Fiery Ural Sidecar Crash video

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Red Dwarf
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Fiery Ural Sidecar Crash video

Postby Red Dwarf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:48 pm

GHGoodwin wrote:Carbon tetrachloride. AKA one of the dry cleaning fluids. Very highly toxic to your liver.

I like carbon tet as a fire extinguisher or solvent--cheap & effective--just keep it out of your blood [difficult].

What really worries me is that it produces phosgene at very high temperatures.
Good news is--your cheap convenient fire extinguisher saved you from burning to death.
Bad news is--you're still dead. :(
2012 Retro

Steve7959
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Steve7959 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:49 am

I fitted one just because it looks 'right'

But it is filled with water and is could be used to spray water. Not much good for fuel fires though

Extunguisher 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

2004 Ural Dalesman
'91 Honda VFR 750
'98 BMW F650

Sometimes I sit and think
............. mostly I just sit

Dat Yooper
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Dat Yooper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:41 am

GHGoodwin wrote:
Lmo wrote:Dad used to have an extinguished just like that on the garage wall. I think it was refillable? It had a nasty smelling liquid in it (not vodka).

Carbon tetrachloride. AKA one of the dry cleaning fluids. Very highly toxic to your liver.

1x on the Toxic VOC !!!
It's illegal to refill them anymore.
I have one like it in my 1952 Ford Truck mounted on the passenger kick panel,
For Looks Only, have a Brownie Duster new style inside the drivers door by seat bracket
Rusty Iron Junkie from Central Wisconsin!! Old: Trucks, Farm Tractors, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles....and a 2000 Ural Patrol 650
"I should have collected Stamps and I wouldn't need 2 storage buildings too keep it ALL"

You are never lost, but you may have never been at this place before, so enjoy all that you see, hear, feel......
You can only be lost if you have left the planet;
Take a bearing, stay on it, and you will come right back to where you are right now !!

n3303j
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby n3303j » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:57 am

I remember heated tanks of Carbontetracloride at the plater's shop. The solvent was at the bottom of a large deep rectangular tank. It was heated somewhat to produce invisible vapors. The heavy vapors didn't overflow the tank. Oily parts were lowered into the tank in a rack. At a certain point the oil would just begin to run off as if it were being rinsed. The parts came out dry. They never actually touched the liquid.

On a related note it was common to see glass spheres about 6 inches in diameter filled with liquid hung in old home basements as fire extinguishers. Fire would explode the glass and the heavy vapor would block oxygen flow to the base of the flames. They've all probably gone the way of lead paint.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

mcj115
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mcj115 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:18 pm

GHGoodwin wrote:
Lmo wrote:Dad used to have an extinguished just like that on the garage wall. I think it was refillable? It had a nasty smelling liquid in it (not vodka).

Carbon tetrachloride. AKA one of the dry cleaning fluids. Very highly toxic to your liver.

Correct.... do not let carbon tet enter your blood stream! There are reasons this style of extinguisher is outlawed for many decades. Back in the bad carbon tet was also used as a cleaning agent.
1999 Patrol 17km and counting! (October 2013) Now 2450 km and couting-June 2014.

mouka
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby mouka » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:27 pm

This one takes the cake for the reliability and durability of a Ural. The engine, of all things, was on fire. They put it out and the darn thing starts right up.
Another thing: Is this the Russian version of "let's go ride today! The temperatures are 40 below, and there are 2 feet of snow on non plowed rural back roads"? These guys are awesome!
2005 Honda Sabre 1100
2003 Ural Tourist
1998 Honda Aero 1100

Lmo

Postby Lmo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 pm

On a related note it was common to see glass spheres about 6 inches in diameter filled with liquid hung in old home basements as fire extinguishers. Fire would explode the glass and the heavy vapor would block oxygen flow to the base of the flames. They've all probably gone the way of lead paint.

Apparently not.

They just don't say what it's main ingredient is. Nor do they have to, they're in Thailand.
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1963 (?) Dnural w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

bluesman
Comrade
Comrade

Postby bluesman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:56 pm

The guy who originally made the video says that the gas came not from the gas tank, but from the carb.
2015 Gloss Black Retro Classic
2007 Harley FLSTC, Springer Classic
1942 Harley WLA

54vintage
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby 54vintage » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:18 am

Look guys it's as simple as this.....never ride your Ural unless there's at least 24 inches of snow. :wink:
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”