What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Postby Kilometers2 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am

Actually yesterday.....finally got around to replacing the fuse panel in the sidecar. The spot welds broke free on the arms holding the fuses in place and the darn thing would rattle and vibrate during accelerations. My local dealer, two hours away, sent me a replacement under warranty with out a hassle and I was waiting till I had nothing to do to take the 5 minutes to install it.
20160309_201727.jpeg
20160309_202711.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miles aka Kilometers
2016 Woodland camouflage Gear Up
previous - 2014 Patrol + 2007 Gear Up

TheDan
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TheDan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:45 am

Subsnowden wrote:Trailered it for 3 hours to get 2 hours (probably less, who knows? They never called to let me know it was done) worth of warranty work done (did I mention it was their fault?) to then immediately load it up and trailer it 3 hours back home. Hopefully that's the last time I have to deal with those @$$holes.
What was the issue and where did you go?

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:58 am

They had to replace sidecar brakes and rotor due to their improper set-up. I went to European Cycle Sports in Plano, Tx
Jon
Central Texas/Copperas Cove
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Tomcatfixer
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Tomcatfixer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:04 pm

They had to replace sidecar brakes and rotor due to their improper set-up.

I'm dealing with the exact same issue right now on my brand new cT. Initial setup from the dealer felt good, but the rear brake dragged. Revised setup from a service center felt extremely soft and still dragged. Now I've got a scorched rotor and molten pads. Gonna pester Jason for replacement parts and just fix it m'self.
2016-03-11 17.16.03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tomcatfixer on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Chad

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:07 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:
They had to replace sidecar brakes and rotor due to their improper set-up.

I'm dealing with the exact same issue right now on my brand new cT. Initial setup from the dealer felt good, but the rear brake dragged. Revised setup from a service center felt extremely soft and still dragged. Now I've got a scorched rotor and molten pads. Gonna pester Jason for replacement parts and just fix it m'self.

Fortunately the "Ural tech" that did my set-up no longer works there. I hope that's a direct result of all the issues I had. I can't stand people that don't take pride in their work and don't pay attention to details
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Ltrypsin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ltrypsin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:55 pm

I thought I was home free. My niece got used to my cT and tried her moms bike in preparation for her test. She likes it. Then my nephews girl friend wanted a ride in the sidecar... Looks like I either have to hide the keys or find another Ural..

2015 cT

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:56 am

It was a nice day here yesterday. I wanted to ride down to the little store and get a "Nickle Want Ad" paper - the ones with garage sale, stuff for sale, etc. So I have to move the Subaru out, then drive out the Ural while running over the drip pan for leaky Subaru, clean up that mess :x and viola! I'm ready to go! :) It really is a PITA to have to move stuff around to get the Ural out, but such is life.

I drove down to the store (about 5 miles one-way) and came back up the hill. I decided to stop at neighbors place. I found him in back trimming trees with about 25 of his chickens running around. He took a break and we sat at a patio table. He patted his knee a few times and 2 chickens jumped on his lap and just lay there. While we were talking he was petting these 2 chickens! I wish I had my camera! Next time I go over there I will take it. (This is the same neighbor who put a white turkey in in white coat on my GU a couple of months ago.... :lol:

Anyway, we were talking about spring, chickens, birds, etc. I got some 14' long fence poles and wanted to put up the 5 birdhouses that I have laying around here. So the subject of post-hole-digger comes up. He said he had one and we spent 15mins going through a couple of sheds that have to have at least 1 of anything in them - sort of pack-ratish. He has homemade feather plucker (careful whenya say that!), deer skins, lamp wool, a sheep head with number 105 ear tag, and just tons of what most would call junk. I wanted 2 stainless clamps for the exhaust parts I'm working on and he had a whole box of them in about 20 sizes! Long story, he found it. He said just carry it away on your shoulders.

I said that would be hard to do on motorcycle - he thought I had the car. So instead, I opened the little toolbox lid and got 2 bungies stored in there. I strapped the post-hole-digger to the rack sideways L/R, and came back with it. I wasn't going to put mud-rust-paint-chip digger in the tub. It worked just fine to get it here.

Now I have to get the energy to dig 5 holes.... :mrgreen:

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Ltrypsin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ltrypsin » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:57 pm

Added this to the brake. Hoping I'll remember to release it.... without adding some complex system..

2015 cT

Tomcatfixer

Postby Tomcatfixer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:02 am

Tried to take on the rear disc dragging gremlins once more, but they won again today. It's a complete mystery to me why the caliper piston won't retract enough to give the pads a little "breathing room".
Been fighting with this since I got the bike and it completely destroyed the OEM pads in under 1,000 kilometers.
2016-03-13 06.53.03.jpg

I DID learn that, if you vacuum-bleed your brakes, the process will draw air in past the parking brake actuating rod seal. Conversely, if you do the ol' pedal squeeze, brake fluid DOESN'T come out of that seal, which is weird, but good.
2016-03-13 06.52.28.jpg

Never have I had such frustration from a brand new vehicle. But, then again, I've never owned a Russian sidecar motorcycle before.
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:18 am

Have you adjusted the sidecar master cylinder actuating rod out?
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Tomcatfixer

Postby Tomcatfixer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:33 am

Have you adjusted the sidecar master cylinder actuating rod out?

I decoupled it from the rear brake. I unthreaded the rear brake's master cylinder actuating rod waaay out, so there's no chance that pedal pressure was causing drag, I tore down the rear caliper and inspected the piston, seals, and parking brake mechanism (all looked great). I checked the disc for warping. Got some semi-metallic EBC pads in there now. Reassembled the system and took it for a ride yesterday with poor results. Ripped it all apart last night in a fit of rage (also fueled by breaking my cell phone camera glass by leaning over the bike with 'phone in pocket). Today, I'll calmly re-fill, bleed, and play with adjustments. More than likely, it'll still drag.
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

Nybigdog82162
Party Member
Party Member

Postby Nybigdog82162 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Rode it first time since Dec....felt good :D

Wife went with me...after nice Mexican dinner pulled in High School parking lot and proceeded to fly the chair. First time no problem, didn't get it very high, second time put it up higher to get to balance point & and wife proceeded to beat the crap out of my side saying put me down!... :lol:
Tim

2013 Gear Up Gobi

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Downhill, 4th gear, full throttle. Bouncy needle touched 90! Lol
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Niteblues » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:59 pm

"Downhill"?
Texas?
:?
I didn't think they went together...........

...like in Florida, where "downhill" means coming off the overpass.

:lol:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby Subsnowden » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Niteblues wrote:"Downhill"?
Texas?
:?
I didn't think they went together...........

...like in Florida, where "downhill" means coming off the overpass.

:lol:

Ever heard of "Texas hill country"?
Jon
2012 GSXR-750
2015 Ural Gear Up
No longer own a car

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”