My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby Tpex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:31 pm

jwaller wrote:Got my new swing-arm in today. I'll wait until the evening to start putting it on the bike. It's HOT!! I over did it, riding over 2 hours after work to get the swing arm and then riding about another 2 hours to get home. In about 100 degree heat. That time spent in Austin traffic in the heat really, really about did me in.

The replacement swing-arm looks to be an updated design from the original. It does not have that welded brace which was the point of failure for the original. Still planning to take off all the associated 2wd stuff.

Which dealer did you get the replacement swing arm (without brace) from, was it AF1?

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes, it was AF1.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Tpex » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:41 pm

jwaller wrote:Yes, it was AF1.

Thanks. :thumbsup: I take it that they had to order it from IMW-Ural for you (Meaning that they did not have it in stock)?

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Yeah. It was the warranty replacement when my original swing-arm broke. AF1 doesn't really stock too many Ural parts. They do have some expendables but that's about it. They had to special order a U-joint for me. So, they didn't even have that in stock which is something I'd have thought they'd have. When they ordered the swing-arm, it came in about a week or so, I believe.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Tpex
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Tpex » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 am

Thanks :thumbsup: My goal is to pinpoint when IMW-Ural removed the gusset from replacement swing arms.

In one of your earlier post post you wrote;
The other thing I learned is that the axle is a total PITA to remove. Got it out and removed the rear wheel. Somehow taking the wheel off and seeing the tire from a different angle and the tire doesn't look so bad after all. Oh well, it becomes the new spare. Put the new wheel on with the new tire. I thought it was a PITA to remove the axle. Even more so to put it back in. I'd hate to have to do this on the side of the road. Gotta get a mallet or hammer for the side hack trunk.
I wonder if this was a symptom of the impending swing arm breakage your Ural had?

I do admire your fortitude with your Ural, most new buyers would have given up a long time ago and traded it in for a BMW :lol:

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:59 am

I think the swing-arm breaking was a result of the really bad initial set-up as purchased. Being my first sidecar, I didn't know any better and trusted that the dealership who sold me the bike did their homework and put it together correctly. That didn't happen. When I got the new swing-arm, I got the bike set up correctly by another member on this forum, UralCT, or Charlie. We found that the bike had something ridiculous like 9 degrees lean out. Instead of a slight toe-in, the sidecar had a couple inches toe out. I think those two things caused stress that lead to the swing-arm breakage. The axle being a PITA had to do with where the axle goes through the swing-arm. That part of the swing-arm was tight and I opened it up a bit and it's become much better.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Gave the bike a 100 mile ride today. 50 miles to work this morning and 50 miles home. I'm impressed with the Heidenau pusher. The Duro it replaced was still new, with only about 1700 km on it, so it's not like I'm on a new tire after being on a worn out bald tire. I think the better feeling is either in my mind or is real and has something to do with the thicker, stiffer sidewall. It looks wider at the contact patch and feels better planted, with less flex and more grip. I'll have to wait to see what kind of mileage it gets, but the initial impression is that of a better ride. I think I'll replace the front and tub tire with Heidenau as well. Things ought to last forever on the front and sidecar. New u-joint probably has something to do with the smoother ride. There was a lot of play in the one taken out. One of the old bushing caps had most of the bearing needles worn down to mostly nothing. Gotta do a much better job about keeping the u-joint lubed so the new one will last more than 32,000 km.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby hotflash44 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 am

jwaller, just curious with the Heidenau being wider how close is the rubber drive shaft boot fitting at the spline to the side of the tire? on the Duro its very close. :? :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Mine's rubbing. A bit.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm

jwaller wrote:I think the swing-arm breaking was a result of the really bad initial set-up as purchased. . . We found that the bike had something ridiculous like 9 degrees lean out. Instead of a slight toe-in, the sidecar had a couple inches toe out. I think those two things caused stress that lead to the swing-arm breakage.

Holy crap :o
Mike H

jwaller
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby jwaller » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 pm

hotflash44 wrote:jwaller, just curious with the Heidenau being wider how close is the rubber drive shaft boot fitting at the spline to the side of the tire? on the Duro its very close. :? :cheers:

It's very close but just has the clearance.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

TriumphRider87
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TriumphRider87 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:50 pm

[quote="jwaller"]Gave the bike a 100 mile ride today. 50 miles to work this morning and 50 miles home. I'm impressed with the Heidenau pusher. The Duro it replaced was still new, with only about 1700 km on it, so it's not like I'm on a new tire after being on a worn out bald tire. I think the better feeling is either in my mind or is real and has something to do with the thicker, stiffer sidewall. It looks wider at the contact patch and feels better planted, with less flex and more grip. I'll have to wait to see what kind of mileage it gets, but the initial impression is that of a better ride. I think I'll replace the front and tub tire with Heidenau as well. Things ought to last forever on the front and sidecar..../quote]

Thanks for the positive report-back on the Heidenau. I'm still running Uralshinas but obviously will have to replace them at some point.
2007 Ural Tourist, Triumph Street Triple, Kawasaki Versys

Mr Wazzock

Postby Mr Wazzock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 pm

I luv my Heidenau's. Feel really grippy. :thumbsup:

Mike H

hotflash44

Postby hotflash44 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:06 am

Mr Wazzock, thinking on doing my own tire changing when the time comes,hear the Heidenau has stiffer side walls than the Duro. have you done a tire change by hand yourself? :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

wooden nickel

Postby wooden nickel » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:31 am

I didn't do a tire change on a K28 but I did a tube change. The K28.s are really stiff on a 18 inch rim and I pinched the first tube. I used much more care with the second and was successful. The K28 has to be levered over further than the Duro to slide inside the rim. Also I am going to buy a valve stem fishing tool before I try this again. Those stiff sidewalls make it a bear to get the valve in the rim hole. Be sure to give the tube enough air to remove the wrinkles but not enough to interfere with the installation.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”