What did you do to your Ural today?

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Re: What did you do to your Ural today?

Postby Niteblues » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:17 pm

rshondo wrote:I found a large parking lot and practiced weaving in and out of some cones. Flew the chair for the first time. I must admit,it was a little disconcerting.

You should stop now. Once that scary feeling is gone, you will be addicted. You will then fly the chair in front of cops and scare little old ladies into thinking you're about to crash. You'll let the sidecar wheel come up while aggressively cornering just to see the car behind you fall waaaaay back and never tailgate you again...the neighborhood kids will come up with a special sign for you to fly the chair, and they will cheer you every time you do it.

It's not worth the fame and glory. You should stop now.

:wink:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Tomcatfixer
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Tomcatfixer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:00 am

f7FdEdG.jpg

Did it yesterday for waaaay too long with the missus in the chair. Like Niteblues said, cars dropped back, children stared, the missus squealed with delight, and I couldn't clear the goofy grin from my face. Until I heard the exhaust grinding on asphalt. Then I set it back down. A man's gotta know his (rig's) limitations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:48 am

Actually you gotta know your spokes limitations. Check them every once and awhile. And if you have a chair flying addiction check them more often on the hack and pusher. Stock they are not the greatest anyway.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

Tomcatfixer

Postby Tomcatfixer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:52 am

Used it to enjoy a wonderful sunrise on the way to work.
2016-03-08 10.50.51.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Leaving Home Depot yesterday with a kit of stuff for a test setup at work.

Hauling.jpg

What you don't see are the urethane hoses and the 5gal bucket in the trunk full of nylon and brass fittings. My Lil Pepe.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2013 GearUp (Taildragger)
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:11 pm

Having a look-see at why the starter just goes "clunk" Been off the bike for a week or two now and only miss it if I screw up the start sequence (2 kicks ign off, then ign on, choke if cold, one kick and if it doesn't fire all bets off) I think I understand why they changed the starter for 2016's
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:18 pm

chaos2 wrote:Having a look-see at why the starter just goes "clunk" Been off the bike for a week or two now and only miss it if I screw up the start sequence (2 kicks ign off, then ign on, choke if cold, one kick and if it doesn't fire all bets off) I think I understand why they changed the starter for 2016's

I'm in the same boat. I was hoping that it was one of the relays, but they tested good. Also, jumping the terminal on the solenoid was just fine, so it is whatever is in between.

Like you I've gotten used to kickin' it, although I've been doing it without the priming kicks. It usually turns right over. One massive help was Ben at UralNW showing me an improved technique. With my right or left foot on the ground, I usually couldn't reach the throttle in time to blip it. Ben showed me the better method of standing on the left passenger peg, hands on both grips, and kicking. Works really well.

I got to get to the starter though. The Leftka air box sure does make getting it in an out a lot easier. Less that 50% of the effort.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:06 pm

tonered wrote: With my right or left foot on the ground, I usually couldn't reach the throttle in time to blip it. Ben showed me the better method of standing on the left passenger peg, hands on both grips, and kicking. Works really well.

I'll have to try that. Biggest problem I have reaching the throttle was getting to it with the Hippo Hands, but they came off yesterday :boogie:
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Tomcatfixer

Postby Tomcatfixer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Apparently still fighting with rear brake dragging issues. Just when I thought I had it licked! The brake got so hot, it almost locked-up. Disc got nice and discolored this time. Now, I'm just hanging out at a Shell station, waiting for it to cool down so I can tend to it. Yay, brand new bike that already received warranty service for this very problem!
2016-03-08 16.26.28.jpg
- Chad

Current rides:

Previous rides:

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:47 pm

chaos2 wrote:
tonered wrote: With my right or left foot on the ground, I usually couldn't reach the throttle in time to blip it. Ben showed me the better method of standing on the left passenger peg, hands on both grips, and kicking. Works really well.

I'll have to try that. Biggest problem I have reaching the throttle was getting to it with the Hippo Hands, but they came off yesterday :boogie:

Glad that I could help. :cheers:

I can feel the kick coming from here. I got a set of HHs to try out, but it never got that cold this winter. Soaking wet for too many days, but not that cold. Heck, I only had the winter gloves on for a day or two, otherwise just my three season gloves. Weird weather the past couple years.

Also, I'm fighting common sense while wanting to ditch the fairing.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

caycek5
Comrade
Comrade

Postby caycek5 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Took it on the interstate for a few miles during my test ride after I had to repair my rear tire this morning. I actually passed a couple of people (no, they were not parked on the shoulder). No pictures though so we know it really didn't happen.
2011 Gobi Gear-up

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:33 am

I took my new, cheap fat bike for a spin. One new hole in the old mount plate and I was ready to roll. I was surprised to find that the fork to rear wheel spacing is the same between my two very different bicycles. So, it is just a matter of a quick fork mount swap.

Hanging by the Trail.jpg

Mount-in Time.jpg

It is pretty hilarious that both the Ural and the fatty have the same 4.0 tire section, and just like the difference to my other motorcycle and bicycle, it is twice the weight, twice the effort, and half the speed. Haha! :cheers:

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

Ammo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Ammo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:25 pm

tonered wrote: twice the weight, twice the effort, and half the speed. Haha! :cheers:

no kidding! I just recently brought home a road bike after a few years riding trails on a full suspension bike - Holy Cow what a difference, its still amazing to me how much farther and faster I go with the same effort. I can only imagine how something with those tire would feel. :o
Mac
13 Patrol T
04 GSA
96 ATK605

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby tonered » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Ammo wrote:
tonered wrote: twice the weight, twice the effort, and half the speed. Haha! :cheers:

no kidding! I just recently brought home a road bike after a few years riding trails on a full suspension bike - Holy Cow what a difference, its still amazing to me how much farther and faster I go with the same effort. I can only imagine how something with those tire would feel. :o

Haha! A long time ago while I was at school, I borrowed a friend's road bike to get parts for my MTB. I found the exact same. I was flying down the road.

The fatty cuts the workout time in half! It's fun being slooooow like the Ural. The beauty with that particular bike is that it is cheap, but many folks say that it punches way above its weight considering the cost of other fat tire bikes. A good basic platform that can be built if it is a good fit. That's fits my mentality. =P

I've shed some weight off of it already and threw on some clipless pedals that I had in a bin to help lugging that thing up hills. I'm going to try a tubeless conversion to shed even more, very important weight and maybe do a triple chainring without a derailleur to help with different terrain. For bike paths, the original is good enough for now.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

GillaFunk
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby GillaFunk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:28 pm

chaos2 wrote:Having a look-see at why the starter just goes "clunk" Been off the bike for a week or two now and only miss it if I screw up the start sequence (2 kicks ign off, then ign on, choke if cold, one kick and if it doesn't fire all bets off) I think I understand why they changed the starter for 2016's

I just sold a rebuilt one I had laying around to Coluraldo, or whatever alias he uses now.
I had mine rebuilt professional. Bike starts MUUUUCH better and cleaner now.
Sgt. USMC 0311, 8156

2011 Gear-Up "سميرة" (Samira). Gone, it not forgotten

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”