IMWA Increased discounts on new bikes

Welcome Comrade! Pull up a barstool and order yourself a virtual vodka or Baltika and enjoy the camaraderie of other Soviet bloc bike enthusiasts. Nastrovya! This is the place for generic conversations about bikes and life in general.
Forum rules
This is the place for general discussion about motorcycles and life in general. No political posts. Use The "Other" Toy Box section for other bikes, guns, collectibles or hobbies.
Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

IMWA Increased discounts on new bikes

Postby Kilometers2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 pm

As of a couple hours ago IMWA just added an extra $500 trade in allowance on top of what a dealer will give you on a trade in to go along with their fall $1000 off any new bike campaign. Wonder if dealers will lower the amount they will take your trade in for knowing that it will get bumped up an extra $500?

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/911335214562942976

https://www.imz-ural.com/offers
Miles aka Kilometers

On a hiatus to try out hacking my Harley after owning and loving a 2007 Gear Up, 2014 Patrol, and a 2016 Gear Up. If a Harley/Hannigan rig doesn't make me feel like my Urals did I will be in the market for a black with white pin stripes Retro.

Eric N
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2017

Re: IMWA Increased discounts on new bikes

Postby Eric N » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am

I found it odd that the discount is "while supplies last". Normally the discount is until the end of the current month. They've had the $500 added to the trade deal for months, but it was $500 off and $500 towards a trade-in.

2018 changes tend to be announced in late October. I suspect sales have been slow, but it's possible there is some major change for 2018. We'll see.
2001 Patrol

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Postby harryball » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:47 am

I now have cash enough to buy one rig outright and still have both my current rigs in the garage (read that as possible trade/sale against a second new rig for my wife). Ural has offered up to $1500 in discounts to boot and yet... I'm not buying. I've been almost a cheerleader for Ural so Why? Why am I hesitant?

As I read and hear more about new owner's experiences (some of which are direct contact, not even posted here), I'm just more and more torn about buying a new rig. I don't know that Ural has enough bugs worked out yet. I'm waiting to see what the 2018's look like. In the meantime, I'm going to keep riding what I have and keeping an eye on the used market too.

Buy a new rig, take a chance?
Buy a used "new" rig with 10k on it with some warranty left, let someone else "test" for major problems first?
Buy a used rig even without a warranty and deal with it?
Buy a different sidecar rig altogether knowing my primary desire is cruising, not going off road?

I'm just thinking out loud here, I truly have not decided what we ought to do. But I do know if I bought a new rig there is no way I'd let it sit for 2 months at a dealer needing warranty work. I've tried to analyze some of the stories new owners are sharing wondering what "they did wrong" but it seems less and less it is the owner's or dealer fault on many of these stories. I can certainly replace a failed clutch and fix many other issues myself, but should I have to?

I also can't figure out why some of these new owners are "so forgiving" as I would be more apt to tow it to Washington and throw it through someone's front door with the stories I've heard. Paint falling off, brake rotors falling off, brakes locking up, brakes not working at all, won't start, eating donuts like they are free, vibrations and that blasted low fuel light not working. It very much seems luck of the draw because others have a very different experience, 10 or 20k and no problems at all.

I love these rigs and am under no delusion about them, they need care and maintenance like no other modern rig. But there is no excuse for some of the issues described by new owners, no excuse except poor workmanship and quality.

So, I remain torn.
---
2008 - Tourist - "Ursula" / 30mpg / 32k as of 9/2017
2010 - Patrol - "The Rattler" / 32 mpg / 53k as of 9/2017
K28 tires on both rigs, pusher gets about 6000 miles give or take.
3/8" toe in and 2.5 degree lean
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Lokiboy
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby Lokiboy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Harryball, a good observation. If my 2011 ever bit the dust I would have to think long and hard about buying another Ural - I’d probably seek out a pre 2104. Like you said, it’s not the rig, persay, but the routine failures on the newer rigs that would push me away.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
70,000 km and counting

stagewex

Postby stagewex » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Sadly I have the same thoughts as Harry & Lokiboy. The '14's didn't "move-me" when they came out . Perhaps I was looking too forward to all the advertised improvements but instead found that there was so much drama with the software programs (on-road/off-road/whatever-road) that I was glad to not be a beta-tester. I applaud those who are. This seemed to have been all worked out now but of course being on any forum you are going to hear the best and worst of things.
Some of the more current issues for simple improvements continue to convince me that while a very caring company at the top the more these things get more technical combined with a true lack of real qualified dealer network there is no incentive for me to sell my perfect running '07 for anything newer. This stuff I've read for example about the speedometer not working on shipped bikes (thank goodness someone here figured it out), idiot lights, false codes, etc. leave me no confidence in the new technology or QC at Ural.
Not torn about that at all. But definitely disappointed.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1969 BMW r60/2US

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Postby URAL CT » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 pm

