Attention Newly Registered Members!

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Michal
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Attention Newly Registered Members!

Postby Michal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:18 pm

To Vladimir>
Welkome Zeloniy!
I used to look for good ideas on oppozit.ru but my Russian is too weak so it takes me ages to read each post. So I do rarely.
By my deeds I honor him, flat twin.
Михаил
2002 Днепр 650 Молодежный Чоппер (КМЗ-8.157.022)
2005 Урал 750 Спортсман (2WD)

wolfbuzz

Postby wolfbuzz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Heya Riders,

Have yet to obtain a Ural but I did test drive one just the other day... Talk about a good time (especially with my lady friend in the sidecar). I figure in a couple of years when I graduate I'll pick one up. More specifically, a matte green or potentially winter camo Gear Up edition. Cheers!
2012 Kawasaki Blue/White KLR 650

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Postby JohnBG » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Vladimir[Oppozit.ru] wrote:Greetings denizens of the forum!
I didn't want to be here. I swear! I was looking for a job and read my forum Oppozit.ru. But somewhere on Oppozit was a link I clicked. After reading some topics, I realized that there are the same as we are just on the other side of the earth. With same as our interests and concerns. We have only two differences: most of us are younger than 40 and most of us have URAL as the first motorcycle in life.
I will be glad to offer my knowledge in the field of repair and maintenance motorcycle. As well as reveal a few secrets related to the topic of magic and Ural starting wizardy. :bow:

In advance sorry for my English, use an online translator and knowledge from school.

Welcome Vlad! :D
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Black Kow"
History: '98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Postby Lmo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Last man in July, 2012?!? Lew Morris here. Haven't had a chair since the 80s when I worked for the Vetter Corporation as lead designer of the Terraplane II project. The company went down shortly thereafter when Mr.V sold it to a conniving "financier". I'm currently trying to land a Richard Winters Dnepr/R90 BMW conversion that's here in California. Want it bad but the Glorious State of Fornia is a PITA to deal with. More later, maybe.
Lew Morris
Pismo Beach, California, 93449.
1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1963 Dnural (Frankenepr)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)
My dad always told me I could wreck a two hundred pound anvil with a rubber mallet.

jwaller
Comrade
Comrade

Postby jwaller » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:50 am

Hello all,

I just made a down payment on this new 2014 Patrol in San Antonio, TX :D . Looking forward to picking it up on Tuesday and looking forward to learning about this bike through experience and through this website.

2014 Ural Patrol
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, there's no looking back
jwaller is loving life, on his shiny red Ural hack.
Rolling through the hill country, one hand on the throttle .
It moves about as fast as ketchup flowing from the bottle.
Ketchup. Ketchup.
:boogie:

Aria22

Postby Aria22 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:33 pm

I also spend much of my online time at ADV. (I'm madeouttaglass over there.) You'll find a good bunch of folks here too. Best of luck with your health issues. Unfortunately the same kind of thing happens in my family. I guess we have to have fun while we can.

are12c

Postby are12c » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Another ADVRider here under the name CrazyMike.

So very interested in getting a Ural. Anybody up for meeting me somewhere to show off yours...and maybe take me for a spin so I can make up my mind? ;-)
:loco: Cray Mike

Tomcatfixer

Postby Tomcatfixer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:55 am

After years of researching and agonizing over whether or not to purchase one and deciding which model would be right for me, I finally ordered a burnt orange 2015 cT from Ural of New England. I'm currently at sea and cannot wait to get back home to see what Ural ownership is all about! The picture above is from UofNE's website and is fairly representative of what I bought, except for the rear tractor seat, which I THOUGHT came with the bike (there was a disclaimer). From the dealership, I also ordered the leg shields, the left cylinder crash bar, windshields for both bike and sidecar, arm rests, the nose and retro trunk racks, the first aid kit, baraholka boxes, the sidecar mirror, the reverse-only shift lever, a fender rack (would have ordered two, but I thought that there would be a tractor seat on the rear fender), and a cover for the whole thing. From Amazon, I ordered a Jerry can and mount, heated grips, H4 headlight lens and LED bulb, and Garmin Zumo 590 WITH the 3 tire pressure monitor sensors. What am I missing?!

