Why Soviet Steeds? - and the SovietSteeds Manifesto!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Why Soviet Steeds? - and the SovietSteeds Manifesto!

Postby JohnBG » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:47 pm

Why did I create Soviet Steed Forums?

Well because Russian motorcycles are my hobby. It what I do with those spare moments that aren't absorbed by work, family and the demands of life. It keeps me sane (and sometimes makes me insane :roll: ).

I was a cronic contibutor to the Russian Iron Motorcycle Forms with almost 8,000 posts. I loved the site and spent many hours there learning, and sharing what I had learned with others with many technical write-ups and crazy off-topic rants. I did not do it for profit, but just for the love of doing it. The Admin of RIMC, Glenn, had let the board laguish due to either lack of time or interest. I tried unsucessfully to buy the site from him to keep it going and improve it as an "independent" not for profit community.

Instead Glenn sold RIMC to a Ural dealer for more money. I have no qualms with that particular Ural dealer, he's a straight shooter and a great guy.

However, I was not comfortable having my efforts being used as a potential profit making tool for someone else benfitting on the fruits of my hobby and passion that I gave to others for free. There's quite a few folks that feel the same way.

I wamt to create an "independent" site and forums where folks could share their thoughts, knowlege and ideas about Soviet/Russian/Ukrainan motorcyles without the manufactures or dealers involvement or anyone making a profit off of the contibutor's posting.

I will make thes pledges to all of you "the collective" members here:

1. Nobody owns SovietSteeds.com. Yeah, I sprung out the few dollars it took and spent the time and effort to create it. But I look at it as I am a steward of it, not an owner. SovietSteeds.com belongs to those who use it. If for some reason I lose interest in it or can't continue to maintain the site, I will pass it along for free to someone else who can take charge and care of it. It is not a commodity or property to be sold or traded, period.

2. SovietSteeds.com and the foums here is a "not for profit" enterprise. I don't do this for the money. I do it for the enjoyment and to help other Soviet motrocycle enthusiasts. It actually costs me money to do this. I have no plans to turn it into a revenue generating operation. I pay for it out of my pocket. If I ever get to the point where I can't afford it, I'll ask folks to chip in. If ya wanna donate some funds, I won't hesitate in taking them - ping me and I'll send ya my PayPal account address. On the flipside, if it ever produces any money, that will go to a charity or some worthwhile cause.

3. I intend to have several moderators and administrators to help take care of the site. Bill Glaser has already agreed to moderate the Hammerin' & Wrenchin' technical section of the forums. Mylash has also volunteered to be a moderator. If you are interested in being a moderator or help with the site, please by all means, let me know. "If ya don't like what ya see - volunteer!"

4. All content on this site and forums is copyright by it's creator or contributor. But it is given with an intent to help each other out freely. Don't copy text, pictures or anything else from the site without first consulting the person who posted it and get their permission.

5. If there is something you would like to see or an idea you have to improve the site - I'm all ears! I will try to make this the best site and forum on the world wide web for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycles. Please be patient with me as the site and forums develop.

Thanks for listening to my "manifesto" and welcome to the Soviet Steeds forums.

I hope you enjoy the site as much as I have putting it together. I hope we all get someting out of it "collectively". :D

John "JohnBG" Grocke
Last edited by JohnBG on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Black Kow"
History: '98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Ragman
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Ragman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:05 pm

I am hoping this works out fine.. I rather think it will, because I will happily post here, until you are totally fed up with me. :)

Should my services be required as something, do not hesitate to ask.
Милаж
I'm kind of broken now.
2012 Can Am Spyder - Bright Red
Gone Now:
2011 Урал 'Готовьтесь' - лес Камуфляж
2010 but New Yamaha TW 200
2005 Урал Турист- Black - converted to 2wd . missed very much. * 2002 Yamaha TW 200 - 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet - . * many others lost in the fog of time.

chicagorandy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

A MILLION Thanks John

Postby chicagorandy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:00 pm

It's nice to have a place where 'everybody knows yer name and they're always glad you came' or some such thing -
ChicagoRandy

Former Ural driver of Tovarishch - 82,825 since new - sold 08/14/11

1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII - 1200cc's of two wheel bliss
"Down the highway of life at smiles per hour, with special attention to ignorant and blind cagers"

Mud Pie
Commissar
Commissar

Postby Mud Pie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:53 am

Good luck, John !! :D

You Da Man !! I think this site will take off, I'll be checking in all the time, this I know !

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Hello From Marty L

Postby MartyL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:35 pm

Hello!!! I'm here! I've arrived! I hope I'm welcome. John, congratulations on your new website. If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to call me or e-mail me. Maybe I can be a moderator or something like that? I've never done that before so I would need some instruction. Anyway. Glad to be here. Peace.... :D
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

VWNate1
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

THANX John !

Postby VWNate1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:43 pm

I wasn't aware of what's happened @ RIMC .

I'll try to check in here when I can .
-Nate
'94 Tourist 650
'96 650 Solo
'10 Solo sT

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby Bural » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Looks great, John. Thank you for your effort.
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 For sale soon
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

rapidrider

Postby rapidrider » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:51 am

Thanks John.

It's looking good already. I'm sure you'll see many folks using this site.

:)
Ken

Dub
Comrade
Comrade

Offer soem free beer John, and they WILL come!!!

Postby Dub » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 pm

:lol:

Dubeers
Dub

DneprHeaven is waiting

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Re: Offer soem free beer John, and they WILL come!!!

Postby JohnBG » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Dub wrote::lol:

Dubeers

Welcome Dub!
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Black Kow"
History: '98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Dub
Comrade
Comrade

Cheers!

Postby Dub » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Thanks John.

Good to see the red carpet is where I thought it would be.....

:wink:

Dub
Dub

DneprHeaven is waiting

Gummiente
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Postby Gummiente » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:02 am

Congrats and best of luck with this new forum, John! I left RI because the political and religious "discussions" were overshadowing the bike talk and many attitudes (including mine) were negatively affected by it. And, yes, the Harley bashing was wearing on my nerves. I had felt that the former owner lost interest in running the site long ago and from your explanation on the recent sequence of events, that feeling was confirmed. I am sure Terry Crawford will be a positive influence there, but I'm still very hesitant to renew my membership.

I am hoping that Soviet Steeds will be a bike forum first and foremost, with the emphasis on bikes and not political or religious differences. I know such forums can exist, because I'm a member on a few of them and I'm hoping that Soviet Steeds will become another long term bookmark and valuable resource... with the members it has attracted so far that certainly seems to be the way it is headed!

Dub
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Dub » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 am

Hear, hear!

I agree completely, Mike.

Let's talk bikes and beer.... and leave the rest to to unwashed.

Wait a minute....

Hmmm....

Dub
Dub

DneprHeaven is waiting

bigedf150

hello everyone!

Postby bigedf150 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:37 am

i was wondering where everybody went!!!
well, its always good to have a fresh start, good luck and good job john!

retroone
Comrade General
Comrade General

Postby retroone » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:29 pm

John,
Thanks for letting me join the Soviet Steeds. My ride is a 2005 Retro with 46,000km and going strong. My other bikes are a 2006 KTM 640 adventure, 2007 BMW 1200GSAdventure. I just love to ride!
Derek Van Wart

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”