My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby jwaller » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:40 am

Well, crap. The service manual that came with the bike says .5 to 1mm or .02 to .04 inches. No wonder the bike "seemed" so badly out of spec.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:32 pm

So after getting the word that the specs are to be .05 to .1mm here and cross checking that with Ural specs on another website, I decided to look through all the paperwork the dealer gave me. Sure enough, I found a paper that had corrections to the service manual. Right on, the specs said .o5 to .1mm. I thought that half to one full millimeter seemed excessive, but then again, there aren't tight tolerances on an AK-47 either. Anyhow, a simple fix. I set the valves again this morning, to the appropriate specs (they were probably good last night when I originally checked them). My son loaded up in the sidecar and my daughter hopped on her Nighthawk 250. We set out for Utopia and a slice of pie.

Stopped after lunch and pie at the Lonestar Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool. Lots of folks admired the Ural. Some said the museum shouldn't charge me admission but pay me for bringing the Ural.

Stopped later in the day for my daughter to get some Monster Energy drink. She was really tired and having a hard time riding and keeping up with the snarling beast that is a Ural Patrol.

All in all, a good day spent together. We rode about 250 miles. Good way to spend the day if you ask me.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:10 pm

My Ural stinks........ Literally. At least it did. On my way to work I was following an SUV, probably a little too close, but I was actually setting up to pass it, as the highway was about to go from 2 lanes to 4. A skunk ran out in front of the SUV and got hit. I went right by the skunk as it was in its death throes. My bike, my son, and I all got sprayed. At first I thought it was just the smell of skunk that you smell whenever you pass a dead one. But after many miles, the smell hadn't gone away. I got to the school where I work and took off my gear, which I decided needed to stay in the hack because it smelled like skunk. The bike really smelled. And my son smelled like skunk too. I went to my classroom and could still smell the skunk. I figured it was only on my gear and that I was just "smelling things", self conscious and all. I went to the front office for a second opinion and the secretary said "I can't smell you from here." But she walked toward me until she got about 4 feet away and suddenly stopped, put her hands up, and said, "Oh yeah. That's definitely going to be a distraction." Had to put the skunky gear back on and ride the one hour to the house to take a good shower and change clothes. My son stayed home. He worked hard all day cleaning the bike. It no longer smells like skunk. Problem is, we were suited up head to toe and our gear is full of skunk. Helmets, gloves, jackets, pants, boots, all of it. Anyone know how to get the skunk smell out of fabric or mesh riding gear? What about leather?

This issue forced me to ride a different bike. I rode my Triumph Scrambler for the first time since getting the Ural four weeks ago. My Scrambler suddenly seems high tech, sophisticated, and fast. A keeper. But so is the Ural.

By the way, next time someone tells you that some beer has gone skunky or tastes like skunk, tell them they are full of $h1t. Get sprayed by a skunk and really taste skunk spray and suddenly the worst things seem relatively pleasant.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:25 am

Yesterday I pulled all my bikes out of my garage to do a little organizing. My yard looked like a bike lot.
Now my garage is a little better organized. But definitely still a work in progress.
Incidentally, last Thursday we had our first rain since June. I got to test the Ural in rain. Not bad at all. And it was actually nice as it caused the temperature to drop quite a bit. I didn't feel like a piece of beef jerky by the time I got home.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

hrpchr
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby hrpchr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:29 am

Well Crap! I was refitting my Ural trailer today, going through the storage boxes I use at the front of the trailer as splash guards, and found that for some reason a quart of Automatic Transmission Fluid I had in the box had ruptured. No biggie, right?

BUT, my Maasdam 3/4-ton Rope Puller Rope was also in that container, and now I have a 100-foot hank of ATF Red Nylon Rope! Likewise, my 20-foot tow strap was with the rope, and too it is an interesting slippery orange color now.

Help! Is there a sensible method of removing clean ATF fluid from nylon rope or strap?

Chris

2008 Black Patrol, 130/45 Jets, Drilled Slides, Punched Baffles

iwrench2
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby iwrench2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Dawn and or simple green they use dawn on birds to remove oil maybe? Not sure
Ural 2013 Tourist Squirrel
single wheel drive
Honda 2014 CTX700DE Little Red with big attitude ( really fast)
BMW 2009 K1200LT Hummingbird gone not forgotten
48 State LDR now SDR maybe 49 ? states

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Mothra35 wrote:
gobium wrote:Check ground on battery and engine ground connection

ON a side note, how does the son like the ride with the windshield, I put mine on but haven't rode anyone yet in it with the windshield installed...has he rode with in removed..if so does he like it better or worse??

Finally got around to trying the hack without a windshield. My son says now that he prefers the windshield removed, but that the ride was a lot cooler without it. I think we like the looks better without the windshield. I'll save it for rainy weather and if/when my wife ever wants to give it a go again.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mothra35 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:23 am

Cool, thanks for the update.

