Anyone ever visited Seoul?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Anyone ever visited Seoul?

Postby shiftless » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:15 am

Might be in the neighborhood in early May. Picking destinations to add to a tour of Japan and found Tokyo to Hong Kong flights for barely over $120, and many return flights to the US changed planes in Seoul (or Shanghai or Beijing). Have thought about extending the stop for perhaps 3 days, don't really know much about the country besides it being a prime source of K-Pop girls and the home of the 4077th. I have read that North Korea was actually trying to bring in foreign currency by marketing some restaurants specializing in local specialties, and the rest of the word speculating on offerings of grass clippings and bark mulch.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

dranders
Party Member
Party Member

Postby dranders » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:32 pm

The people are great, the food is excellent, the beer is good, and the traffic is nasty. If you buy stuff that needs to be shipped home, even the smallest stores can arrange reasonable shipping.

Overall, I think the Koreans have really got it together. They rebuilt the country alter two very destructive wars and are now an economic powerhouse.

Their neighbors to the north? Crazy people with bad haircuts.
2010 Gear Up "Capitalist Tool"
Salinas, CA

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:11 pm

Will arrive in Seoul in the morning on May 3, leaving early May 5, so not a lot of time to look around. They do have a non-stop from ICN all the way to JFK in 14 hours, something not easy to find in nearby countries, making this a nice final stop in the region. We plan to devote more time in the area on some later trip during a cooler part of the year. So far have only booked the incoming and outgoing flights, with where to stay and what to do to be determined later. We typically read a few tourist blogs for hints, and listen to some local sources including where we stay, and almost always ended up finding much more to see than time allows.
Still like Charlie Chaplin's 1940 talkie "The Great Dictator"; had to abandon it as the inspiration for the theme of my Ural's paint scheme. People can't seem to tell satire from support. Too much public education.

2011 Gear Up from V.T. CYCLES, Pwr Arc Ignition, sprayed USMC 383 Green w/blacked engine/exhaust

billfrombyron

Postby billfrombyron » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:36 am

Go to see Seoul tower, South gate, Korean war museam and the SK river.

Check out the electronics market for some mind blowing shopping and look for a place called beef and beer in youngsan, 2 blocks west of the youngsan subway station.

Use the subway it's very easy and you can get almost anywhere using it, just buy the card and charge it.

For a good night partying check out a club called Skunk Hell, which is a punk and metal bar.

Also check out Lotte world, which is an indoor and outdoor amusement park.

Do try the Korean BBQ that is all over the place and the street food.

For the in experienced bugogi(beef), yaki man do ( fried dumplings), jae Bo Kim (spicy pork) and bi bim bap (veggie bowl) are must tries.

Cabs are expensive and VERY scary. It's a must try, but afterwards stick to the subway.

-Byron
I am lost, I have gone to try to find my self...
If I should return before I get back please ask me to wait.

lochinvar
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby lochinvar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:41 am

I go to Seoul 2-3 times a year and have regularly since 2007. They have a shopping district in Itaewon (part of Seoul), which also has about every type of food you can think of. When I visit (on business), I usually go to Itaewon and go to an Irish Pub there and have a Guinness or 2 with some Irish food. It's just a thing I do. They also have a Pub called "Prost" and all the waiters/waitresses wear Kilts. It's sorta cool. All this to say you can get any type of food there.

The Taxi's are very reliable and cheap, unless you try to take a taxi from the airport - then they will be $100. Don't do it. Once you get to town, then use taxi's.

The Incheon International airport is beautiful. But it is a bit away from the the city center. Takes about an hour to get to center of Seoul.
I would suggest you pick out a hotel (I stay at the Grand Ambassador), that way you can get an "Executive Shuttle Bus" about $16 ea person and they take you to the hotel.

The Subway/Train system there is top notch. Imagine my surprise returning to Seoul from going there in 1977 as a young Sailor, now seeing the subway system having up to 6 levels underground with under ground shopping and Malls! I ride the subway/trains all the time when there. It is my way to get around, even though I have an International Driver's license and drive in most other countries that I visit. Not Seoul, thank you. It's the amount of TRAFFIC there, not necessarily the drivers, although all the little delivery scooters shooting across intersections and driving up on the sidewalks is unnerving.

I would strongly suggest you don't drive yourself. Again the taxi's are really good around the city. Money is simple: $1 = 1000wan. The prices are about par. In the shopping district, the price of a beer (Cass is their local beer) is about 2000 wan at a local hangout.

I travel up to the DMZ when I am there and train and help our soldiers who are stationed over there. Koreans like the US and usually the young people will talk to you.

They also have a "bullet train" that travels from Seoul to Busan/Pusan coastal area. That train hits 200mph on regular tracks and is relatively cheap to travel on considering the distance. It is very developed on the coast and frankly very expensive. If you go there, have a place/itinerary in mind.

There is simply too much to tell you so PM me if you want more info.

-Shawn
2015 Russian Camo Gear Up
2011 Nato Camo Gear Up (Traded in on the 2015)
1968 Honda K0 CT90, 1969 Honda K1 CT90, 1971 K3 CT90
Used to have:
A great many rice-burning street bikes of old and many great Enduro bikes raced actively in the golden age of bikes.

alienbogey
Comrade
Comrade

Postby alienbogey » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:35 pm

When I was there a few times in the mid 90's you could get very good deals on athletic shoes, any kind of nylon/cordura type sewn product (think backpacks, gun cases, travel bags, etc) and semi-custom to custom leather stuff (shoes, boots, purses, jackets, chaps, etc).

Assuming that's still the case, and if you have the time when there, I would consider bringing pictures and dimensions something like, say, custom leather or cordura Ural saddlebags.

When I was there (keep in mind 20 years ago), for example, the leather shops would tell me that after taking measurements for a custom pair of cowboy boots they would be ready the next day. I bought one pair as a test and they came as ordered and fitted well.
2007 Sportster 1200C
2015 Retro

shiftless
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby shiftless » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:44 pm

starting to think North Korea might be more of an adventure

particularly if they found out about my former employer

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-sente ... 8357.html#

Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Blue Ridge Wheeltor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:35 pm

Make sure you listen to some seoul music
95% of all Urals built in the last ten years are still on the road....The other 5% made it home.

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”