My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby jwaller » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:41 pm

I don't know why, but after 15 years on two wheels, I decided it would be cool to add a third wheel. One possible reason is I figured it might be more palatable to my wife. She doesn't like riding pillion so I thought maybe a side ride would be the thing to include her in my other greatest passion (any guy whose wife is also into bikes is truly blessed!). So, I have been thinking it over for the past year or so. Then around Easter my wife and I were driving through the Texas hill country and saw a rancher with a Ural loaded down with fencing equipment. I suddenly realized the utilitarian potential of a Ural, how it could be like a motorcycle pick-up truck, and decided I'd get one when I could. Well, that time came in the past couple weeks. I made a down payment on a new '14 Patrol on Saturday and picked it up Tuesday night. I learned to drive a side hack on my way home to New Braunfels from the San Antonio Ducati dealership. I also got home and realized the left side panel was missing. Did it come off on the way home or did the service people at the dealership forget to put it back on after charging the battery Tuesday afternoon? Who knows? It was dark when I took delivery of the bike so I don't know if it was there when I got the bike or not. Still, not a deal breaker.

I rode the bike 50 miles to work yesterday, from my house in New Braunfels to the school where I teach in Boerne. I rode without a passenger but with a lot of water bottles in the hack for ballast. The ride to and from work was uneventful. After getting home I asked my wife if I could give her a little spin and she said no. So I took my 10 year old daughter. We tried to take the dog, and he was game until I turned on the engine, when he tried to split. He ended up dangling out the side of the sidecar right in front of the wheel. So we went without him. Then my brother came over and I gave him a spin around the neighborhood. Finally in the evening, my wife finally gave in and let me take her for a spin. When we got back home she told me how much she hated it. Too loud, too hot, too dirty, too windy, I must be crazy to like motorcycles. Oh well, you lose some and you lose some more.

Today, on my way to work, I had my first real experience with UDF. But, it was not in a good way. My son started going to my school with me this morning, so out with the water bottles and in with a real passenger. We were about half way between home and work and I was wondering what kind of range the bike would get. I kept looking for the low fuel light to come on. I knew we were about a mile from a gas station and decided I didn't want to push it any further, just in case the low fuel light just wasn't working or something. Well, hell. As soon as I had the thought, the motor started losing power and died. Out of gas (at least I now know the range of my bike) about a mile from a gas station with at least one hill between us and it. So my son and I got out and started pushing. Pushing up hill. We got to the top of the hill just as we were running out of steam and I was hoping to see the gas station at the bottom of the other side. Darn, no gas station. Must be over the next hill. So we coasted down the hill and started pushing up the next hill. We were about half way up the hill when my son started puking up his breakfast (I guess he over exerted himself). Finally a guy in a pick up truck stopped and asked if he could help us. He didn't have a spare gas can (funny as we were leaving the house I thought it would be a good idea to grab one, just in case. And then didn't.). He offered to tow us the rest of the way up the hill and to the gas station. It was about one kilometer. We got our gas (thanks for the tow, Greg) and the bike started right up and there was still plenty of time to make it to work without being late. But I couldn't get the bike out of neutral. No matter how hard I tried to shift up or down, the bike stayed in neutral. The gear selector was froze in place. I called into work to let them know I was now going to be late and called my wife to ask her to please come pick us up. I would call the dealership later in the morning when they opened.

While waiting for my wife to get to us I continued to try to get the bike in gear. No dice. I just wondered about the reverse gear, if it would be jacked up too. Nope. It went into reverse, no problem. I took it back out of reverse without problem too. And then the bike went right into gear with no problem. And now it's running like a champ. But the engine light stays on.

So, any experienced Uralistas know what could be wrong? Why did I have such a problem getting the bike in gear? What could be wrong causing the engine light to illuminate now, does it have something to do with the fact that I ran it out of gas? I know that's probably not good for the fuel pump. Help, please.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: My Ural (Mis?)Adventure, so far.......

Postby propwash » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Buying the Ural for the Wife - nice angle :roll:

Won't shift out of neutral - reverse lever was engaged. You'll know next time; no issue.
About the others... I'll leave it to the others.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the response, propwash. I wonder how the reverse lever was engaged. The bike was in neutral for the push and the tow. It was only after not being able to get it in gear that I wondered if the reverse gear selector would be froze up like that too. But it went right into the reverse position and then right back into the forward position. Are you saying that bike somehow got in reverse even before I selected reverse with the lever? I suppose that's possible, because as soon as I selected reverse and then put it out of reverse, the problem was solved. I suppose if it happens again at least I'll know what to do to get it working.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby propwash » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 pm

