Attention Newly Registered Members!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Birdrider

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Postby Birdrider » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Coluralado wrote:
Birdrider wrote:Hi all.
I'm new to the forum and have just registered. I live in Germany close to Belgium and Nederland.
I own a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 as a solo bike and like it very much. But I think I'm in love with a Ural gear up because I'm looking for a winter bike that can also be used off-road. So I went to different forums seeking informations and ended up here. Love to watch all the pics here and to read all the stories. Might have a lot of questions before ordering the Ural bike by end of summer (the plan so far).
Best Elmar
:cheers:

Welcome to the insanity!!! Once the Ural bug has bit you, there is no cure. Where in Germany do you live?

Hi. I live in Cologne.

Albuquralque
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Albuquralque » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Birdrider wrote:
Coluralado wrote:
Birdrider wrote:Hi all.
I'm new to the forum and have just registered. I live in Germany close to Belgium and Nederland.
I own a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 as a solo bike and like it very much. But I think I'm in love with a Ural gear up because I'm looking for a winter bike that can also be used off-road. So I went to different forums seeking informations and ended up here. Love to watch all the pics here and to read all the stories. Might have a lot of questions before ordering the Ural bike by end of summer (the plan so far).
Best Elmar
:cheers:

Welcome to the insanity!!! Once the Ural bug has bit you, there is no cure. Where in Germany do you live?

Hi. I live in Cologne.

Beautiful country....I spent 4 years in the Kastellaun (Hunsruck) area....south of Koblenz. Loved everything about it!
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

HPFlashman

Postby HPFlashman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Greetings from Norway.

Just joined a couple of days ago and have been wading through lots and lots of interesting treads and posts. Not anywhere near a motorcyclist other than in spirit and with some forays into getting a light bike at youth, but have always had a soft spot for the older machines and stumbled over the Urals by googling for them as I remember them from an importer in the early 90s over here.

Back then, over here, they had three different prices, a stock Russian machine for the princely sum of around $4200, a medium priced one, at $6200, with an entirely rewiring of the electrical system and the top end one at $8400, with the rewiring, new tires and a teared down and rebuilt/Quality controlled engine. According to a friend of mine, who was chummy with the then importer, the latter one was the good deal as they had found an assortment of loose debris in the new engines, everything from broken piston rings to surplus screws on the depth of the engines.

Anyhow, I quite fancy the utility of the Urals and I am currently working the sums as to if taking the bike licence and getting one for the hell of it. I have also registered on the FB page, glad to be aboard.

And finally, the obligatory question: The bike looks quite large, but as I am of a somewhat bigger than average size at 6`7", how do you fellows thing the bike would fit? :D
Best regards,

Harry

UralTouristKlr650guy
Comrade
Comrade

Postby UralTouristKlr650guy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:45 am

Hi all ..
I'm new on here .. Been tryin to get in for over a month an the sign in crap wouldn't work for me but I'm here now so here goes .. Name is Robert and live in Western Australia on a farm as a farmhand/Roadtrain driver.. I currently own a 2013 Blu Ural sidecar Outfit and a 2008 Kawasaki Klr 650 dual sport as well .. My dog ( blue heller ) Missie rides with me every where I go even on the Klr .. Love campin , beach , motorbike ridin , travel , gettin to meet new people , movies .. Not married if any single lady's out there .. Lol ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I own a 08 Klr650 with Farkles and now have seen the light of my ways at not havin this URAL bike before this time .. Lol .. MAN this the best fun with my cloths on .. Lol ....

Albuquralque

Postby Albuquralque » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:00 am

Welcome Robert and congrats on the 2013 "Blue" Ural!!! You know that blue is the fastest color Ural built! :thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby thumper05flstsc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 am

HPFlashman wrote:Greetings from Norway.

Just joined a couple of days ago and have been wading through lots and lots of interesting treads and posts. Not anywhere near a motorcyclist other than in spirit and with some forays into getting a light bike at youth, but have always had a soft spot for the older machines and stumbled over the Urals by googling for them as I remember them from an importer in the early 90s over here.

Back then, over here, they had three different prices, a stock Russian machine for the princely sum of around $4200, a medium priced one, at $6200, with an entirely rewiring of the electrical system and the top end one at $8400, with the rewiring, new tires and a teared down and rebuilt/Quality controlled engine. According to a friend of mine, who was chummy with the then importer, the latter one was the good deal as they had found an assortment of loose debris in the new engines, everything from broken piston rings to surplus screws on the depth of the engines.