That skunk incident sucks (or stinks--hardyharhar) :roll: I dunno what to tell you about getting it out the fabric or leather. Guess put a big white strip down the sidecar and call it the skunk
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"
--1984 Honda Aero 125--
My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:56 pm

I've been living with the Ural now for just over 6 weeks and have put about 6500 km on it. I think it's beginning to break in. I ride everyday through a little bit of the beginning of TX hill country. My commute is from New Braunfels to Boerne and then back. I do about 100 miles a day Monday through Friday. Since I got the Ural, there's been only three work days I didn't take it. Two days I took my Triumph Scrambler because my son stayed home from school sick (he's a student at the school where I teach) and I didn't need the hack, so I took the opportunity to ride two wheels and save some gas money. Another day we took the car because we're both trying to shake a cold and it was a cool foggy morning and my wife insisted we take the car. Anyway.... The bike seems to be breaking in. It feels like it is making more power than when I first got it. It's not having as hard a time going up hill. It's gotten faster. It seems to be running more efficiently. So far, so good. Six weeks and 6500 km and the only problem is a slight leak in the final drive, the low fuel light doesn't work, and the driving light on the hack has a burned out bulb. Big deal. I might get those issues looked at by the dealer some time in the next couple years before the warranty expires or I might not. I'm loving this bike and have zero regrets about buying it.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

sagerat

Postby sagerat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:28 pm

Wait until your engine gets about 15,000 to 20,000 klicks on it. Then there is really a noticeable difference in better mpg and engine performance.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

tx2sturgis

Postby tx2sturgis » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Glad you're having fun....It sounds like you're putting in a lot of saddle-time and I cant see any of your pics but if you still have the factory stock stepped bench saddle, you might want to look into the Ural Enduro Bench or the tractor style solo saddle...either one are WAY more comfy than the stock stepped bench.

:thumbsup:
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:39 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:Glad you're having fun....It sounds like you're putting in a lot of saddle-time and I cant see any of your pics but if you still have the factory stock stepped bench saddle, you might want to look into the Ural Enduro Bench or the tractor style solo saddle...either one are WAY more comfy than the stock stepped bench.

:thumbsup:

Wow. Good to know. Though I don't find any discomfort with the stock seat, it's good to know that the other options are even more comfortable. Maybe some day I'll have all three, just for the sake of variety. :D
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Burt1713
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Burt1713 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm going to have to add my own (mis-)adventure story. I am a Ural noob, but have been riding motorcycle for over twenty years. I have always used the trip odometer as a fuel gauge and had calculated that 200km would not be a problem. I was commuting to and from work with the Ural and on the way to work my low fuel light started to flash. When I arrived at work the fuel light was on continuously. Since I still was well under my limit of 200km and since I don't trust low fuel lights I decided to ride the bike home after work (25 miles). Just outside of my hometown I was out of gas so I had to call my wife to bring a gas can. When I got the bike home and was trying to figure out why it had ran out of gas, my 9 year old son came out and pointed to the trip odometer reset and asked "What does this knob do Dad?" Mystery solved.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:13 pm

I changed the rear wheel last weekend. I thought the rear tire looked bad. Taking the rear wheel off seemed pretty straight forward. Learned two things though. I didn't have the correct sized allen wrench to remove the brakes. But I had the right one in my tool box. That is now in my Ural tool roll. The other thing I learned is that the axle is a total PITA to remove. Got it out and removed the rear wheel. Somehow taking the wheel off and seeing the tire from a different angle and the tire doesn't look so bad after all. Oh well, it becomes the new spare. Put the new wheel on with the new tire. I thought it was a PITA to remove the axle. Even more so to put it back in. I'd hate to have to do this on the side of the road. Gotta get a mallet or hammer for the side hack trunk.

My wife was a good sport and gave the side hack another try this morning as we rode out for breakfast...... She hated it again. In fact, the thought of getting back in and riding back home had her in tears, so we called a friend to meet us for breakfast and give her a car ride back home. I went for a monkey-less ride. Flying the chair all over the place. I was having a good time when I suddenly heard a loud metallic clank. Oh no! Did my motor just grenade? I pulled over (glad I wasn't going fast) coasted to a stop. I got off and gave the bike a look-over. I'm apparently an idiot, but I do learn from my mistakes, so this will not happen again. Turns out I didn't tighten the bolts for the rear disk enough and I failed to use lock-tight. The disk was hanging off the axle. I rigged up a fix by removing the spare tire and spare tire holder. I used those bolts to at least hold the disk on the wheel as they fit and then didn't use the rear brake on the way home. I tried to find the correct bolts at hardware and automotive stores; no dice. For now, those bolts are still holding the rear brake disk (with lock-tight) and the spare tire holder is held on by regular hex-head bolts.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Burt1713 wrote:I'm going to have to add my own (mis-)adventure story. I am a Ural noob, but have been riding motorcycle for over twenty years. I have always used the trip odometer as a fuel gauge and had calculated that 200km would not be a problem. I was commuting to and from work with the Ural and on the way to work my low fuel light started to flash. When I arrived at work the fuel light was on continuously. Since I still was well under my limit of 200km and since I don't trust low fuel lights I decided to ride the bike home after work (25 miles). Just outside of my hometown I was out of gas so I had to call my wife to bring a gas can. When I got the bike home and was trying to figure out why it had ran out of gas, my 9 year old son came out and pointed to the trip odometer reset and asked "What does this knob do Dad?" Mystery solved.

Aren't kids great? :lol:

Welcome aboard. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from one another here. I'm having a total blast with my Ural and hope you are too.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”