My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby Burt1713 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:28 pm

jwaller wrote:I changed the rear wheel last weekend. I thought the rear tire looked bad. Taking the rear wheel off seemed pretty straight forward. Learned two things though. I didn't have the correct sized allen wrench to remove the brakes. But I had the right one in my tool box. That is now in my Ural tool roll. The other thing I learned is that the axle is a total PITA to remove. Got it out and removed the rear wheel. Somehow taking the wheel off and seeing the tire from a different angle and the tire doesn't look so bad after all. Oh well, it becomes the new spare. Put the new wheel on with the new tire. I thought it was a PITA to remove the axle. Even more so to put it back in. I'd hate to have to do this on the side of the road. Gotta get a mallet or hammer for the side hack trunk.

My wife was a good sport and gave the side hack another try this morning as we rode out for breakfast...... She hated it again. In fact, the thought of getting back in and riding back home had her in tears, so we called a friend to meet us for breakfast and give her a car ride back home. I went for a monkey-less ride. Flying the chair all over the place. I was having a good time when I suddenly heard a loud metallic clank. Oh no! Did my motor just grenade? I pulled over (glad I wasn't going fast) coasted to a stop. I got off and gave the bike a look-over. I'm apparently an idiot, but I do learn from my mistakes, so this will not happen again. Turns out I didn't tighten the bolts for the rear disk enough and I failed to use lock-tight. The disk was hanging off the axle. I rigged up a fix by removing the spare tire and spare tire holder. I used those bolts to at least hold the disk on the wheel as they fit and then didn't use the rear brake on the way home. I tried to find the correct bolts at hardware and automotive stores; no dice. For now, those bolts are still holding the rear brake disk (with lock-tight) and the spare tire holder is held on by regular hex-head bolts.

I had my back tire off working on the input shaft seal on the final drive. The axle came out and went in without a problem, could there be an alignment issue on your swingarm?
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Hmm. Could be. I am getting this week off. Perhaps I should take my bike into the dealership just to check things out, just in case.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:09 pm

I hit 10,000 km yesterday. Still loving it. No major issues or problems. It's been fine. I'm actually looking forward to doing its maintenance this weekend.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

n3303j
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby n3303j » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:05 am

jwaller wrote:The other thing I learned is that the axle is a total PITA to remove.

With the rear wheel out the axle should slide freely into final position with minimal finger pressure.

Remove the rear wheel (and driveshaft yoke)and push the axle completely toward the final drive. Now push the axle back to the clamp on the left portion of the swingarm.

The left end of the axle should point directly at the center of the clamping end of the swingarm. It should pass through with no drag.

If it does not point directly at the center you can add thin shims on the FD mounting studs between the FD and the mount points on the swing arm until you have the axle pointing directly at the left axle carrier.

Once done you will find it easy to remove a rear axle for wheel change.

You will also have increased the life of your final drive. The axle being pulled to one side applies an unnecessary radial load on the final drive bearings.

It seems somewhat common for Ural final drives to be poorly aligned with the axle hole on port side.

Best luck and enjoy the ride.

Can't imagine what you did that made the Dear Wife abandon ship mid transit. :o
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:07 am

Got to go out for a good ride last Saturday. My wife still won't ride, but my sister wanted to go out for a spin. She loved it. Now she wants her husband to get a sidecar. He's already got a KLR650 (he got from me). Now he's got to get a hack for it.
Took the opportunity to pick up a tag for the TX tag game. I hit 14,000 km on the ride. Still problem free.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Time for new tires.
This was the original spare. I had to put the original wheel and tire back on as it still has some life left. Gonna be ordering 2 new tires this week. Two rear tires roached in 14,128 km.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

n3303j

Postby n3303j » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:02 pm

7K is about what people are claiming for service life on a Duro in Pusher position. OTOH the sidecar tire lasts forever.

I'm running the Sportsman differential so both rears are full time pushers. I'm curious to see what that does for tire life.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:55 pm

So, it looks like I'll be testing Ural's warranty. On my way to work today, the bike started lugging pretty badly in 4th gear. I don't know what that's all about. I decided it's time to take it in to get that looked at. I'm all okay doing rather simple maintenance, but I don't think I want to be tearing the engine apart, if that's what needs to be done. I kept the speed down and took the bike to the dealer in San Antonio. Seems like the folks at Ural have been problematic to work with, from the perspective of the dealership. I've done all the maintenance to this point rather than take it to the dealership. I don't really have time to take it to the dealership to get the oil changed and all that; the bike's my daily rider. Any way, I hope the Ural importers will accept my own service records as well as this very thread as proof that I have been doing my maintenance. Anyone had problems getting warranty work out of Ural?
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Nope, IMZ was great to deal with when my '04 has its teething pains back in the day.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Well, my bike's been in the shop for over a week now. I gave them the laundry list of gripes with the bike; the final drive leaks, it's been going through about a quart of oil each week, the issue that was causing the lugging in 4th gear. I don't know yet what's wrong with the bike, but I miss it and can't wait for it to get back out of the shop and on the road again.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Well, I'm extremely dissatisfied. My bike's been in the shop since February 25. The assholes never even cared to call me or anything. It's spring break, so I was able to get to the dealership today to try to find out what's up. I guess the dealership that sells Urals in San Antonio isn't interested in doing any work on Urals. WTF?!! How do you sell a product and then not want to honor the warranty or do any warranty work? I asked if they even knew what was wrong with the bike and then they said that would require diagnostic work that I'd have to pay up front. That because the check engine light is on, they'd have to plug it in and run diagnostics that could take one to three hours at least and I'd have to pay the hourly rate for that. AND THE THING IS UNDER WARRANTY!!! WTF? When I've had a new car have a check engine light come on, the dealership checked it and then determined whether it was a problem covered under warranty or not.

Did I mention that the bike has sat there for three weeks with out any contact? How long was I going to be kept on the back burner?

Anyone have any suggestions of who else I could take the bike to? I don't want to give D'Moto any more business at all. I know for sure I'll NEVER buy a bike from them again.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Squire230
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Squire230 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:09 pm

They all do that!
Al

URAL Gear-Up 2010 w/
K37 tires
Fog lights
Raceway Left High 2-1 exhaust
Smitty Built baskets for fuel & boxes

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Contact IMZ in Redmond, they've been very helpful when selling dealers are not.

Good luck.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Gearbox drain and filler plugs
Metal pieces off filler plug.
Figured I might want to see if I can figure this out since it will be at least a couple weeks until I can get it to a shop.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:37 pm

After re-filling the gearbox with fresh oil, I gave it a quick ride around the block. When I put it into 4th gear, it goes into gear, or feels like it goes into gear okay, but when I release the clutch, it grinds badly and delivers no power. Big problems I suspect. I'm fairly mechanically competent, but I don't know if I want to tackle this, lack of space in the garage and all, so I'll be taking it to a shop about 130 miles away since the place I bought it from won't help. The shop I bought it from will no longer be servicing Urals nor will they be selling them.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”