Anyhow, I quite fancy the utility of the Urals and I am currently working the sums as to if taking the bike licence and getting one for the hell of it. I have also registered on the FB page, glad to be aboard.

And finally, the obligatory question: The bike looks quite large, but as I am of a somewhat bigger than average size at 6`7", how do you fellows thing the bike would fit? :D

Welcome. At 6'7" I think you will find it to be a bit cramped at best. I am a little over 6'3" and felt the need to modify the seat mount to raise me both up and back. I am still getting use to the rearward foot position after riding Harley cruisers for the last 44 years but as I ride more I am getting more comfortable with it. The fun factor of the Ural far outweighs the (to me) cramped riding position however.
Forrest fog 2013 Gear Up. "IT"........GONE Replaced with an Indian Springfield.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

Birdrider

Postby Birdrider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi thumper.
Have you already realized the seat modification that puts you higher and more backwards?
I'm just asking because I'm also quite tall and I'm curious to see a modification like that.
Cheers
Elmar :cheers:

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby thumper05flstsc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Birdrider wrote:Hi thumper.
Have you already realized the seat modification that puts you higher and more backwards?
I'm just asking because I'm also quite tall and I'm curious to see a modification like that.
Cheers
Elmar :cheers:

This is what I have. The seat is mounted to an aftermarket "pogo" set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Birdrider

Postby Birdrider » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:46 am

Hi.
Thanks for the pic. Looks good, I think that will do it. Can this be ordered somewhere? Do you have a link?
Would be helpful.
Best
Elmar

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby thumper05flstsc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 am

The actual seat unit can be ordered, What it is mounted on however was fabricated by the shop where I bought my bike. That was part of the deal, I said I'd buy one only it they could they fabricate a way to mount my "pogo" seat on it as I felt the stock setup would be way too uncomfortable for me.

Here is a link to the "pogo seat" mount. The seat itself is a Harley old style which I believe is still available through Harley-Davidson or can be found on ebay.

http://www.retrocycle.com/CustomChromeS ... odels.html

Birdrider

Postby Birdrider » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Ok. That's a very good advice. :)
Maybe I can also sort it out with my dealer that they can mount something like that. The seat actually looks very cool (old style) to me. Fits the Ural IMO.
Thanks for advice again.
Best
Elmar

mikey56
Comrade
Comrade

Postby mikey56 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 pm

My old ride
63543_176836319010380_2437743_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 GU forest fog
P/A ignition
2 in 1 exhaust
high output oil pump

1/2 ACR B troop 3rd herd 1974-76
Toujours Pret

siberman1

Postby siberman1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi Birdrider!

I had friends help me near Cologne, I don't know really where I was- off in countryside somewhere. They helped me prep a Suzuki DR650 for trip from there to Vladivostok! What a journey and ride!! Germany is such a beautiful, but crowded, place...

Be well and wear a smile!

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

UralTouristKlr650guy
Comrade
Comrade

Postby UralTouristKlr650guy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:25 am

Coluralado wrote:Welcome Robert and congrats on the 2013 "Blue" Ural!!! You know that blue is the fastest color Ural built! :thumbsup:

Thanks M8

Yer she is a runner now as I have only been runnin round between 80-95kmh sofar but whet to town the other week after doin my carby flange KOK & second hand reconditioned rear end for a runn and sat on my 100kmh easy and was catching a Roadtrain as well .. God thing is good ....

Sent to where ever I like .. Lol ....
Mostly on IPad with tap talk ....
I own a 08 Klr650 with Farkles and now have seen the light of my ways at not havin this URAL bike before this time .. Lol .. MAN this the best fun with my cloths on .. Lol ....

cheryleberes4

Postby cheryleberes4 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Hello all,
We are new on the forum, but not new to Urals. We just had a great experience purchasing a 2014 Patrol in Pueblo Colorado at a great dealership. The Ural truck for demo rides and the dealership grand opening was underway the day we showed up and purchased our 2nd Ural. We can't wait for it to arrive from New Jersey.
I hope we can contribute to the forum and enjoy reading it.
Anyone interested in riding Colorado this summer with us, please let us know.
Cheryle & Kim :cheers:

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”