I wonder what the difference in failure rates are between the "newer" 1WD vs 2WD? :?
I have a 2007 Patrol, other than one failed FD (due to 2 broken teeth at the ring gear), all the other issues I have had were self inflicted. I've also removed the 2WD driveshaft as of 3 yrs ago and my Ural seem to be fine with it. I don't go off-roading any longer but I can always remount the driveshaft back on if needed.
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

wooden nickel

Postby wooden nickel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 pm

I bought the first year of EFI and was fairly sure it was going to have some problems. Every first year after a major upgrade does. And I have had some real good ones. Sticky throttle slides. A couple different EFI tunes. Blown bottom rod bearing. Right EFI failed in a downpour. Bad clutch arm. Final drive mount bolt pulled through the case. I noticed the new cover has a steel plate under both bolt heads. Mine only had it under one. Guess which one failed?
I still love my bike and if this one dies before I do and I can afford it, I will probably get another one. I am no longer in a hurry and it doesn't seem to like to hurry. If I had a faster rig, I know I would most likely ride faster. With my slower reflexes, I really shouldn't ride fast. This rig reminds me quickly if I try to push it.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 pm

The impressions that internet forums can give aren't necessarily accurate....and that's being generous.

Yesterday I put a payment in full for a 2018 M70 in the mail, and did it with confidence.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol, 2018 M70
Wind-Mill MK-III aircleaner conversion,
Custom foam filter element,
42/135 jets,
OE needles, 2 shims,
air screws at 5.03 "Hg,
Ural European performance exhaust (cats intact).
Spin on filter conversion,

Eric N

Postby Eric N » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:15 am

windmill wrote:The impressions that internet forums can give aren't necessarily accurate....and that's being generous.

Yesterday I put a payment in full for a 2018 M70 in the mail, and did it with confidence.

Go to a Honda forum and you'll read about all sorts of problems. 100 people complaining about a Goldwing when over a million bikes have been built.

Ural produces about 1,000 bikes a year for worldwide distribution (I think that's the 2010 production but still probably close).

Where those complaints on the Honda forum would account for what, 0.01% of owners complaining? the percentage of complaints to bikes produced by Ural is absurdly high.

I've rebuilt a fair chunk of my Patrol, my Honda is a year older with 4x the miles hasn't had anything other than routine maintenance. Having seen the insides of my bike, I firmly believe it's an archaic design that will not have the reliability of a modern bike.

Would I feel comfortable buying a new Ural? Of course. Would I feel it's going to be problem free for 50,000 miles? Heck no. Know what you're buying.

Two days ago a UDF at a local supermarket, the guy wanted to buy a Ural to do high speed cruising. I laughed. He said the Ural marketing says they can go all day at 75 miles per hour, so it shouldn't really hurt them to go faster than that. Perhaps the impressions that internet forums can give balances out the impressions that marketing can give and somewhere between the two is the truth.
2001 Patrol

chaos2

Postby chaos2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 am

I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. I would have never bought mine if I had logically processed everything I read about them. The new ones have issues but so did the older ones. Remember the "it didn't break today" thread? :lol:
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby gobium » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:54 am

My od ural are faithful why do i want to trade it in?
Efi i s nice but i can modifing my carb ural to out perform any 2017 or 18

:FI:Igor

Postby :FI:Igor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 am

On my second Ural. If I totalled this one, I'd be at the dealer ordering a new one.
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)

Kthulu

Postby Kthulu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:35 am

After replacing the oversized butterflies in the throttle bodies and a couple of rims that cracked due to over-tightened spokes, my 2015 M70 has been spectacular. I mostly ride it around town, but I don't hesitate to take it on longer trips to the beach or mountains. Doesn't burn any oil, doesn't leak fluids anywhere but the ooze around the FD vent. With the OR map, it'll cruise quite happily for long periods at 60mph and still have some on tap in case I need it.

Not saying it's perfect or that it will never fail me ('specially since I probably just jinxed myself...), but I am very happy with my EFI rig and would buy another without reservation if something happened to mine.
2015 M70 - "Orlog"

atlasheating
Comrade
Comrade

Postby atlasheating » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:44 am

I don't know if I would ever buy a brand new one. I would love to check out the F.I. compared to my 04 carbs.
I am not under any notion that these bikes are made well.
Besides guns, what is a product made in Russia that is known for it's quality.
On the other hand, where can you get a brand new Motorcycle that is made almost the same as it was in 1950?

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Postby windmill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 am

Eric N wrote: Perhaps the impressions that internet forums can give balances out the impressions that marketing can give and somewhere between the two is the truth.

Having personally known the folks at IMWA for a decade, I don't need to form an opinion based on either of those considerations.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol, 2018 M70
Wind-Mill MK-III aircleaner conversion,
Custom foam filter element,
42/135 jets,
OE needles, 2 shims,
air screws at 5.03 "Hg,
Ural European performance exhaust (cats intact).
Spin on filter conversion,

Return to “The Virtual Watering Hole”