BTW - welcome.
Who knows about the reverse lever - it happens. When in neutral, the reverse gear is ready to engage with just a bump. Now, it is not going to go into reverse on its own, but with the tow, push... there could have been a bump of the lever. You'll get use to the bike and learn to enjoy it. The idiot light sucks, but I am not a modern Ural guy, so someone will be alone to help.
Take some time, learn the bike; I bet in time you'll laugh about all this and help the next noob with a Ural.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Absolutely. I love it already. The whole thing about the (mis?) in front of adventure is sort of a joke. It's all an adventure, good, bad, whatever. There's just so much to the bike. I know really all I need to do is keep at it and learn all its idiosyncrasies and it'll be okay.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

lschultz
Party Member
Party Member

Postby lschultz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:04 am

:lol: :lol: your wife kinda sounds like mine. Somethings dem wemens just don't understand. Ducati San Antonio thats where my son bought his Ducati Monster 1200S. Dam boy has five of motorsickles he lives in the next pasture next to us. He can get an eyeball on me as I age. :D I looked at the Urals over there when my son picked up his Ducati.
Larry Schultz
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2013 Kawasaki KLR 650
2015 Ural cT purchased from Ural of New England

RobH
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby RobH » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:23 am

Welcome!

You're in the right place for questions....The Ural learning curve is steep but enjoyable as long as you let the bike teach you and not try it the other way around. :)

Your fuel light sensor is (probably) burned out. I've got the same issue with my 2014 Gear Up. Apparently the fault lies with the bulb in the fuel warning light, it draws more juice than the sensor can handle and "poof" no more sensor. I'm waiting for the upgraded sensor system to come in (warranty) for my bike.

As you found out, you should start hunting for a gas station at about 200 Kms! Your mileage will improve as things break in, I now make about 240 Kms before I have to fill. I made lots of use of the 20 litre fuel can my Ural came with before I figured out my warning light was nfg.

Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes and see if that resets the engine lamp. Mine has always gone out as soon as I corrected the (always self inflicted) issue.

cheers,

R.
Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

2014 G.U.
1999 Honda ST1100
1981 BMW R100RT
1971 BMW R60/5
1965 Honda CB77

Lokiboy
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Lokiboy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:40 am

First, welcome. It's a learning curve.

The neutral lever does not need to be in neutral for it to cause the problem you encountered. There is slight play between full up and the resistance of putting into neutral. Anything less than full up will do it. Very easy to brush against it and move the lever slightly.

I guess one silver lining is gained if you noted the Kilometers when you ran out of gas. If you did, now you know to start looking for a gas station about 50kms short of that, and not rely on a light like the rest of us pre-EFI riders :wink:
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
70,000 km and counting

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby barnone » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:48 am

jwaller,
You are well on your way to becoming a real Ivan. Sorry but I can't help you as I have never run my fuel down to see the light come on. Might not even work as far as I know.

Never had the problem with being stuck in neutral. Knock on wood twice.

My only issue right now with my 2015 cT is the low RPM sputtering which does seems to be less as I now have 6k kms on the bike. Knock on wood again. Don't want to wake up the Ural gods.

As an aside, I have fond memories of when we use to go to New Braunfels area over sixty year ago to swim. The place use to pump river water up on the tin roof to cool it down a bit. Comal Springs ? Grew up in Houston and went to UT Austin. Hill country is a great place to ride a Ural. Use to ride there on my BSA 650.

Trevhead
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Trevhead » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:40 am

I can relate to the running out of gas situation. None of my other bikes have a fuel gauge.. or speedometer So I run out of gas fairly often. My nick name in our little riding group is "sonoma" it stands for "so... noma gas?" :lol: Now, I wont leave home without a spare reserve bottle or can.
98 ural 650
74 Cb750
88 Gs450
68 cb450
73 Ironhead
2009 s-40
62 ca110

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby INSUBORDINATOR » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:45 pm

I had a 1999 SUV on which the check engine light was repeatedly activated by lower octane gas. The mechanic I asked about it said it would keep happening until I spent some money to have the knock sensor moved. I told him I couldn't afford it yet & that the light made me paranoid.
he suggested: "I DISPLAY A PHOTO OF A LOVED ONE OVER THE IDIOT LIGHT" - I am never likely to forget that tip.
>>> Enclosing Picture of my Nato Jerry Can set up, even has no drip spout accessory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

CurtC
Comrade
Comrade

Postby CurtC » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:28 pm

So, do the newer ones not have a reserve petcock any more?
2012 Patrol
2012 Super Tenere / 2009 DRZ400s / 2014 TW200

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby TheWildOne » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Yeah - what curtsy said. I've never heard of a m'cycle without either a fuel gauge or a reserve position for the petcock - just a low-fuel indicator light.
Be sure to -reset- your trip odometer whenever you fill up; that's practically as good as a fuel gauge once you've established your overall range - in some ways it's better.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm just gonna use the trip odometer as I now know the range on the bike. As far a a reserve position for the petcock..... It's fuel injected, so I assume there is no petcock, but I could be wrong. Have to check again and see.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

jwaller
Party Member
Party Member

Postby jwaller » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Had a good day riding to and from work today. 550 kms so far.
2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

Ketchup. Ketchup.

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”