For years, I was certain that I wanted a GearUp, but some soul-searching revealed that I would probably not take the bike off road much and would frequently be on multi-lane surface roads, which makes the cT a more realistic proposition.
- Chad

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 1999 Ural Tourist "Desert DisGrace: the Iron (Oxide) Curtain", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazer

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1986 Yamaha FZX700S (a different one than above)

motoleo

Postby motoleo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:20 am

Nice rig... one of my favorite colors! Offhand I can't think of anything you are missing. Good luck with it.
motoleo
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic rig
94 Ural Tourist (sidecar waiting to be done)
?? Dnepr MT-11 project
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic solo
07 Patrol-never quite done :)

chisler

Postby chisler » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:05 am

Hello again to one and all, it's been a very long time since I visited this forum, life and all that jazz has kept me away, however I've signed back in to say hello and hopefully you will let me re-join. I still have my 1995 Dnepr, I took it off the road 2 years ago whereupon it's sat covered up in my shed. The time has come to get it back together, I have started by stripping it down to to the frame for a complete resto job (therapy for myself :) ) so far I've resprayed the frame and swing-arm, next is the engine, have ordered some steel to make an engine stand so that I can start stripping it down, to rebuild with new inner-eds. So far i have taken loads of photo's so hopefully I will be able to put it back together again, fingers crossed. I look forward to contributing to the forum.
kind regards
Chisler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Dnepr 650cc outfit
1978 Bombardier Can Am 250cc
1984 Armstrong 500c
1994 Harley Davidson MT 350cc

wordguy

Postby wordguy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2005 Patrol with a Richard Winters conversion to an R90/6 motor. You may have seen this rig discussed on here before.

I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years, but I'm a newbie to sidecars, and Urals (and to airhead motors, for that matter :shock: ).

I've already learned a lot from these forums, and I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.

(I'm also on ADV, and also "wordguy" over there.)

-Alan
2005 Ural Patrol with BMW R90/6 conversion

cheeseheadmike
Party Member
Party Member

Postby cheeseheadmike » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Hiya-I'm looking to make the splash into a Ural later this spring. Not sure what rig I'll latch onto yet but there is a local dealer and they show up on CL around here every now and then. I'm not askeered of having to wrench on anything (see my sig) and a Ural may help keep my sanity as MLW has just retired. Currently rebuilding a a 1968 Toro 910 for her. Anyway, hello all.
Mike (cheesy at chinariders.net)
cheeseheadmike

1973 Velosolex 3800-slow, 1977 Velosolex 4600-really slow
1979 Honda CX500-not slow at all
Various bicycles from 1952 to 2014-slow to fast, depending on my mood
2007 Ural Gear Up

micahbf

Postby micahbf » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been drooling over Urals for quite awhile, and this morning I bit the bullet and sent a check to Stormseller for this beautiful '09 Sahara Gear Up.

You'll probably be hearing from me a lot more as I get up to speed with this thing, figuratively and literally!
Also if anyone in the SF Bay Area would ever want to show me the ropes, either riding technique wise, or mechanically, I would certainly be down for that. In the mean time, I'm studying up with the yellow book.

Cheers!
Micah
'09 Sahara Gear Up

iwantural

Postby iwantural » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:23 am

Hello everyone,
I've joined in order to get some information and advice. I have a wish to own an Ural. Saw an add for used Ural and asked for help and advice.
I'm from Croatia.
Kind regards,
V
No rig yet, looking to make a wish come true and buy one. :)

BlueRockCrawler

Postby BlueRockCrawler » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Hello all,
After 10 or so years of kicking around the idea, I finally am old enough and have enough credit to purchase a Ural. After riding my little shadow 2 hours to get a look and ride, and Dennis @ More Than Motorcycles shoving a home cooked meal down my throat, I purchased a new 2015 patrol which I took delivery of last night. (it was like looking at puppies, of course you're going home with one) I very much like to commute and run errands without a cage as much as is practical and I put over 8k miles on the shadow last year and am now learning how to ride again. Nice to meet you all :cheers:
2015 Ural Patrol
previous Honda's were
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”