My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
CurtC
Comrade
Comrade

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby CurtC » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Oh right, fuel injection, forgot about that :)
2012 Patrol
2012 Super Tenere / 2009 DRZ400s / 2014 TW200

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby barnone » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:04 am

Seems to me since the fuel pump is external to the tank that we could still have a petcock with on/reserve/off.

BikerMage
Party Member
Party Member

Postby BikerMage » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:12 am

barnone wrote:Seems to me since the fuel pump is external to the tank that we could still have a petcock with on/reserve/off.

Of course we COULD, I've ridden EFI bikes with Reserve. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to pull the existing petcock and simply install one with Reserve.
Previous bikes:
1981 Yamaha XS1100 (full rebuild, really fun)
2005 Suzuki Katana (we all make the crotch rocket mistake once, right?)
1982 Yamaha XJ750 (lucky enough to have my wife buy me a bike)
1984 Honda Goldwing

Yakatak
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Yakatak » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 pm

I presume that you have the Owners Manual? It contains instructions on how to determine the reason the "Check Engine" light came on. My experience with running out of gas occurred when I had to do one short section of interstate, at a place we affectionately call "Malfunction Junction". I have since installed a Pingel reserve fuel petcock.
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt
2009 Suzuki DR650
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
1983 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III
1972 750 Norton Commando (2)

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Gave the bike a thorough shake-down over the weekend. My son and I rode to Bolivar Peninsula and stayed with my family at a beach house in Crystal Beach. First time I've been there since right after Hurricane Ike; good to see that the place has re-built. Anyway, the bike operated near flawlessly. Riding up and down the beach, I know what it feels like to be a hot chick at the beach, turning every head you pass. Got a lot of looks, thumbs up and shout outs as I rode by. EVEN THE HOT CHICKS LOOKED MY WAY!! Man, that never happens.

Like I said, the bike operated near flawlessly. Somewhere on the way down on Friday night, the sidecar light went out. The right blinker on the sidecar still works fine, front and back, but the white light began flickering for a while and then went out. So I need to check for a short in the wires somewhere for that. Also, the front left indicator quit working as well. Sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. So I think it's just a short in the wire as well. I noticed I have a leak in the drive shaft. Oil has been slung pretty uniformly around the rear wheel. I've reported these problems to the dealer since the bike is under warranty but I think I'm just going to try to sort it all out myself. I'm going to give the bike its first service this afternoon and see just how it's holding up.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Kilometers2 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:26 pm

May not be a short. Ural lights work best if you put dialectic grease on all the bulbs.
Miles aka Kilometers

On a hiatus to try out hacking my Harley after owning and loving a 2007 Gear Up, 2014 Patrol, and a 2016 Gear Up. If a Harley/Hannigan rig doesn't make me feel like my Urals did I will be in the market for a black with white pin stripes Retro.

lpenney
Party Member
Party Member

Postby lpenney » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 pm

I've had the same problem with the reverse lever and getting it into gear. I was showing my rig to someone in the neighborhood and couldn't get it back into gear. Just as I was about to tuck tail and push it back home, my eyes lighted on the reverse lever. I moved it into the forward position and it dropped into gear no problem. I think this is a pretty common item. Like someone else said earlier, you have to learn the bike.

My other big forehead slap moment was leaving the parking brake engaged and wondering why I couldn't maintain speed on the highway. Make sure it is adjusted to make the bike stall on take off so that doesn't happen to you.

Oh yeah, another learning curve move was with the 2WD. I had been on a forest service road, but only though I was in 1WD. I think the vibrations kicked it into 2WD, but I didn't notice it on the dirt road. Once I hit the highway, it seemed more difficult to steer, but I wasn't sure why. When I stopped for gas, I noticed the 2WD selector position and made sure it locked into place.

I hope some of my dumba$$ noob moves will help you with your own learning curve.

Ride safe and enjoy!
2007 Ural Patrol
2001 Yamaha TW200 (gone but not forgotten)

rivers

Postby rivers » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:47 pm

jwaller wrote:I'm just gonna use the trip odometer as I now know the range on the bike. As far a a reserve position for the petcock..... It's fuel injected, so I assume there is no petcock, but I could be wrong. Have to check again and see.

Yup no petcock on a fueli Ural and yes the trip meter is your friend. 200km...add fuel. Sure there is a fuel idiot light(key word..."idiot") Mine blinks whenever in the mood anywhere from 50km to 200km. Must be some sort of Russian sense of humor thing that doesn't translate well. Point being trust the tripmeter not the IDIOT light.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Check ground on battery and engine ground connection

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:43 pm

So, I checked the lights that were faulty and found the problem. The light on the sidecar was just burned out; the filament was gone. No problem. I'll just buy an new bulb for that one. The front left blinker just needed to be wiggled around a bit and began working again. I shook the handlebars from left to right and kind of bounced on the bike to make sure it was working solid before putting the amber lens back on. After putting the lens on, wouldn't you know it.... the light quit working again. So, more work to do.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

BikerMage
Party Member
Party Member

Postby BikerMage » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:45 pm

jwaller wrote:So, I checked the lights that were faulty and found the problem. The light on the sidecar was just burned out; the filament was gone. No problem. I'll just buy an new bulb for that one. The front left blinker just needed to be wiggled around a bit and began working again. I shook the handlebars from left to right and kind of bounced on the bike to make sure it was working solid before putting the amber lens back on. After putting the lens on, wouldn't you know it.... the light quit working again. So, more work to do.

If it's burned out again, look for a short that's jumping too much power into the bulb. That is, assuming you're using the correct bulb in the first place...
Previous bikes:
1981 Yamaha XS1100 (full rebuild, really fun)
2005 Suzuki Katana (we all make the crotch rocket mistake once, right?)
1982 Yamaha XJ750 (lucky enough to have my wife buy me a bike)
1984 Honda Goldwing

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:11 pm

That is, assuming you're using the correct bulb in the first place...

I'm not using the wrong bulb unless the factory installed the wrong bulb! But I guess that's possible.

Pic of my son and I at the beach. I'm the dashing one with the goofy grin :D

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:00 am

Did the first oil change.

That second pic came from the transmission fill plug. First oil change. Should I be alarmed?
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

csbdr
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby csbdr » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:20 am

No. That looks like pretty typical chaff from the gears of a new bike.
2002 Ural Tourist "Pikop Andropov" 39,000 km
2003 Yamaha Roadstar (hardly ridden anymore)
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet C5

Mothra35
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Mothra35 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:26 am

gobium wrote:Check ground on battery and engine ground connection

If the sidecar light still isn't working I would check the ground wire that's clipped to the socket (if the new ones are still like this :oops: ) if not its gotta be grounded somewhere...what it sounds like to me also^^

ON a side note, how does the son like the ride with the windshield, I put mine on but haven't rode anyone yet in it with the windshield installed...has he rode with in removed..if so does he like it better or worse??
--2005 Ural Tourist--"Маня"

My U-Tube
---Oliver---Оливер--- :headbang:

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”