me.....They can add more as I am still a newb with RE. Fun bikes. If you post a "parts" question on RENAs website RENA is still forwarding the questions to Classic Motorworks asof last month. Classic Motorworks forum for RE is the "Soviet Steeds" of the Royal Enfield community and a great source of information.
Miles aka Kilometers

On a hiatus to try out hacking my Harley after owning and loving a 2007 Gear Up, 2014 Patrol, and a 2016 Gear Up. If a Harley/Hannigan rig doesn't make me feel like my Urals did I will be in the market for a black with white pin stripes Retro.

LRP

Postby LRP » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:10 pm

Of interest is the fact that Enfield sold more motorcycles worldwide than Harley did last year. The largest motorcycle manufacturer in the
world is Hero of India. They have more sales and dealers than any other. They don't do business in the U.S. (yet).

The U.S. is now a small market. Less than 10% of Honda's motorcycle sales are in the U.S.

19 previous motos

roger99a
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby roger99a » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Kind of reminds me of when IMWA put CMSI out.
Roger

2007 Patrol, the 'trol
Central Coast California, sometimes Arkansas.

mcj115
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mcj115 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:04 pm

LRP wrote:. The largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world is Hero of India. .

I was under the impression Hero made SE bikes as a contractor for some of the other Asian brands.
1999 Patrol 17km and counting! (October 2013) Now 2450 km and couting-June 2014.

LRP

Postby LRP » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Hero Motocorp was affiliated with Honda until 2010. Under the agreement with Honda, they couldn't market beyond India. Now they are
exporting. http://www.heromotocorp.com/en-in/

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/inde ... y/id/26026

19 previous motos

Charro
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Charro » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:26 am

Kilometers2 wrote:Royal Enfield North America was set up to increase U.S. market share and hired a senior exec away from Harley to do it. Rumors are rampant and include RENA wanting to have large Harley styled showrooms....but I personally don't think the brand will sell in quantites to keep a dealership like that open. The U.S. Is only like 1% of the RE global market. I traveled to Ohio last year to get 2015 C5 from Heindl - great folks and no regrets. Everyone is having to negotiate their dealership status with RENA though and like Urals, you have to want to work on them. Being a large single cylinder, things vibrate off and locktite is your friend. I am still breaking the bike in (RE forums recommend 3 oil changes first 1000 miles and STRICT adherence to the break in procedures and ridng speeds until broken in). I like the C5, but LOVE my Ural. There are others on this forum with way more RE saddle time than me.....They can add more as I am still a newb with RE. Fun bikes. If you post a "parts" question on RENAs website RENA is still forwarding the questions to Classic Motorworks asof last month. Classic Motorworks forum for RE is the "Soviet Steeds" of the Royal Enfield community and a great source of information.

I'm another RE lover, own a C5 and have owned 2 others in the past. I totally agree with you! Good luck with that RENA, but your plan is bad for the small dealers. My local dealer has already dropped the brand, shame because he was good and cared about RE. He just couldn't afford RENA demands.

Andy
2012 Ural Gear Up
2004 Triumph Speed 4
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Daytona
1997 Triumph Speed Triple
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride, and I'll tell you what kind of rider you are. (Old Mexican proverb)

Peter Pan

Postby Peter Pan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:32 pm

I just got "A" rumour note out of first hand...regarding Centralamerica.
My son has to open his eyes in the next few weeks...
...for some red chrome tank...
No idea if only US, but Germany has now quite a few Royal Enfield shops all over the land where once upon the time were 2 for the whole country.
The Indians/Hindus are coming...hopefully they will not damage the existing network, which could cause a lot of not necessary resentments.

"Kommt Zeit kommt Rad!"
Sophie Travelair
Patrol 2013 with quite a few add-ons from Jim Petitti.(RIP)
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon - Alaska - Oregon, Engine broke free at 21.000km now in CR 37.000km and counting.
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain. The air box looks then like an aquarium. :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates)

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

dogboy443
Party Member
Party Member

Postby dogboy443 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 pm

You could contact Mark at Mark's Motorsports in Enfield, CT. He's up on the new deal and will be a licensed RE dealership as well as a Triumph dealership.
2006 Ural Tourist, The Flying Pickle!

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:48 pm

My friend was a dealer. He was a vintage Brit bike shop and thought RE would enhance is market. New bikes mean more service. He has no love for the US distributor. They would pull all kinds of crapola on him. He wanted the new models and they said only the older models were available. He really tried to make a go of it. He gave up. They acted like they were surprised. I suspect that the Mothership got a lot of complaints from dealers about the distributor. That may not have been the primary reason, but I'm sure was part of the reason they pulled the business from them.

When Berliner stopped importing Guzzis and a new distributor took over, cannot remember who. They pulled similar stuff. Told another friend who was a long time Guzzi dealer that he had to be a complete set of tool, X number of dollars in spares for all models and had to take 26 mopeds that they were also a distributor for. He told them he already had the tools. Did not care, still had to buy a new set. He told he could not sell mopeds. They said he had to take them. He said he did not have to do anything and told them to get out and stuff their motorcylcles where the sun does not shine. About 6 months went by and the rep called him and said he did not have to buy the tools and only had to take a couple of mopeds. My friend told him he had given him is final answer the last time they spoke. He was thru with Guzzi.

Rob
Regards,
Rob
2000 Ural Tourist
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

DanKearney

Postby DanKearney » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:02 pm

From everything I read on the Classic Motorworks Royal Enfield forum posted by Kevin Mahoney (The Erstwhile Royal Enfield U.S. distributor) he and RE parted on good terms. Maybe its just a public face, or fact. I don't know.

From what I've read RENA (Royal Enfield North America - The wholly owned subsidiary of the parent company in India) intends to expand in the U.S. market in a big way and has designs to open modern, single brand dealerships in the U.S.. BMW did the same thing years ago and forced out all the Mom and Pop shops.

I don't think it bodes well for us current owners during the transition time.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Last edited by DanKearney on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”